Up From Mediocrity: Ajax 2023-24

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You’re not missing anything turning it off.

also some A+ time wasting from the Norwegians too.

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  2. klattamaniac

klattamaniac Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The number of sideways/backwards passes is just staggering...

pfloyd repped this.
  3. Well, if that's the case the number of successfull passes will be staggering too.

4. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Well, how about that finish! Something to work with in Norway at least

5. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Too little, too late.

6. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The king of backpassing is Hato - 9 out of 10 times he passes the ball it's to the keeper or to the nearest fellow defender. Obviously the coach has nothing against it as it's going match in match out.

7. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would like to see Rijkhoff start in the return leg.
    Even though his shot missed, he showed good athletic ability on that bicycle kick

8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not enough proactive movement and far too slow in possession.
    Too many spaces between the lines defensively because of lack of movement off the ball.
    Not enough pressure on the ball.
    Ajax don’t appear very good from a fitness standpoint to play with a pressing style.
    Missed creativity and running of Bergwijn once again.
    Midfield creativity is lacking.
    Sutalo doesn’t like having the ball.
    Far too many backwards and sideways passes from him.
    Branco comes in and has ability to play the ball forward and progressive passes.
    Ramaj in goal sucks.
    Akpom can’t play football.
    Taylor needs to see the couch permanently.
    Brobbey needs better help and proper supply. Far too much long ball while he is getting mugged.
    Nothing special from Knutsen.
    No great football but excellent time wasting from the Norwegians.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just when all is lost and the team is horrible once more, two late goals get a draw and send Ajax to the frozen wilds of Norway next week with a bit of a chance to advance in the Conference League. Van't Schip made a real bad decision on the starting lineup putting Akpom in at 10 where he was useless (he continued to be useless when he was moved out to the left wing in the 2nd half and Hlynsson slotted in MF). Now that Rijkoff is back in Amsterdam, I won't shed a tear if Akpom moves back to England. Goojier was awful in almost every aspect of the game. I could not figure out who was at fault on the first goal despite seeing the play from a bunch of angles. Ramaj was anchored and Hato and Henderson were converging on the G/G player. Brobbey agains needs to be singled out as one who is always putting top effort into the match.

It is so hard to watch this team play!!!!

Player Ratings:

Ramaj (5) - stats said he made a save but I could not remember it
    Goojier (3) - absolute horror show
    Rensch (5) - played only the first half at CB
    Sutalo (6)- - decent enough for me
    Hato (6.5) - Cal Ripken streak continues and he was OK, starting at LB in the first half but staying home as Ajax were playing with 3 in the back to prevent counters (didn't really work all that well)
    Henderson (5) - average and no more
    Taylor (5) - didn't do anything major one way or the other with two relatively weak shots in the first half
    Akpom (4) - gets this 'high' score only because of the hard shot that required a good save in the first half
    Berghuis (5.5) - pretty bad game UNTIL the great chip to even the score in added time
    Brobbey (7) - had two headers he probably should have put away but his effort was double everyone else
    Hlynsson (5) - looked like an orphan boy on the LW in the first half, a little better in the second
    Sosa (5.5) - didn't need to do much defending and had some good crosses including the one that ended up at Berghuis for the tying goal
    Forbs (4.5) - on for Akpom and ran around a lot
    van den Boomen (5.5) - well taken penalty and had some good passes but he is really too slow to play as a starter
    Rijkoff (NR) - on late and he would have received a 10 had the overhead kick gone in
    Gaaei (NR) - on late

Back to league play and then the rematch in Norway next week.

10. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They can't play with two strikers. With Bergwijn injured there is not threat from the left wing and Berghuis is not much a threat from the right. Only option would be 4-4-2 but that's against Ajax DNA

12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hato has little help as Sutalo can’t play football.
    Sutalo with plenty of space often in front of him he rarely does anything but pass the ball back or sideways.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    So it makes them two kings. Even if Baresi plays next to Hato nothing will change. His creativity is so limited that when not defending he has no idea what to do with the ball so he just gets rid of it. When defending his decision making is good and he overall is a very stable defender.

15. So he's a kind of Tete, who I judged to be the best defender of the Eredivisie at that time, but contributed next to nothing attacking wise to Ajax.

16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wow you’re really down on Hato.
    The only problem I see for him is that he needs to greatly improve his aerial ability, and his physical strength and the latter will improve as he’s only 17.
    His reading of the game and hunting of the ball is very good.
    Look he’s going to make mistakes and certainly with the loads of garbage around him in this Ajax side that’s a given, but it’s not anywhere near his fellow defenders.
    Hato brings the ball forward and looks to play football while Sutalo is completely lost back there, and wants nothing to do with the ball while the guy to his left quite often Sosa has zero clue defensively, and is just too slow to get to the ball if he decides to run.
    It’s a bad Ajax team, and for most Ajax fans Hato’s been a rare positive in the mostly negative team and season.

17. Is that AZ guy starting in two weeks or was it at the end of march?
    He has some Augean stable to clean up.

aveslacker repped this.
  18. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twente drops points to Kutrecht. If our lead holds, we might still be able to catch them yet.

