United Protests Reserve Match. No, I'm not making that up.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by aleaguer, May 19, 2005.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/18/AR2005051801831.html

Why.

Knee.

Farks.

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Whiny, my ass. The Revs broke the rules....that is a legitimate complaint. The guy who scored the game winner shouldn't have been in the game. I'd be pissed too.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to agree. It's a minor detail, but it is in violation of the stated rules.

4. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    You want to be pissed? Fine. Be pissed. But filing a formal protest over a farking reserve league game?

United has been the whiniest organization in the league since Payne started his "Oh, MLS doesn't want us to win every year so they're forcing us to break up the team, it's not fair" meanwhile they've won four titles. They can STFU.

5. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Did you miss the part about "financial incentive" to win the game? Should the Revs get that money, and DCU lose that money, because the Revs broke the rules?

If it's just a reserve league match and it doesn't matter, don't have rules and don't have financial incentives for the games.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's cash on the line. Winning team gets $20K.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gimmie a break!

Never mind the fact that the Revs had no one else to put in (Nicol? Mariner?) and had their third-string keeper playing D the whole game.

This whole thing is ridiculous. If you add up injury time tacked on the end of either half, you could likely find other players on either side who played a few over the 90 official minutes.

Brad Feldman said it best--They should worry about teaching their players to protect a 3-1 lead instead of this kind of crap.

Tom

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Just to make this clear, I'm sure you know this Brian but others might not, that is the prize for the winner of the entire reserve season, not just this match.

As for the Revs not having anyone else to put in......I find that odd since teams participating in the reserve game are allowed to travel their entire roster.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gimmie a break!

1. They really need to put a better mechanism in place to deal with injuries. I'm not bitching about the Revs, but I personally would rather see games called off than played with coaches on the field or with the rules set out at the beginning being broken.

2. I thought stoppage time didn't count in the 90 minutes.

3. Brad's right, but if they are going to put money on the table, the rules should be followed. Someone else (I think the Quakes) played a man down for the last few minutes because they didn't have any more subs.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Larentowicz also played a minute or two in the main game, then went all 90 in the reserve match.

12. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

So, the rules are there to be, I dunno, a general guideline then? I can agree that this looks petty, but there's still the issue that it's a rule on the books. And in this case it wasn't all that difficult to figure out -- Cancela played on Saturday, meant he couldn't go the entire game on Sunday. Pretty simple.

Story (blurb, really) in the Post today mentions that DCU hustled Carroll off, realizing his garbage minutes on Saturday compelled them to take him off earlier than they'd've liked on Sunday. So, one can (possibly, depending upon your capacity for objectivity) see why DCU brass would raise the issue with the league.

One of the issues this DOES raise is what kind of deal MLS teams have struck with PDL or perhaps A-League teams to fill up their roster if they are stuck like the Revs were this weekend. What you DON'T want a reserve system to do is create problems for the Club.

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks. Obviously, there are problems with the reserve game system. It's apparent that there still is not enough depth to pull off these games with injuries and leaves of absence. Limiting player time is just not going to work.

Sorry, there should be no financial incentive for winning this year. If possible, play the games to give the reserves more experience and allow injuried players to play back into the lineup.

Under the current rules, DC had every right to file a complaint. Of course, maybe NE was using the metric system to keep track of time... ;)

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano

I completly forgot about the guest player rule. Lalas played for the Quakes....he's not a roster player. So, because the Revs didn't take the proper precautions and secure a guest player to help fill out their injury-depleted roster the should be able to break the rule and win? Sorry....I'm not buying that.

15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rules should be followed. I think Chivas did the same this weekend playing Romo 90 min in the reserve game after he played in the full team match. You don't want this reserve setup turning into a joke. Each team should follow the rules.

17. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Oh, and one more thing...

The rivalry grows btwn NE and DC. This will most likely be ignored by the bulk of the fans, but don't think that Brad's comment won't raise the ire of (at least) DCU management.

Given the circumstances, that quote can be characterized as pretty snarky.

And I'm all for building rivalries, btw...

18. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    If you're winning 3-1 with 12 minutes to play, I don't care if the other team brings on Henry and van Niistelrooy... you have no one to blame but yourselves if you lose.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    File this under growing pains.

I also think DCU has a legit point. Rules are rules.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad they're treating the reserve league game with some sense of urgency. Maybe if the Revs treated practice games the same way there'd be a trophy in the cabinet somewhere

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    perhaps it would be best to up the total limit from 90 minutes to something like 110 or 120 minutes.

It's silly that, as the rule is written, players like Carroll have to get subbed out of the reserve match because they picked up late 2nd half minutes in the league match.

It also seems sillier if the Revs can get away with leaving Cancela on the field for the entire reserve match. Will be interesting to see what the result of the protest will be. Perhaps a reserve match replay is in order the next time United travels to NE.

22. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    This makes a TON of sense.

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    We have four cups because take everything seriously, even the minutes in the reserve games. Other teams would do well to follow our example.

Sachin

24. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But what about when the Rev's or cheating Bob uses a player for 112 or 122 minutes? Doesn't the debate start again?

25. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My understanding of the reserve league minutes was that players couldn't play a combined 130 minutes.

Meaning going 90 in one game and 40 of another is fine. But apparently, not a minute more.

But it does make it tricky because of stoppage - etc. Coaches are expected to sit on the sidelines with a timer, I guess.

To invalidate a result because of a two-minute infraction does seem petty. In other reserve league matches this season already, I'll bet coaches have miscounted or left a player in just a minute longer - it just didn't happen to affect the match so much. These things need to be tweaked out in the first season of the reserve league.

Of course the rules should be followed, but the spirit of the game should hold true as well. DC lost the game.