Up and coming coaches?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ButlerBob, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    There was plenty of interest in him, but the recommendations from ODP and other coaches when it came to personal issues were less than stellar. In addition, he had sisters (I think) who also played for Evansville, and Schmaltz was one of the only ones to step up and give him big money. He did have a short stint with Gelnovatch's U18's in the Milk Cup in Ireland.

2. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dave is one hell of a salesman! He hired Peter Lehrer from the LA Galaxy to come in as his assistant. Dave gave him total control of all "on field" training duties. I think that tactically Peter knows what he's doing, but his motivation skills leave much to be desired. He's so incredibly soft spoken... and his kids play like it! They're very soft. From the outside, it looks like Dave gave away a bit too much control in the tactical department.

Getting back to Dave, I think he's done a GREAT job of marketing the team and attracting athletes. However, that alone won't win games. He's spent so much of his time focusing on the rebuilding process that he lost sight of the x's and o's. During Pre-Season, he had the team convinced they were good enough to be in a Final Four. Hell, he had me convinced. The team cleaned and painted the locker room and the scoreboard in preparation for a title run. They even cleaned and prepared the press box. All of that without being asked by the coaching staff. Like I said, I think Dave is one hell of a salesman!

On the flip side and in Dave's and Peter's defense, they lost Lance Muckey the first week of playing - the single fastest kid on the team. Not that Muck would have been they're savior, but he might have been able to stop the bleeding in several of their games.

I like Dave and I think 2005 will tell the tale. If he can't win in 2005, then he won't be able to win in Evansville. They return a fantastic nucleus of talented players. They should be Top 3 in their conference and looking for an NCAA bid. I truly hope so. We'll see.

3. CollegeWatcher

CollegeWatcher New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Didn't those players

Burch, Broxup, Muckey and one other, at the end of the 2003 season get benched for poor attitudes? I also heard that 2 of them at the end of 2002 had said that they wanted smaultz gone. That they were instrumental in that and then turn around and let the team down just before the MVC tornament last year.

I think your observation of Lehrer is wrong as far as what is wrong. Whether a guy screams or yells doesn't matter. What matters is following through with what you have said you would do. I know someone whose son was part of that mess in 2003. From what I heard, the players lacked respect for Golan. Some of the players you named challenged him right to his face. He allowed the then assistant far too much control and input and contradicted Golan in front of the players reversing decisions that Golan had made. This player did not go to play for the assistant, he went there to play for Golan.

I think, from what I know of the situation, and again this is one side and second hand information, Golan is a salesman, a recruiter, not a coach. Therein I think lies the problem. They lost their keeper, the player I know, and 2 seniors, yet they allowed 58 goals, 37 more than the year before. They started off well and then all of a sudden, bang, the wheels came off the bus! I think the sales pitch was quickly seen for what it was and based off of the issues that had happened the year before it is possible that some of the players decided to sit this one out. Something obviously was not right.

4. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Didn't those players

Great post... and I agree with every facet of your response. My comments about Lehrer were superficial. I wasn't attempting to say that he was to blame, just simply trying to add one more dimension to the programs overwhelming problems. Dave is a very smart man. Smart enough to recognize your "salesman, recruiter... not a coach" comment. That's why he brought in Peter. I was saying that to me - personally - I think Dave HAS to be more involved with the daily training structure if his players are ever going to give him the respect that's due. Your comments about the situation with the players is dead on. As I mentioned on another thread, the UE men have a lot of personal problems to solve before any of their talent will be able to shine.

One thing I'd like to mention about the players we've been mentioning; Burch, Broxup, Muckey, etc. I spent a considerable amount of time with them this past summer. To their credit, they had admitted how completely wrong they were. They were all very committed to getting the UE team back to the level they knew they were capable of. I was extremely impressed with how adult they handled the situation (okay, I admit, to use the word "adult" and "Burch" in the same sentence just doesn't sound right!). Regardless, I thought they had turned it over for the positive. I think the trip to Notre Dame was devestating. And as you said, BANG, the wheels fell off. All of the teams pre-season fears, no matter how repressed, came quickly to the surface.

I truly wish Dave, Peter and the entire team only the best. I want them back in the good graces of college soccer. Time will tell.

p.s. It seems college soccer in the city of Evansville just had a horrific 2004. The 4 college teams (UE-M, UE-W, USI-M & USI-W) were a combined 17-53-3! Ugly!

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally off topic, but there are three cities that can beat that record:
    Philadelphia:
    St. Josephs 3-15-1
    Penn 7-8-2
    Drexel 5-12-0
    Philadelphia 4-14-1
    Total = 19-41-4

NYC:
    Adelphi 6-9-1
    Manhattn 4-13-0
    NJIT 0-15
    Fordham 3-12-3
    Total = 13-49-4

Chicago:
    UIC 5-12-2
    Loyola 3-14-1
    DePaul 3-14-3
    NIU 12-7
    Total = 23-47-6

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Chicago should include Northwestern since it's just a long tee-shot from the Chicago border (and has an auxilliary campus IN Chicago where some undergrads take classes along with law, medical and journalism grad students) and New York should include St. John's, which is in Queens, and Columbia, in Manhattan.

