Union In-Season Player Rumors & Movement 2013

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season's upon us, and the transfer window closes on May 1st, so there are still two months to fill those vacant roster spots. So, let's begin ...

----------------------

After his contract was "torn up", Tyler Ruthven is now available. Anyone?

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team has seemingly delayed the official announcement of Kassel's signing:

* in the press release related to the signings of Anding, Fernandes and Konopka - it also said that they signed trialist Matt Kassel - the odd part was that there was some bio facts about the other three players but not Kassel. The team later removed Kassel's name from the artcile but there still was a reference to the "quartet" that recently signed. The current version of the press release now just says "group" of players as opposed to the "quartet". I have to wonder if Kassel's contract approval by MLS may have just been delayed a bit with all of the contracts that the league has to approve these past few days ahead of roster compliance day (given that Kassel is likely getting a minimum level contract, he is probably an off-budget player so his salary would not have been a factor in terms of salary budget $ compliance). Given how long Kassel has trialed for the Union in 2012 and 2013 , he hopefully is not having a Tyler Ruthven-like experience as Dills posted.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/ne...ion-sign-anding-fernandes-and-re-sign-konopka

* the roster card for today's game (which was likely printed earlier in the week) included Anding, Fenrandes and Kassel.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/sites/philadelphia/files/QRCode Roster Card 3.2.13.pdf

I also have to think that the team will bring in some younger goalies to be the #3 as an off-budget player (no Hartman, Gaudette, Restrepo-types) to keep a place warm before Zack Steffen is signed to a HG deal. In looking at free agents, some potential candidates, most of whom were in 2013 pre-season camps, include:

* Samir Badr (20 year old was in Columbus camp - ex-US Youth national team and Bradenton Academy player including time under Hackworth, ex-DCU Academy, played in Egypt before returning to US)

* Brian Sylvestre (20 year old was in KC camp - played with Vancouver last season. Another ex-US Youth national team and Bradenton Academy player including time under Hackworth)

* James Belshaw (22 year old English GK from Duke who was ranked as the #1 goalie in the 2013 draft - drafted by Chicago this season but was cut. He would require a trade to get his rights but it would be a late Supplemental pick.)

* Jeremy Vuolo (25 year old was the #3 goalie last season for NYRB. Played in Finland prior to that season. Played for Reading in PDL and University of Syracuse before that time).

3. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had such players in camp and didn't sign any - even as placeholders. I'm not yet convinced that the team won't look to sign a battle-tested veteran, possibly even to compete with or sit MacMath (or loan MacMath to HCI). It doesn't make the most sense from a roster management stand-point, but its a cost effective way to make a difference on the field and in the locker room for what is still a very young team. We were making an offer to Recber in December - I think Hack is still shopping for a Mondragon-esque player with a slightly more friendly cap number.

4. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a goalie working out with MacMath, Konopka and Vartughian during pre-game warm-ups so he may be a trialist. He looked like he was 6', 6'1" tops - probably early/mid 20's - a bit on the short side for a goalie especially standing next to Konopka. I did not recognize him but he was on one of the potential goalies who I listed.

At best, we are talking fringe roster players if anything develops.

There were 9-10 field players warming up prior to the gameday players' warm-up - could not get good looks at them from a distance but most of them were likely roster players (i.e. Hernandez, McLaughlin, Anding, Fernandes, Jordan, Kassel, Albright - did not see anyone as tall as Wheeler).

5. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So...Tiffert is available.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumping his under-performing DP ass to bring in the likes of Obafemi Martins, whom I really liked while he played for Newcastle United.

7. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played for Inter Milan for a while. He's a nice player.

8. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @PhilaUnion: JUST IN: @philaunion announce the signing of trialist @MattKassel: http://t.co/x0pSclnKcD #DOOP

9. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a head-spinner! MLS Cup, here we come!

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta sign one of the few guys who actually scored in the preseason.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just don't ever play them, except for maybe the last 10 minutes as a sub.

12. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10?? Don't you mean 2-5?

13. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or trade them.

[​IMG]

14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I feel like chandler hoffman isn't bummed about this. I'd be stoked if I were him.

15. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Didn't he just say in an interview that he'd rather be nowhere else? I know a lot of guys BS this when they arrive at new teams, but he did go to UCLA and everything. I think this is good for him.

16. dmmihali

dmmihali Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ard-chandler-hoffman-sees-fresh-opportunities

“There's nowhere else I'd rather be,” Hoffman told MLSsoccer.com following LA's training session Tuesday morning at the Home Depot Center. “Hopefully, I can learn from the guys like Robbie [Keane] and Mike [Magee], and the [move means the] Champions League – I'm heading down [to Costa Rica] today – a lot more games, and just trying to continue to get better each day as a player.”

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Ansaldi! You missed this Argentine who's coming to MLS ...

http://4-2-3-1.com/2013/03/06/exclu...rward-maximiliano-urruti-to-be-their-next-dp/

18. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he's happy there. I can't say I'm sorry to see him go. Showed nothing while he was here; couldn't even register a single shot on goal, much less a goal or an assist.
    Did this guy do any scouting the entire offseason other than that one trip with Hack? Doing nothing and collecting a check is fast becoming the Union MO. This club is full of bums and he's just another one.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    While I understand everyone blaming Ansaldi, the blame actually is at the feet of Vartughian since he is the technical director and is "responsible for overseeing the club’s scouting and evaluation of players" (per the team's website). Ansaldi could be bringing up players and Vartughian could be shooting them down for all we know. Of course the website also says that Hackworth is responsible for scouting international players. So maybe it is both Vartughian and Hackworth that are to blame. And Sakiewicz is responsible for both of them being there so I blame him too. Bunch of no talent bums.

22. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    maybe Ansaldi was told to look at 2nd and 3rd division because the U don't want to spend the money for better quality. with all the sell outs and stuff, ho needs a winning team.

23. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I can't blame Ansaldi for anything, we don't KNOW what is going on. He could be finding gems for the team to pickup but they don't want to spend the money. We just don't know and its unfair to say since he hasn't brought in any players that he sucks and he needs to go.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is his goal to bring in players that he sucks? That sounds like a horrible job description to me.

25. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that why Nowak was taking something on the side??