Unsung Hero

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Oct 20, 2004.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Who is it?

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    2004 Colorado Rapids Unsung Hero of the Year Award, to the player who has performed well consistently for the team over the year and gotten his job done for the team without attracting the spotlight.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ritchie K works his tail off and doesn't get a lot of recognition. He's always playing hard and well. Without his versitility on the back line we'd have some problems.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Not only has Kotschau been consitent in his quality and his approach, but he's been extremely versatile in playing a variety of defensive roles and positions.

5. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Although he does get some recognition, I voted for cila. Really for me it was a tossup between cila and crawford.

6. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ritchie Kotschau has done a fabulous job filling in gaps for the Rapids, much like Henderson last year. But he ran a little hot and cold for me this year, giving up a couple pk's, and having a couple stinkers. My vote went to Matt Crawford, who I think is often "unsung" after many matches. Take this last game for instance, there were 2 players for the Rapids in which all the offensive opportunities were coming from, one were crosses from Henderson into the box from either side, and the other was Crawford who continually pushed up from the right-back position. Crawford's found net, he's done the little things, been reliable, and improved incredible on the defensive end while adding another offensive dimention to a defensively oriented Hankinson squad.

Matt Crawford gets my vote for Unsung Hero award

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, so be it.

Hanki, for not tinkering too much with the team and allowing the Rapids to build their identity this year around Cannon and defense. I know he does that every year, I'm as frustrated as anybody with Hanki's overall tenure with the team, but this year, the Rapids actually looked like they were going to get left behind by everybody, and then *bing* lightning in a bottle, this team came together.

Still a hill to climb with LA looming before them, but the Rapids didn't back into the playoffs, they clinched before the final game of the season, and flirted with the Supporter's Shield for a couple of weeks. I never would have expected that at the start of the season and Hanki deserves some of the credit. And let's be honest, who's more unsung than Hanki around here??

2nd choice would be Crawford. Has emerged as a solid player this year.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crawford, epsecially in the second half of the season. He was a solid player that was willing and able to play anywhere the Rapids need him.

Kotschau was a close second

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Oh yes ... I am singing for Hanki ... but the theme has more to do with funerals and breakups!

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flame, torch, burn, combust, flame!

I can't say anything nice about him. Saying he is a hero for not changing the lineup too much is crazy. I attribute very few good things to Hanki.

11. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disregarding the "gotten his job done for the team without attracting the spotlight" portion, eh? :)

1. Light fuse.
    2. Move away.

12. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cila was a possibility but he was consistent against only one team really. OK OWNED them, but not consistent over the season.

Kotschau has been very steady all year - despite a momentary lapse of reason against a 9-man Dallas team.

Crawford has improved as much as he has contributed this year.

Another toughy - but the nod goes to Kotschau.

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done and done. I take it all back. :D

Despite giving Hanki credit, I still hope he's gone at the end of the season. I'm hoping his tenure coincides with Dubya's....