Northwestern and St. John's had very good years.

7. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed! Evansville wins the prize for worst college soccer city in 2004 (with at least 4 teams competing.)!

8. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    How about Boston......................I think BC has made the NCXAA's in three or four of the past 4 years and had a bye this year.........BU made it to the second round and had its twentith straight winnign season, Harvard seemed like they were OK (though I am really to start to think the Ivy League is slowing fading into low major oblivion),....Northeastern had a poor year and hurts Bostons chances (can we throw the playoff bound Revs in there??) I think it beats out NYC ( Columbia, Fordham, manhattan, St Francis, Adelphi were poor) can we say that Hofstra is a city school????

9. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Sorry....didnt realize it was worst city.....anyways, LETS GET BACK TO THE BEST UP AND COMING COACHES........AND LEAVE DAVE GOLON ALONE.....HIS MENTOR BERSON GETS KILLED ENOUGH ON HERE FOR THE TWO OF THEM

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just picking the four worst from each city.

11. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Not my intention to imply any kind of Golan bashing. As I said, I like Dave and I only wish him and his program the best. My last Evansville comment was a joke aimed toward the city as a whole - not Dave's program.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scratch one assistant coach off the list:
    Ohio State assistant coach Brian Johnson will be on the coaching staff of RSL
    http://www.huntparkinsider.com/

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, that's an interesting hire for an MLS team. Is he Mormon or from Utah?

14. Soccaholic

Soccaholic New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    If yoy spend more than five minutes with Blume you would definately know that Salt Lake City is like Disneyland compared to talking with him.

15. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    Here's one for you: Cesar Markovic at Stony Brook -SUNY. Built the program at St. Peter's in Jersey City (talk about a recruiting nightmare) from nothing to second round NCAA's in 2003 (beat Brown in 1st round at Brown). He's fluent in Spanish and Serbian (as name suggests)...was asst. to Paul Riley with the LI Rough Riders for a couple of seasons, too.

16. Soccaholic

Soccaholic New Member

Dec 16, 2004

Cesear is a very very good coach and evaluator of talent. He has been on the scene in Long Island for a while. He did a great job with nobody this year and will do an even better job in the future.

17. blarneystone

blarneystone New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    why does Hartwick college not get the attention some mediocre unranked programs do. Ian Mcintyre is one of the best up and coming coaches around, just look at his record......and still they are ignored for a tourney berth. I think the fat cats at the ncaa may have something to do with this????

18. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    Jim Lennox was forced out at Hartwick after 30+ years of service and legendary status...(MacIntyre was a captain on his mid-1990's squads). Nonetheless, Lennox' is deeply ensconced in NCAA lore and Hartwick just can't seem to get by FIU for AQ into tournament. Even though they've been top 20 for the past two years (when Lennox' last couple of teams were barely at or above .500). Hartwick is defeinetly being "punished" for letting Lennox go the way they did. Maybe another year of penance for MacIntyre before the 'wick gets back to tourney with an at large bid, if they fail to, again, win their conference outright.

19. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Hartwick just can't win the big games. Yes they always seem to get ranked early but always lose it late. Also keep in mind that the NCAA is all about saving money so if Hartwick can't get into a local regional the NCAA will just bring in another team that will cosr less to have them travel.

20. Dwane Hess

Dwane Hess Member

Dec 27, 2004

I think you are mising the point. Hartwick plays in perhaps the weakeast region in the Nation. A lot of teams could be successful playing in their region. That is the reason Hartwick won't get to the NCAA.

21. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004

True there region is weak but they could help by doing a better job of scheduling. FIU had a average record but they played big non-conference games and that allowed them to host which ended up not helping becasue they lost in the first round. Hartwick needs to step up the schedule if they want to get in. Lennox has nothing to do with them not getting in, it comes down to the soft schedule thay they play plus a weak conference.

22. blarneystone

blarneystone New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    imegu, since when did hartwick lose it late? they won 9 of their last 10 games??? i think that a schedule which included brown (#18th at the time), w&m, odu(#4), ohio(#22), st.johns(#8) and rutgers as non-conference games cannot be regarded as soft. possibly down to four other new york region teams remarkably making the tourney(marist, hofstra, liu) that hartwick was once again denied. The point is that teams should be rewarded for a good season-long effort, not on one conference game. Same applies to James Mad. The system needs to be looked at!!

23. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Well put!! I agree with what you said. So I stand corrected.