19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pathetic once again with so many inept players who don’t deserve to wear the shirt.
    Absolutely tired of the lack of running, defensive awareness, slow passing, and overall clueless play.
    Ramaj in goal is lost also

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    'm not sure that I can watch this team play any more this season. Just another flat performance with poor play from a number of individuals. IMO, Rensch was at fault on both NEC goals though others surely contributed as well. When you have a 2-1 lead with minutes to play, the game just has to be killed off. But as we suffering supporters well know this season, that is just not possible. Despite everyone on the coaching staff knowing what the key problem is, they cannot do anything about it as self-destruction is just a moment away. Why are the FBs always facing 2 on 1 situations??? Brobbey again with a great match and took a lot of punishment along the way. Hato was unfortunate to get the own goal. Ramaj was great but had two key bad plays. The less said about Tahirovic, the better. Hlynsson has to stay in the MF where he is dangerous. Despite having a chance to move up in the table, this club doesn't deserve to be any better the fifth place. They are just NOT good.

Player Ratings:

Ramaj (7) - made some great saves but had his kicking was poor
    Goojier (6) - twice he had to face two attackers which should never happen
    Rensch (4.5) - he had a couple of good plays but did poorly on the first goal and his man was right in front of him on the second that tied the game
    Sutalo (6.5) - thought he was decent
    Hato (6.5) - Cal Ripkent streak continues and the own goal was just unfortunate
    Tahirovic (4) - he needs to move to what ever club Frank de Boer is managing these days
    Henderson (6.5) - gives 100% but his best days are just a dream right now
    Taylor (5.5) - wasn't all that bad but also did not stand out at all, Hlynsson is a more dangerous attacker
    Hlynsson (6) - his pass to Brobbe on the second goal was good and he needs to stay in the MF
    Brobbey (7.5) - got credit for the first goal and was tireless in all aspects of the game; the rest of the team is letting him down
    Banel (6) - reaction to the Brobbey lay off was superb and that was it in terms of highlights; he is not ready for this level
    van den Boomen (6.5) - he is the only player on this team that has any field awareness, too bad he is a step too slow
    Forbs (6) - nice goal but almost lost it with a poor 2nd touch
    Martha (5.5) - worked hard on this cameo and added quickness on the right side
    Rijkoff (NR) - on late for a tired Brobbey and drew a foul at the end but Ajax did not have a play to score

Bodo/Glimt in Norway and for once in a long time I am out of optimism for this team and with Thursday night football they will not be favored in Alkmaar next Sunday. A loss there will put an end to this dismal season.

BPBlueSox and richsavare repped this.
  21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Ramaj makes several errors and doesn’t command his box effectively, but our defensive behavior is pitiful.
    We allow runners inside our penalty area with no restrictions constantly & NO goal side marking is beyond horrendous.
    The continuous overall slow possession, and lack of creativity from most of these players has become normal.
    Add generally poor positional play, with an overall clueless mentality and this is what you get.
    I need to know what the Coaching Staff is talking about when reviewing the X rated video of these matches?
    I’m at 4 players at the club who can actually play and they are Bergwijn, Brobbey, Berghuis, and Hato while the others are way below acceptable.

Orange14 repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Other than Hato, nobody on the club has the needed mentality to play defense. Wingers often times do not track back. Look how often the FBs face two attackers. Henerson is the only on of the holding MFs that seems to know what to do. In the past the club used a high press to compensate but they don't have the kind of team that can play that way. Neither Berghuis or Bergwijn can do it the way Antony and Tadic did.

23. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    watched ajax vs NEC and Bologna vs Lazio one after another. NEC simply were a better team with more ambitious going forward than ajax. in the first half especially after the ajax goal, ajax build up was limited to lateral and back passes while NEC pounced on any opportunity that came their way directly head on. the highlight for me though was the battle of Sandler and brobbey. both were having a micky mouse of a thing and again I will say sandler is a good defender and needs to be playing at a bigger club. was composed and defended well keeping brobbey at bay . for me this is something that we have talked about brobbey. workrate and perhaps holding the ball up is always his high point but this game again proves he will find it going tough vs good defenders. again the same old antics , tumbling to the ground and unable to hold himself in tackles and then complaining to the referee (yellow carded) the spectators were enjoying this though. also missed two good chances and I dont think its about the team letting him down. being critical of him here but it is what it is. if in contrast if I have to compare him to zirkzee, apart from aggressiveness, strength and ariel strength, zirkzee is ahead of him all other department, skills, technicality, clinical. his winner vs lazio was top notch. started it and ended it superbly. lets see which way koeman will bend towards.

in the second half ajax picked did pick up the momentum with forbs and martha and van den bommen adding more attacking threat but again I would say NEC's were calm after ajax took the lead 2-1 and continued with their straight and direct attacking game and tied up the game late in extra time. like I said they looked more ambitious and were a better side. tjaronn chery also deserves to be mentioned here . at 35 he still looks like a player in top form on loan from maccabi haifa. its a pity how father blind overlooked him. i can only imagine what this guy could have brought to NT. was constantly a threat in the build up from the middde for NEC.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  24. Isnot Baas on loan from Ajax at NEC?
    Given his fairly reasonable ratings compared to the Ajax defenders it might have been smarter to have kept him in Amsterdam.