Unsung Hero?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revs-West, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Jay Heaps is quietly having the best season that I've ever seen him play. His last tackle against Yourri was timed to perfection (Khano injury not withstanding). Most importantly, he has been much more consistant playing without getting exposed by over-committing. He has closed down crosses by playing tighter and his anticipation has been solid. We always talk about Parkhurst as a demi-god and Joey, well, we just talk a lot about Joey. I just thought someone should throw some respect to the guy that has made the opposition choose to go at Franchino rather than him.

2. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay is that you? Craig mentioned that you read the boards... :)

3. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously,

Funny, since this my first season following the Revs, MLS and these boards, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out why you guys didn't love Heaps. The couple seated next to me and I love him. I have now heard from several people that this is his best season, and I understand your misgivings about him. I think he can be such a pest to the other team, like a gnat flying about your head, you can't swat away.

4. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Jays has a very good year. I don't think anyone bashing him really knows what they are talking about, at least this year.

5. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
    Knowing their backs are covered, our defenders are able to take more risks.

They are all better because of each other.

Jay is having a very good year, with Parkhurst, Joseph and all the rest. They worked for it, earned it, and they deserve it.

Two to go.

6. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    It seemed that nobody was as pumped as Jay after the game. He was just jumping around going nuts. Great fun.

And that last tackle of his was delicious.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Jay has had a very solid year this year. Easily his best year as a Rev. And I love the pride he takes in being a Revolution player. All credit to him.

8. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I was watching 2004 ECF highlights on MLSnet yesterday, and Heaps looked bad, singlehandedly handing D.C. opportunities. You didn't see that as much this year, and that's the difference. There are a few times when I can remember thinking that he could have done better, but not really many times where I think that he made a completely terrible play that 100% cost us a goal.

9. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    I think Jay's improvement can be chalked up, by and large, to the full-time switch from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2. In the former, he's expected to get forward more, which increases the opportunity to get caught out in defense. In the 3-5-2 he has to stay home more, and so gets caught out less.

I think he's always been a tough and tenacious defender. Simplifying his role has amplified those attributes.

He's also drawn less yellow cards this season, no?

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the Coach has adapted his formation to match the abilities of the players available :cool: I also think that Jay may be maturing and blossoming under the guidence of the coach.

11. usasocer

usasocer New Member

Sep 14, 2005

Anyone see the article in a NY Paper with Mo Johnson singling out the Revs back 3? It was the day before the first leg. That may have been why he was so pumped up.

12. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Wow, just Wow....
    [​IMG]

13. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    I think this is a large part of the reason. He also did pretty well last year when he played a few games in the center of defense. On top of this I think he learned not to dive in as often, which is more needed in a back 3 then the outside of a four man line. Plus, with Parkhurst in the back and almost always in proper supporting position may have helped Heaps relax to play calmer and better.

Anyway as Monty said "Easily his best year as a Rev". To which I will also add his best year period.

At the start of the year, we were questioning if Heaps was the best choice for out right in the back three. By midseason, there was basically no doubt he was the best choice we had and was not a position that really needed an upgrade.

14. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
  15. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay sounds confident. That's a good thing.

My newest Revs jersey will be sent to the place involving bags and onions for customization after the season ends. I'm thinking HEAPS 6 this time.