University of Washington Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UWHusky, Aug 31, 2002.

1. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    UW Women Down Arkansas in Soccer Season Opener

"Frimpong nets hat trick in 12th-ranked Huskies' 4-1 win."

"Solo saved three first-half shots, including a diving denial of Colleen Redmond's penalty kick in the 30th minute. The senior from Richland (Wash.) High School pushed her career total to 252 saves, eclipsing the previous UW record of 250 established by Tina Thompson (1994-96). Solo now owns every career goalkeeping record at Washington, including 16 shutouts and a 0.94 goals against average."

2. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi UWHusky--did you see the game? Solo and Frimpong were impressive in the first half but all in all I have to say it was disappointing. I don't know much about either team but that score is deceptive. I realize that UW is ranked 12 in one poll but honestly, that's a reach. I was expecting more. Arkansas came out flat the first half--REALLY flat. Like cones. There was really no game at all first half. Arkansas was much improved 2nd half but..... too late and they don't have the horses.
    Maybe UW was just not feeling any urgency. Hopefully the coach can get the revved before the next game!!!

3. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    clare rustad!

hey there-

thought i would post here and wish clare a great season w/the huskies!!! i believe she'll be back with the team after the u19 championships are complete, and hopefully she'll have a solid year!!!

if any of you attend any of the games, and sees clare, do tell her that elaine from toronto says 'hey!!!' :D

elaine

4. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Unfortunately no. I'm not in Seattle until Sept 26, the first day to move into the dorms.

:) I'll keep that in mind. I'm not exactly anticipating seeing her, but each year the team has a Fan Appreciation game or something where they sign autos after the game. Maybe I'll see her there. If so, I'll deliver your message!

5. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  6. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Sorry, no I didn't. All in all tho this has been a good weekend for them. Better than for most ranked teams!! It may not mean much but they ought to move up int he rankings.
    My only concern would be that they will go into next weekend flat because this weekend was obviously no competiton. However they should have Clare back.

7. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, they sounded like very solid wins. Next week, though, certainly promises to be tougher as they travel to North Carolina to face UNC and Duke. I don't know much about Duke's program, but UNC is, well, UNC. We may be without Hope Solo too if she makes the cuts for the Nats, but against a team like Carolina, I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

8. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  9. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  10. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    UW outplayed Duke in the second half only, with Duke controlling things in the 1st half+overtimes. UW got back in the game and then won on set piece goals (corners), despite Duke outshooting them (16-12). The winning goal in OT was stunning because UW looked gassed; they did not sub that much during a long game. Duke was also missing their starting International keeper (Helgadottir). I think UW is going to have a fair bit of trouble with UNC, and would have that even without Solo.
    Of note in the PAC10-ACC contests, UCLA also came back from a 2-goal deficit to beat Virginia 4-3 in 1 OT.

11. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
  12. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  13. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    UW Hosts Women's Soccer Tournament This Weekend

"The 21st-ranked Washington women's soccer team (3-2-1) seeks to halt a three-game winless streak this weekend as it hosts the eighth-annual Husky/Nike Invitational."

Friday, September 20
    -- UC Irvine vs. #5 Portland, 4:30 p.m. PDT
    -- #21 Washington vs. Harvard, 7:00 p.m. PDT

Sunday, September 22
    -- Harvard vs. #5 Portland, 11:00 a.m. PDT
    -- #21 Washington vs. UC Irvine, 1:30 p.m. PDT

I graduated HS with a girl who went on to play for UC Irvine, but I don't think she's playing for them anymore. I wonder what ever happened to her. In any case, I just hope that the Anteaters aren't much better than they were the last time we met.

15. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Huskies Down Harvard 3-1 in Women's Soccer

"UW & Portland post wins in first day of Husky Invitational."

HUSKY/NIKE INVITATIONAL GAME 1
    Portland 2, UC Irvine 0

HUSKY/NIKE INVITATIONAL GAME 2
    (#21) Washington 3, Harvard 1

16. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Huskies Win Women's Soccer Tournament

"The 21st-ranked Washington women won their own tournament for the first time in six years, defeating UC Irvine 3-0 on Sunday to secure the Husky/Nike Invitational championship in front of 1,173 fans at Husky Soccer Field."

Huskies won on goal diff, 6-1 for the tourney against the 4-1 diff of Portland who was also undefeated in tournament play.

HUSKY/NIKE INVITATIONAL GAME 3
    (#5) Portland 2, Harvard 1

HUSKY/NIKE INVITATIONAL GAME 4
    (#21) Washington 3, UC Irvine 0

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Tsunami, for the update. With all the craziness of moving back into the dorms and readjusting to college life, I forgot about the game until I received the email about you responding to this thread.

I guess I can be satisfied with a tie since Texas is ranked 3rd.

With 10 saves, including 3 in OT, is Hope Solo increasing her worth?

19. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    UW Women's Soccer Falls to No. 7 Texas A&M in Overtime

"16th-ranked Huskies lose 2-1 despite 12 Solo saves."

Shots - UW 6, UT 24

This must be what they mean when they say "Hope will keep you in games." Sounds like she certainly did here...well, until 4 seconds left in OT.

20. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, that was certainly worse than last year.

We're making Solo work waaaay too hard.

22. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "I think the key to the game was in the second half with the score tied 1-1 when Hope Solo made a world-class save, which is not uncommon for her - she's a great keeper," OSU coach Steve Fennah said. "I think Washington won the game with that save. If we go up 2-1 on that shot, I think it's a different game at that point.

"People sometimes say 'the keeper saved the game', and that was the case with that play."

With the 2-1 victory over Oregon, (http://www.collegesports.com/sports/w-soccer/stories/101102adt.html, where Bennett assisted on both goals), Huskies open the Pac-10 2-0. Next up are the Cougs, who beat OSU and tied Oregon.

24. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey!

thanks for the on-going updates on the huskies! i do appreciate it!!!

just a generic question, but how is clare doing? i know at the beginning of the season she was not starting all of the games, and i read she started the last game vs. oregon...have you seen her play? just curious...i like to keep tabs on how my canucks are doing! :D

thanks again! keep the updates coming!

elaine

25. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, Elo!

Huskies have been out of town since before school started, so I haven't seen them yet this year. And they're not coming back for another couple of weeks. When they do come back, I'll be sure to let you know how Clare is doing. :)

I'm glad to hear someone actually visits this thread besides Tsunami and myself! Any updates can be found at http://gohuskies.ocsn.com/, and I will continue to post them. And when the Huskies (finally) come home, I will post what I see.

Becky