PBP: United States @ Costa Rica; 10:00pm ET; Matchday thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt my intelligence is the problem, again the dictionary lists the two words as synonyms. That means they are interchangeable. They can be used to mean the same thing. Your beef isn't with me, you need to argue with the English language and get it to change...because you said so.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/assume

2. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Words being listed in the dictionary as synonyms doesn't make them interchangeable.

In this case, "thinking" he saw something means he honestly believes he saw something happen. Assuming means he knows he didn't see it, but makes his best guess based on the circumstances. That would be completely unacceptable.

FlipsLikeAPancake and Ghosting repped this.
  3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cite the dictionary and link a thesaurus. They are definitely not the same thing.

The phrasing of the original issue is also not parallel, and thus even if the words are synonymous, which they are not in this instance, the ideas expressed are different.

4. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I link the thesaurus because it has a greater list of synonyms, while the dictionary has more about the definition and less about all the synonyms. If you go to dictionary.com and look up 'think', look at the list of synonyms and click on the "more" link.... welcome to theasurus.com.

However if we *need* to point to the dictionary I would use the definition "to consider something as a possible action, choice, etc.:" for think.

As for context examine the two statements:

1) The AR, therefore, lied to the CR about it, or thought he saw something that wasn't there.
    2) The problem is that, based on the replay, it's hard to imagine what the AR thought he saw, which leads me to believe that he didn't seeing anything, but just assumed the worst.

Now let's play the interchangeable game....

1) The AR, therefore, lied to the CR about it, or assumed he saw something that wasn't there.
    2) The problem is that, based on the replay, it's hard to imagine what the AR assumed he saw, which leads me to believe that he didn't seeing anything, but just thought the worst.

I think at this point I wasted too much time on someone being nitpicky about the English language. I had assumed that pointing out the facts would trump opinions on what words mean, apparently I thought wrong. Or whichever order makes you guys happier.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you are smart, Charstaen!

Because smart is a synonym of canny.
    Canny is a synonym of cautious.
    Cautious is a synonym of wary.
    Wary is a synonym of distrustful.
    Distrustful is a synonym of dubious.
    Dubious is a synonym of unreliable
    Unreliable is a synonym of unstable
    Unstable is a synonym of irrational.
    And irrational a synonym for stupid.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe we should stick to definitions? English is a language with a huge vocabulary, and the reason we have so many different words is they usually have different shades of meaning.

In this particular context, think means "have a particular opinion, belief, or idea about someone or something."

Assume means "suppose to be the case, without proof."

So Ghosting was saying that if the assistant ref thought he saw something, then it would be fine to give a card. Ghosting didn't just say what the AR thought, he said what he thought the ref saw. Because yeah, obviously the AR has an opinion/belief/idea of what happened - he told the ref to give a card.

But was that belief based on what he thought he saw, or just an assumption based on seeing Campbell on the ground next to Besler?

Since Besler made no contact with Campbell and it was a total dive, it's hard to believe the assistant ref actually saw anything, Ghosting believes he just assumed Besler must have fouled Campbell. In this context, assumes is a much closer synonym to "guess."

Ghosting and orcrist repped this.
  6. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linguistic ownage. I'm all over dat :cool:

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  7. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Ghosting had issue with someone saying the AR thought he saw something. Instead Ghosting said the AR assumed something. Hence the debate. Someone used a word that *could* apply. Ghosting stepped in and called them incorrect, and used a synonym for that word. Not a chain of synonyms, a word that means the exact same. Much like saying someone is not incorrect, they are wrong.

And yes, you can pick different definitions for words, but just because there are other definitions for the word "thought" doesn't mean one where it applies is incorrect.

BTW, what is with the people and their personal attacks? You are the second person wanting to call me stupid because I am pointing out that someone is calling someone incorrect over use of a word that is a synonym. It really *is* that simple. Or, easy...if you prefer. Hell, insert synonyms of your choice...

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol, nerds.

luftmensch repped this.
  9. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously dude. Go back and reread the series of posts. I was saying exactly what @FlipsLikeAPancake summarized above. I understand that when you're reading quickly through a thread it's easy to miss the intended meaning sometimes, but if you're going to pursue an argument like this, go back and re-read what you arguing about to make sure you're right. (see below)

10. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, mea culpa and apologies offered if I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

I read "thought he saw something that wasn't there" as noting the player falling over and thinking it was due to a foul. Which parallels the idea that he assumed there was a foul. If 'thought he saw something that wasn't there' is taken as he thought he saw a foul, then I can see where your post would be valid. I just do not read Etienne's statement that way. Most likely I misunderstood your point, so I apologize.

Ghosting repped this.
  11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia