University of Washington Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UWHusky, Aug 31, 2002.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i should have known they weren't playing at home! (i'm dumb...lol)

please do let me know how she's doing, and if you want, if you get any pics/insights/tidbits from any games about clare, i would love to add it to my team canada site (link below)...you can be a Go Big Red correspondant! lol :) (if you wanted, lol)

thanks again!!!

elaine

2. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Are you asking me to support Team Canada? :eek:

j/k...lol

I don't know if I'll be taking any pics (I don't have a digital camera so I wouldn't be able to email them), but okay, if I have any insights about Clare, they're all yours! Just because it's you. ;) And Clare.

3. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    of course not! lol...although that wouldn't be too bad ;) lol...you are closer to canada than i am to the US! lol
    yea yea!!! i'd enjoy that mucho....if you do see clare, please do tell her that elaine from toronto (the candy chica) says hi!!!

although i think she'll be with the canadian team until early november at the earliest...if things go as planned, the team won't 'disban' until november 10th

elaine

4. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Am I? Well, in any case, sorry, but "Go Canda" just doesn't seem to roll off my tongue very easily. ;) I still wish all the best for Clare, of course.

The candy chica...I'll be sure to remember that one. :)

And this is probably true. As a matter of fact, barring some anomaly (such as Canada not placing first or second in their group), I will see her play at Safeco in the semis of the Gold Cup.

5. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    ooo!!

i forgot about the GC games in SAFECO....ooo, if that's the case, if you see ANY canuck, tell 'em the candy chica says 'hey'!

thanks again becky! :D

elaine

6. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, sure. No problem. ;)

I hadn't thought about the fact that I'd probably get to watch Canada play in the GC. I think it's cool that Clare will (most likely) get a chance to play in the city for which she plays college ball.

And just to get back on the subject...

Tomorrow the Huskies face cross-state rival Cougars:
    UW Women Complete Six-Game Soccer Road Trip

7. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Despite facing a 2-goal deficit after the first half, the Huskies come back to tie the Cougs. Hmm. A tie. Well, at least we broke the two-game losing streak in Pullman.

Here's an account of the game: Cougars, Huskies battle to a 2-2 Draw

There isn't a article yet on the UW homepage, but I'm hoping when one is added, it won't have such a WSU slant. I'm pretty sure the one I linked is a Cougar account. It only quotes the Cougar coach, only offers their keeper's stats, only mentions their next opponent, and seems to be subtly mocking Solo. :p

Oh, and Elo, you'll be happy to know that Clare scored the Huskies' first goal (also her first goal of the season) and assisted on the game-tying goal. :D

Vice versa for Melissa Bennett--Bennett assisted on Clare's goal and scored the game-tying goal. With 14 assists on the season, Bennett is distancing herself from the previous school record for single-season assists of 12 by none other than CyberRay Theresa Wagner.

8. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    How do you figure they are mocking Solo??? They only mention her once. That is a very standard article.

9. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Hey at least they didn't lose!! Next weekend ought to be good.

10. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, this thread is suddenly popular!

Very true. It must be tough for the Huskies (in any sport, for that matter) to play in Pullman. Yeah, well, just wait till next year, Cougs, when you have to play us in Seattle!

The Huskies will finally be back in town next weekend to face Cal and Stanford after an entire month on the road. Theresa Wagner makes a homecoming on the 27th. ;)

UW account of the game: UW Rallies to Tie WSU in Women's Soccer

11. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    runbabyrun...You're not a UW fan, are you...;)

It may indeed be a standard article, but it is a Cougar article. Their mention of Solo: "[J]unior Kim Morgan...knocked it past Washington's All-American goalkeeper Hope Solo."

kareena, you don't happen to see it, do you? Like I said, it's subtle. It's actually quite amusing and clever. :D

12. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Well I'm not sure--you mean the shot going past the "All American" goal keeper comment? I guess it could be taken either way! :)
    ps where can I find those little happy faces??
    I have to admit that I am a UW fan and NOT a Coug fan as far as that rivalry goes, tho I will say this 'new' coach at Wazzu is a big improvement over what what they have had in the past. I was looking at the roster and he has some brought some good players in-also good transfers. I would think it would be hard to get players to go over there.
    That said, next weekend I will have to cheer for Stanford and Cal!!!

13. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Very subtle. :p Hard to tell if it was on purpose, but it is a Cougar article (it's also the one on the WSU homepage) so could have been.

In the FAQ link, go to "What are Smilies?"

:eek: j/k lol That's okay. The smart money is obviously on Stanford (unfortunately), so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm having mixed emotions about Theresa Wagner's success there. Hehe.

I'm looking foward to this weekend's games. The last soccer I went to was about a month ago, my sister's HS C-team game. The last soccer besides my sister's games was...um...I don't remember. Last year's college season?

14. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I like the Huskies. Actually I root for them regularly. Hope is an All-American and I have seen that tag associated with her in several articles. Maybe you are a bit jumpy since it is WSU, there big rival.

15. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    GO CLARE!! :D glad to hear she scored her first goal of the year!! thanks for the report becky!

oh...and speaking of washington, i was able to watch the USC vs. Wash football game yesterday on KOMO4 since i get all the west coast stations now, and not a great game for the huskies! although i count myself a USC fan since my cousin used to play for them! lol

elaine

16. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    runbabyrun--really sorry to assume that you're not a Husky fan. Shouldn't have done that.

Yeah, I was pretty jumpy since it's the Cougs. There's just this "us vs. them" mentality, which I guess leads us to think the worst about each other--not on a person to person basis but rather for the schools as a whole. Since this was a Cougar article, I felt like they were implying, "Haha--we scored on your 'All-American' keeper!" :p

[*Moans]

Oh don't remind me! Oh, well...While all UW losses break my heart, I'm not too big on football and we're not supposed to be that good this year anyway. We'll bring our A-Game to the Apple Cup as we always do, and that's what really matters. ;)

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  18. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Ahhh, home sweet home.

UW Women Upset 7th-Ranked Cal in Soccer

Cal scored early, but the Dawgs came back to take the game 2-1. Cal goal by Cabello, assist to Schott. Husky goals by Nicole Martinez and Jaime Carstensen. Melissa Bennett assisted on both goals.

Bennett seemed to have a couple of moments of lapsed concentration, but she also had flashes of brilliance. Her two assists in the game extends her current school single-season record to 16, 10 more than any other Pac-10 player. She went down hard late in the game, looked like she wrenched her knee. She got up after writhing around in pain for a few seconds and then limped around for about a minute before being subbed out for good. Sure hope it wasn't too serious. Thankfully, she looked okay after the game.

Other then Cal's early goal, Hope Solo was there when she needed to be, but she wasn't called on to do anything spectacular. Two saves on the night. I had never seen Andrea Morelli play, since last year she sat out with a torn ACL, but she looked pretty good tonight. Kelli Smith has got wheels...made a number of nice runs up the right side. She's also great at heading, especially considering she's 5-1.

And now, Elaine, the part you've been waiting for...

Hard to miss that tall redhead in the midfield wearing #8. :)

Clare had a couple of good shots...had a few beautiful feeds, even if they didn't quite pan out. But Clare's invaluableness came from fighting for 50/50 balls in the air. With the exception of maybe one or two, Clare won every single header that entered her area. Most of her touches came off of headers, but (as mentioned) she sent the ball forward off her foot well. She's also an adept juggler. She did have one painfully obvious whiff when attempting to boot the ball upfield, but that's okay...lol...No harm done.

Elo, I also delivered your message. After the game, she was signing autographs for some kids. I recognized her immediately and said, "Clare, I have a message for you." I told her that you said 'hi,' and she answered, "Elaine...the one who does the Big Red site? Cool."

It wasn't exactly a response I thought I'd get, but then again I tend to forget that she's even younger than me. I guess "Cool" would be a typical response for an teenager.

Then, against my better judgement (;)), I wished her luck in the GC.

Well, it's nice to have the Huskies home. It's even nicer to see them beat a top 10 team. It's even nicer that it's a Pac-10 team. Sunday will pretty much determine whether or not we're still in the running for the Pac-10 title as we take on nationally top-ranked Stanford.

PS Fear, thanks for the link. Nice article.

19. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Stanford vs. Washington

Ow. :(

So what hurts more: a 4-goal margin drubbing like those from UNC and Portland, or a narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of a Pac-10 foe?

The latter, by far, by far.

Two things were obvious in this game: 1) Hope Solo kept us in the game, and 2) We miss Clare Rustad.

During the first 10 minutes or so, Stanford did not look like the top-ranked team. Huskies clearly controlled the run of play. We had some nice chances early, but couldn't finish. Then Stanford started to take over.

Stanford scored the only goal of the match with 7 minutes left to play in the first half. Solo made a diving save to stop the initial shot, but couldn't recover for the rebound. I think the goal was by #21 Kelsey Carlson.

In the second half, the two teams were pretty even, but Huskies failed to tally the equalizer. Stanford outshot us 14-8. Solo made 4 strong saves. We battled them to the final second; with 30 seconds left, (UW's) Tina Frimprong even got away with pulling SU's #14 down by the jersey. Can you say frustration foul?

Melissa Bennett had a strong game. Sadly couldn't come up with assist #17, but put on some impressive moves to dribble around defenders. Look for her in WUSA 2004.

Andrea Morelli was everywhere again. Great anticipation, vision.

Solo put in a solid performance. A couple of diving saves, a couple of tips over the crossbar...came off her line a few times too in danger and successfully stopped the attack. Without her work, this seriously could have been another 4-goal drubbing.

Jaime Carstensen, Rustad's replacement in the middle, has the same height but not nearly the same game. Yeah, Carstensen had a couple of headers and a couple of nice services, but compared to Rustad's presence a two nights ago...we seriously miss Clare.

I honestly think we would not have lost with Clare in our lineup.

Before the game, I spotted 2001 WUSA Champion CyberRay (and UW grad) Theresa Wagner, now assistant coach for Stanford. She was warming up her keepers. I get the feeling there's no Husky left in this girl. :p

After the game, I overheard a Stanford player talking with a couple of friends/family members. They told her nice job, etc, and she answered (sounding very relieved), "Yeah...Now we're going to win the Pac-10."

Probably true. Ow.

20. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Re: Stanford vs. Washington

Correction: Goal by Farenbaugh. After the goal was scored, the announcers said something about "#21." I couldn't hear what they said about her, and I couldn't see who scored the goal.

21. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    BECKY!!! i feel so incompetent!!!!!

i forgot to check this thread for the past week or so, thinking that clare was w/team canada, and therefore wouldn't be playing with the huskies, only to find out she has been, and that you talked to her, and that i'm such an idiot for not reading this sooner!!

i feel like a doofus. must be too much maple syrup to my head ;) lol

THANK YOU for passing along the message to clare! lol...i'm not surprised at her reaction at all...she seems like the 'cool' type. lol.

thanks again becky!!! have fun at safeco, and do let us all know how it goes!

elaine

22. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Re: Re: University of Washington Thread [R]

LOL

Don't worry about it. :D

Yes, Clare played on Friday in the upset of Cal. But she was gone for the Stanford game. Oh, don't get me started on that. Without a doubt, we missed her.

But anyway...

You're welcome. :) When she answered with, "cool," it sort of left me with nothing to say, just standing there like, "Okaaaaaay." So I wished her well in the Gold Cup and left. lol

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts on the GC games in Safeco, but in a more appropriate thread. Oh, and feel free to use any of my observations about Clare, if you wish.

Becky

23. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: University of Washington Thread [R]

i have a feeling that clare is a person with few words...lol. :p

thanks again ! :)

elaine

24. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Bruins vs. Huskies 11/8! Bring it, Dawgs!!

OK, it's official....

On Friday Nov. 8, Hope Solo IS the enemy! (At least from where I sit!) :D

Becky, will you be able to go to that game? If so, and if I'm really nice and keep the trash talk to a minimum ;) will you let me know how it goes? The official game reports are always so dry...

25. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    UW Women Close Out Soccer Regular Season at Home

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8 --
    Washington vs. #2 UCLA, 7:00 p.m. PST
    Husky Soccer Field (2,100); Seattle, Wash.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 10 --
    Washington vs. #15 USC, 12 noon PST
    Husky Soccer Field (2,100); Seattle, Wash.