Unemployed ex-NT player

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  2. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Odonkor has never been a good footballer (technic wise), but his strength was his pace and so he could confuse the opponents defense by simple running around. His development was thrown back by mayor injuries and not by the move to Spain. Very sad story, best of luck for him (in football or in real life).

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heard Augsburg may try to sign Odonkor.

4. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I hope Gerald Asamoah finds a new club, because he is a very positive person and has fighting spirit. 1.BL is probably too much for him, but playing in a lower division or a smaller league and giving experience to younger players could work IMHO.

Timo Hildebrand is in talks with some clubs and with 32 as a goalie he can have some years to play. But probably not in the BL.

Andreas Hinkel is a player, who suffered in the last season by a terrible injury, crucial rupture, missed about 6 month. It is a tough situation to be injured and out of contract. Hopefully he finds a club a winter.

"Hitz the hammer" had a bad time in Roma, but his personal stats at West Ham Utd look ok. English football really seems to suit him, maybe he gets an offer from there.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since when has hildebrand not been good enough to have a job in the 1.bl?

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Odonkor training with some 5th division outfit now. Ouch.

7. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    IMHO since he left Stuttgart he is not good enough for a starting goalie job (and as a sub he is to expensive). At Hoffenheim he showed poor performances and at Sporting Portugal he also didn't get much playing time as well (3 matches last season). Currently he is connected with mid-table teams from Greece and Turkey, but he ruled out in an interview to move there and waits for good offers.

That is an ok strategy IMO. A BL club not being happy with their goalies after some match days could offer him a chance. Best of luck for him, that is probably the only way to be back in BL business.

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How did he just become that crap after being so good for vfb stuttgart and being the 3rd best goalie in the country in 2006. That's the part I don't understand. He wasn't a one season wonder.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was also pretty good in his short time with Valencia, almost single handedly won them the Copa del Rey. Was brilliant in that tournament and final against Getafe. Remember it very well. After that......downhill and fast.

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really shocking that Hildebrandt can't even make it as a 3rd choice keeper in any BuLi side. Is there such depth in the keeping department in Germany?

I remember, a decade+ ago, Germany nationalized Sean Dundee and he never even got a chance to play for the NT. Then everything went downhill for him. He was on the Liverpool reserves for an entire season. :eek:
    That imo, is just as bad as not getting a club.

11. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hitzlsperger Unemployed???

I thought he is something arround 28 or 29. He is still a serviceable player imo and was an option for the WC last year.

Its really sad

13. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Following the link to an article about the 1860 investor, I found at Bild.de an interview with David Odonkor. This guy really had to suffer. 5 mayor knee injuries in 5 years, at the last one he got a bacterial infection in the Seville hospital. If this would not have been sad enough his wife lost an unborn baby. :(
    This guy has really fighting spirit to try to get fit in the 5th division and work on his dream to make a comeback in pro football.

14. SlantNGo

SlantNGo Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i thought odonkor had hooked up with some german fifth tier club.

rangers, though?

... it's worse than i thought.

1 person likes this.
  16. bayernfan86

bayernfan86 Member

May 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hitzlsperger had a good enough stint with west ham to secure a contract. I'm really surprised he is struggling to get with a team.

17. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hitzlsperger apparently got signed by Wolfsburg.

18. rantanplan

rantanplan Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Berlin
    Odonkor was not signed by Rangers. He wasnt fit enough it seems