Unprotected PCs, Hi-jacking, and You.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chicago1871, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I was wondering if you could put this into that "hooked on phonics" book for me and get a translation? what's a while moldy brick? Is that something under your bed?

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    You really think teachers and graphic artists can hack? :D

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. :)

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    too true. i must have mixed up linux fanboys with mac fanboys. linux fanboys at least, though less smarter than windows users, try their best to sneak around windows pcs and sabotage them (very unethical and revolting indeed and hopefully every single one of them gets arrested). on the other hand, mac fanboys tend to have crazy belief that their machine is the messiah or some sort and does everything what they want (of course, the truth is mac is far more susceptible to virus attack and unstable than windows) so they learn nothing about their system. there's no way they possess a skill to attack windows.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually mac fanboys don't feel the need to attack an inferior product. We're too busy delving into a superior product to be bothered by the crap around us.

6. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Oh geez..this has got to be one of the best BS threads ever.

Squash, I've seen Apples, G4s to be exact, get hit by virsuses.

7. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Oh really that would be news to anyone using OS X..not OS 9...it's dead. So unless you mean 9 you are 100% wrong and full of more BS that Premium is. OS X has no known viruses...not one. Educate yourself, before you make foolish comments. In fact feel free to send me all the ones you get on your pc, I'd gladly take them all after they are done messing your cheap OS from MicroCrock. Please i am looking forward to this virus or as you say VIRUSES

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're Mac doesn't get viruses. Guess what, for minimal cost, my PC doesn't either.

9. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Key word is cost..you must enjoy paying for something you shouldn't have too. Feel free to thank the richest guy in the world Bill Gates. Even with all that money he can't make a secure OS. Maybe send him the bill ;)

10. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Look Squash, if you're upset that I just proved you wrong, calm down because no one's here to talk smack on anyone or get pissed off. I'm only looking for a friendly conversation.

I've seen SCHOOL Apples get viruses and worms. And no, I am not lying, because that would be stupid, given that I've SEEN and HEARD the computer tech guy and the teacher discussing the situation. I'm using Firefox right now, but you can't possibly tell me that this search engine will be the best of the best in a few years when more and more people begin to use it. Virus programmers aren't stupid. They'll target what's hot on the market, and right now it's the Windows OS and IE. Like it or not, that's the situation. If it was the other way around, I'm sure that hackers would find a way to break into Macs.

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Good point. You can get a $400 computer and spend 50 bucks on Norton. $450 for a PC that will have virsus protection....I find that a better deal than $1200 on a shiny monitor that can only be suitable for a certain amount of programs.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're forgetting that I can buy a faster PC with more memory, and storage for the same price you can buy an above average Mac. The price difference between the two allows me to spend $50 for the initial anti-virus program and the $20 anual fee for subscription. I'd say that's not a bad way to come out.

I'd like to repeat that I am not standing solely on the side of PC users (even though I am one and prefer them). Macs are damn fine machines, but I enjoy playing devils advocate.

13. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Again..there are no known viruses for OS X...that's a fact. None, there isn't anything to argue on this point. You are absolutely wrong. Search the web, and find me even 1 virus for OS X. It should be easy with the so many you claim. I'm not trying to make it personal. I'm just telling you the TRUTH. the number of viruses for OS X is 0

14. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I assume you realize he's not talking about speed, he's talking about OS X having viruses and there is nothing to defend with him. He's wrong GG GF

In order to get a pc on par with a dual 2.5ghz, you'd spend a comparable amount of money. Then still worry about your adware, spyware, viruses, and the leggo land OS they call XP. Macs are not slow, but to the uneducated on them, i guess they are.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People also need to understand that PowerPC processors are completely different than a Wintel processor. Why do you think M$ is using a PowerPC processor in XBox2, simple, it's more powerful.

A PowerPC processor only needs to do computations once, while an intel processor does it twice for the same function. It's all in the structure of the processor.

16. subsnerd

subsnerd New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    honolulu
    Linux beyotches!

:) :) :)

Sorry, but Windoze is crap. MS engineering is trumped by marketing and marketing doesn't do security. IOW: All your base are belong to us. OSX is cool though (BSD core).

17. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Which x86 instructions need to be performed twice? I used to enjoy reading up on CPU architecture (although I am hopelessly way behind now that I have a kid) and I would love to more about this little tidbit.

CPU architecture is pretty damn complicated and I don't think it is safe to make a blanket statement that says PowerPC is more powerful than x86 in every single situation. Even if we compare SPEC benchmarks between the two we can't be too sure since they're subject to highly aggressive compiler tuning.

18. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I have seen Apples get shut down due to worms and viruses. I've walked past them and have set next to them. They all had signs say that there was a problem and I've heard the admins speaking about the problem. How they got them, I don't know. But they did the crap beaten out of them due to a bad file.

I did a search like you requested. Ever heard of the Hong Kong Virus? My results: Macs do have viruses, but they aren't sent around as much because there aren't many Macs to send the virus to.

19. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I just did a search on the Hong Kong virus. The only reference I found was from 1998. That was for OS 9 not OS X.

20. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Metro..you're wasting your time. There are 0,zero,0,zero GG GF

Good job in finding nothing though. Maybe read closely....OS X, not 9

21. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Hong Kong virus? What does it suppose to do to your computer?

22. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hong Kong Virus For Mac (OS 9)

This has no affect on OS X

23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to nitpick, then fine. Essentially I was saying that I can get a PC comparable with a Mac for less money so spening a little bit more on anti-virus software isn't a big deal.

PS, I've owned two Macs in my lifetime. I know them.

25. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    dell make a pc, sony make a pc, toshiba make a pc, gateway/emachine make a pc, ibm make a pc, compaq/hewlett-packard make a pc, nec make a pc, abs make a pc, alienware make a pc, and you and i make a pc. the choice is infinitive. now, who make a mac? nobody. got a point fanboys?