UniLeague Between Mexico & USA? That is what MLS envisions

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by chowhog99, Nov 3, 2004.

1. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    I was SHOCKED to hear today that MLS headquarters in New York have a vision to have a Uni-League. A virtual single soccer league between both the USA and Mexico.

I heard this from a extremely credible person in the "inner circle" of MLS executives. But unlike me, they were very excited about this prospect of this UNIleaue between the 2 counries.

Is this new? Have we talked about this before in any forum here on Big Soccer? Do I need to go to another forum to find a discussion thread?

Example: this is where a present USA MLS team plays a present Mexico League soccer team.....only this is the future and both the ML and MLS are one of the same league. ie: San Jose Earthquakes (we can only hope still exists) plays Atlas and they are part of the same league and they play in Mexico and in the States.

This personally sickens me to divide our US soccer. Call me old fashioned. Call me wanting to foster soccer in the USA for a few more generations. I am not sure where this is all leading but I do not like it.

I am pretty frustrated right now as we all are with potentially losing the QUAKES in a lucratic Bay Area market. So I am feeling very strongly opposed to this MLS vision. :mad:

Interested to hear feedback on thoughts of MLS "UNI-league" vision and how it would impact the QUAKES staying or moving.

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    If MLS doesn't want to lose its status of "FIFA approved First Division league" - this won't happen.

3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly I think it should be a tri-league, with Canada included.

It is inevitable (and in fact already occurs) that MLS includes players from central american countries. It is inevitable that other national programs will improve because of MLS. But we will improve more. And a broad based league that supports 20 or more teams is pretty damn fine by me.

In fact, you could argue that a tri-national or bi-national league will use the sports popularity in Mexico to underwrite the growth of the American game. If Mexican fnas help keep American players growing and developing in an American league, well they are cutting their own throats much more than we are cutting ours.

4. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, ive heard this before. Hugo sanchez said that mexico should'n't help the united states. I think he's right, we don't need to leach off someone. But MLS under management of mexicans would be a lot better than the management we have now.

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on the nail... it's enough that MLS can't be allowed to have a team in Toronto, which is why a Canadian First Division is likely before the league will have a revival of Toronto MetrosCroatia/Toronto Blizzard...

Ditto--the likelihood of a UniLeague happening will be in the form of the UEFA Champions League--with the best of MLS taking on the MFL and whoever else, but that won't happen for some time...

6. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not by any stretch accusing anyone here of xenophobia, but I fail to understand the reaction Mexico gets from some people. I have lived in California for over 20 years, and some of the best people I have met in that time are of Mexican heritage (or are directly from Mexico). Why the angry reaction everytime Mexico is mentioned in any context with US soccer?

I mean, the Red Sox just won the world series (man, I hate writin that!) with thier three biggist players from the Dominican Republic. Yet I don't hear anyone complaining about the Dominicanization of baseball or complaining that their presence keeps worthy American boys from getting a shot.

8. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Mexico is our biggest rival in soccer. Until recently, Mexico regularly kicked our butts. If you played soccer beyond a certain level in California, you either played with or against teams that were primarily Mexican. If you live in a reasonably sized town, or a town in an agricultural area like the Central Valley, you don't see any MLS jerseys but you see Chivas, America, etc. almost as frequently as Raiders jerseys.

Why was the US so fired up to beat Mexico in the World Cup?

For me personally, my high schools' (I played varsity at three different high schools) biggest rivals were all schools that featured Mexican-American players. During and after college, I was the token gringo on Mexican teams, and the only non-native Spanish speaker (but my Spanish got pretty good; Landon speaks fluent Spanish because of similar experiences). And honestly, the times I've watched Mexican soccer, I just didn't like the style.

It bugs me to see Chivas jerseys on a daily basis in my town when I've never seen one MLS jersey. It bugs me that MLS shoved a Mexican player down my throat the first few seasons in an effort to bring the Mexican fan to Clash games. Why not put good players on the field instead of paundering to a group?

And I hope I don't come across wrong. I loved playing on a Mexican team-they were absolutely great folks. It's just that when there's an extended rivalry, emotions come into play.

And does anyone care about the US vs. Dominican Republic in baseball? No, the focus of baseball is the majors, not international competition. Apples to oranges.

9. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    If Rangers and Celtic get into the EPL, then lookout. Otherwise, I think we're safe.

10. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is precisely why calling the US MLB championship "The World Series" seems mindless IMO

11. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose
    Tony,
    You miss my point.
    I don't think MLB has scheduled the Red Sox to play in the Dominican Republic every other game. They think the rivalry with the Yankees sells quite well. Playing exhibition games in the Dominican Republic works, but not as part of the regular schedule. Why should our game be different?

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I have heard of a rumored Rio Grande Cup.
    An 8 team tournament between the top 4 Mexican teams and the top 4 MLS teams.
    The winner would get bragging rights, a lot of $$, and in the future, the chance to gain entry to Copa Liberadores.
    Essentially, the Rio Grande Cup would replace the Interliga.

Your thoughts on this?

13. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Were Cut:

Thanks for the considered response. I wasn't trying to be provocative. I was genuinely asking. I accept the point about not liking the style of play. And I’m with you on wanting to see MLS jerseys. (Interestingly, I have seen a few Quakes shirts on central American’s lately.) But I have the same reaction when I see a Man U shirt, etc. I want people to support OUR game. I suspect some people have more animosity about the Chivas shirt than the Man U shirt. That mystifies me.

Wee Man:

If Mexican League teams are added as is to MLS, that’s one thing. But things like Chivas USA and establishing new clubs that happen to play in Mexico or Canada I think is another. If tapping into a Mexican fan base can help keep our league going and growing, then we are using the Mexican fan’s interest to improve OUR national team.

As a side note:

Obviously I understand Mexico is our biggest rival. I look forward to beating them. But when Mexico plays a European power, I root for Mexico because I want our conference to earn greater respect.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who say that are mistaken.

FIFA is only opposed to cross-border leagues when an affected FA is opposed to it.

Like, for example, in the oft-mentioned "Rangers and Celtic to the EPL" example. FIFA and UEFA oppose that because... [drum roll] ...the Scottish FA is opposed to it. Without Rangers and Celtic in the SPL, the entire professional game in Scotland comes crashing down.

Meanwhile, in this part of the world, it would be a different story if MLS wanted to put a team in Canada. The CSA is desperate to have professional teams in Canada higher than the A-League and would love have more Canadians playing professionally in North America. Obviously that means either a real Canadian league or they get MLS to put a team or two in the Great White North -- you tell me which is an easier path for them. Meanwhile, the USSF isn't exactly in the habit of blocking anything that MLS wants to do, so they're on board.

At the end of the day, if both the CSA and USSF sign off on it, FIFA will allow Canadian teams in MLS, and they'll smile while doing so. It's pretty much the same reason why FIFA allowed Canadian teams in the NASL. (And no, contrary to what many people believe, the NASL was not an outlaw league. It was completely FIFA-approved, although they did grumble about the rules modifications.)

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    this might be where the rumor started

very improbable in the next 10 years. after that anything is possible anyway. don't believe this is serious concept. but $$$ often will make things happen

16. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Why do you want to bring even more corruption to MLS?

17. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure this is not meant to replace MFL and MLS but rather to have a kind of Champions League for North America, but not under the control of CONCACAF.

18. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues

It was not explained in that context. It was explained as a UNI-League. In fact, "uni-league" was the term described. There was no mention of a champions league for N/A in this case. More of a league with no borders between US & Mexico.

19. Current competitions in CONCACAF between clubs don't seem to generate much interest, but I think that is because they are during the Mexican off-season and no one takes them seriously. A Champions league of CONCACAF should have some long term appeal. There just don't seem to be many open days left for such competitions. I don't think you will see one, unified league between Mexico and the US in the next ten years. I do think one or more teams in MLS from Canada makes sense, since Canada doesn't have the base for a league of their own. I'd love to see more interleague play with the Mexican League.

20. QuakerHead

QuakerHead New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    San Jose
    I'm beginning to think MLS is in really big trouble. In the end, they didn't lift a finger to hold Landon. Probably because of the money involved. The playoff games I've been seeing on TV have had horrible attendance.

This unileague could save soccer in the US. We need another source of paying fans. While I was against the Club America concept, because it took away our identity, I don't have much of a problem with this. If we played Club America here, we would draw big-time and our steady 11,000 fans would constitute a good 50% of a solid turnout. This might be the only hope to save MLS.

21. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the scheduling and travel distances be an absolute nightmare logistically?

Adidias just put $150 Mil into the league, and we're adding 2 more teams next year. Attendance was up, and more stadiums are being built in the next 3 years. The league turns 10 next year -- we're still in the growth stages.

22. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    What if it was like baseball used to be, where the National and American league teams never played each other, aside from the All-Star game and World Series? That strikes me as minimum impact and organization.

Alternatively, you could set up a northern (US) and southern (Mexico) conferences. Then play the majority of your games against the team in the same conference, just as MLS currently does.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised the Mexican league would want this. What do they gain? I suppose they'd be hoping that, at some point in the future, the US will become a lucrative soccer market.

23. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    While I didn't hear the term 'unileague' mentioned, I heard the same thing and I feel this is certainly in the cards down the road. Both countries' leagues are enthusiastic about the prospect.

As am I. I think this (and including Canadian clubs) could be the second silver bullet (along with stadiums) for us.

Heck, i even also heard one of the things along with this they'll be doing is synchronising the schedule with the MFL (splitting it in two with a month or two summer break w/ int'l play) if not go Fall to Spring with a similar winter break (once teams have their own/control their stadiums) along with the MFL.

24. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Heh. you have to be joking.

Why would Cruz Azul, for example, want all those road dates in the United States? Competitive league matches?

Not to mention a league over godknowhowmany major television markets?

$$$

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Yea it might be a few years away from happening..... but the steps are slowly but surely coming into place. The Interliga is just one of them. And when MLS teams are ready for the limielight, the Rio Grande Cup will take the place of the Interliga.