Up From Mediocrity: Ajax 2023-24

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    WvH was a great player, but he's a horrible analyst

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pep Guardiola would have a tough time fixing this. If you go back and look historically, there were a number of years that Ajax finished 3, 4, and even 5 in the league. PSV were the top team just before van Gaal and right after van Gaal. Koeman won a title or two when he was manager but Ajax did poorly in the CL. We'll see whether Steijn can put the pieces together or if, in fact, Mislintat has just bought another bunch of mediocre players. ten Hag was the only one to really succeed in Europe; we'll never know how Bosz might have done had he not thrown a fit and left Ajax.

Regardless, the league owes a debt of gratitude to Ajax for accumulating lots of UEFA points to move above Portugal.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The season is not over.

4. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mislintat will be sacked before Steijn. There is a very critical article here: https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/hoofdn...-ontslaan-directeur-wacht-mogelijk-zelfde-lot and Mislintat is out of favor with some on the Ajax Board and trying to throw Steijn under the bus. There is also some issue about the transfer of Sosa where Mislintat did not inform the Board that the player is represented by a firm he founded. Apparently Kroese has been providing the Board with advice.

richsavare and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  6. Isnot that going to be an expensive joke?

7. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The damage he has done so far is way more serious both financially and morally. Arguably the worst spent 100M in Ajax history.He sent a clear message to Joung Ajax players: for your career look elsewhere, you just can't compete with the likes of Micautadze, Avila, Mannsverk, Medic etc. After just four games we are SEVEN ( excuse the caps) points behind three teams. What else should happen before the board makes a decision? Winning next 10 games in a row? Does anyone believe this?

richsavare and Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He could have brought in both Lang and Schouten instead of some of these no-names.

9. ALERT!!!!!
    Ajax press conference call at 14:00 CEST!!!

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FAKE NEWS!!! This is the day before game press conference by Steijn! This is what the official note from Ajax states. Don't post alarming items unless you really have details.

It's doubtful they would sack anyone before two big games (of course I could be wrong).

11. I came across it in the news bulletin of our national broadcast, so I thought it was an important issue.
    If not, sorry.

12. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Bosz had incredible success in Europe as well... We should have just hired him. We know how he plays. It would have been at least exciting. He was willing to go with youth players. However, I don't think Sven wanted a strong coach with a big background. He rather have some lackey like Steijn.

I agree -- it is not etched in stone that Ajax will win the league every year. But the big difference is now vs. then is we are basically outspending the rest of the league by 50%. Our budget is giant compared to even PSV. To not finish in the top 2 would be a total embarrassment when you look at the numbers.

I'm starting to think with this investigation that both will be out soon. What a total disaster.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One success was getting Ajax to the final of the Europa League. However, forgotten is that he could not get the team prepared to beat a mediocre Russian side in the CL qualification match that very same season. The match in Russia was the lowest I've ever scored players, they were all horrible. In the Europa League the had a weak group and only faced one strong team in the KO round, Lyon.

He's been sacked every other job he has held.

14. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Wow, I've never before read such bad ratings for players from the last seasons top5 before in Voetbal International:confused:
    as I read today in a friend's Voetbal International for Ajax players in the FC Twente match.

Rensch and Mannswerk rated a 2:confused:
    upload_2023-9-21_16-15-6.png
    upload_2023-9-21_16-15-57.png
    :eek:

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To those interested, here were my ratings for the WORST match I ever saw Ajax play. It was the second part of the CL qualifier against Russian side FC Rostov back in 2016. Peter Bosz was the trainer. el Capitan is Davy Klaassen. AeG7 is Anwar el Gazi who fancied himself as the next Christiano Ronaldo in those days.

Player Ratings:

Bosz (1) - he put eleven players on the pitch but that was it; no game plan at all

Cillessen (5) - a shame he had to make this one his last match; he did come up big on the one save but surely no one can blame him for the four that got past
    Viergever (4) - one of the better field players
    Riedewald (2.5) - woeful performance
    Veltman (3.5) - marginally better than Riedewald
    Tete (3) - offensive limitations really showed this evening and his marking on the goal was really weak
    Gudelj (3) - no words of praise here
    Bazoer (2.5) - to think that he was valued at €20M last season
    el Capitan (3) - converted the penalty amidst so many poor touches that I thought he would scuff the ball to the keeper
    Younes (2) - constantly took on players he couldn't beat with the consequence of weak turnovers
    Traore (3) - I hope Chelsea is paying his full salary as he's really not earning any from Ajax
    AeG7 (2) - time to call up your home boy CR7 for some advice; better yet drop down to Jong Ajax and learn how to play
    Schöne (3.5) - delivered a very nice free kick; ooops, I forgot it was soft and right at the keeper
    Dolberg (5) - nice move to draw the penalty
    Cassiera (NR) - fortunately for him he wasn't on long enough to warrant a rating

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Announced Lineup for the match tonight: Gorter; Gaaei, Šutalo, Hato, Sosa; Tahirović, Taylor, Berghuis; Forbs, Brobbey, Bergwijn

18. Hope they run like they're being chased by the devil.

Good luck, tonight!!!

19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Tahirovic is very poor.
    Sutalo shaky.
    Sosa won’t defend much and Taylor continues to switch off and not follow runners.
    Basic defensive principles are not good for Ajax

BPBlueSox and wynaldaisagod repped this.
  20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    This 'defending' is comical. No organization AND the individuals are not good.

And there's the second.... ZERO resistance in the midfield.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  21. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The good feeling of the first 15 minutes - all gone. This is the Ajax we are used to now. Shambles.

22. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    If Berghuis is in the midfield, you have to play 2 deep MFs. Taylor is just way too high. Tahrovic isn't stopping any attacks. He's not good enough 6 to play 2 mostly useless defending midfielders with him.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sosa is such an incredibly bad defender. Steijn wanted to bring Tagliafico back but Mislintat said no.

24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax must keep a better tighter shape defensively.
    Stop chasing the ball unnecessarily.
    Too much space between the MF and Defense constantly.
    Tahirovic is very poor, and is slow turning, reacting, and out of position always.
    On top of that he looks very bad on both goals.
    Sosa has weak defensive tendencies.
    He looks bad on both goals too.
    Too much space between Sutalo (Looks poor again) & Hato.
    Taylor does not track runners either which causes large gaps between the lines.

wynaldaisagod repped this.
  25. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vos looks like he’s coming in!