Understanding Midfield Ratings

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Stogey23, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I would appreciate any help in understanding midfield ratings. Obviously, this is one of the most important aspects of HT...but one I've yet to grasp.

My midfield rating for my last game was disastrous (very high). This was with my first team, and my 3 IMs totalling 7 stars. I play a 3-5-2 and usually Attack on the Wings. My wingers always pull either 2.5 or 3 stars. My entire team usually pulls 25.5 - 26.5 stars.

My question is, why do I not have a higher midfield rating? That is my number one question, but I have others - mostly based on my players listed below:

Is Attack on Wings dragging down my rating/would AIM raise it?

Is my midfield's stamina dragging it down?

Any other comments will help!

Here's my team and my 6 IMs (sorted by HT Buddy 'value'):
    [​IMG]

I would also like to note that I primarily rely on using HT Buddy's "value" rating to decide who starts. Is this a bad idea?

2. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Your stamina does have an effect on your midfield ratings and looking at your mids, I think that is probably part of your problem. The reason the midfield rating tends to be lower than the other ratings is that it is pooled (instead of a left/center/right rating like the others). I'd say the rating was a bit low, but not much. What was your TS when you played?

And I too use buddy's value to help pick my lineup. I don't think it is a bad idea at all.

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Helgallen. My TS was irritated.

So TS can directly be seen as affecting the ratings? I thought TS and MOTS/PIC doesn't show up in the ratings or stars, but it is hidden. Am I wrong?

4. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    After looking at some of your matches, I'd suggest playing only one midfielder (the one with passable passing) offensive. Those ratings do seem a bit low (probably just due to the TS), but stick with it and they'll improve (I'd assume you're training midfield, judging by their ages). Your midfield is pretty much in the position mine was a season ago. By season's end you should be able to pull at least poor midfields all the time.

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    So having my midfielders set to normal will help the midfield rating but lower the attack rating, right? (and vice-versa?)

6. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    No, putting midfielders offensive or defensive has no effect whatsoever on your midfield. It's just the defence/attack that improves/decreases.

7. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Improving your stamina and team spirit will go a long way towards helping your midfield.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Instead of both of your wingers being played offensively, play one of them towards the middle. Leave the other as offensive.

The "winger towards the middle" will boost your midfield rating some. It will adversly affect your attack ratings though.

I would avoid AOW and AIM as part of your experiment as they adversly affect your defensive ratings.

Let us know how it works out.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, before you go putting wingers towards the middle you need to make sure you have a winger who is decent at playing towards the middle.

Basically you might want to consider just playing one of the IMs you arent using for your starting three and then playing a fourth IM as a winger TM.

A winger with no Playmaking or stamina played towards the middle is a waste of attack ratings,

10. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Ack, looks like you're right and I was wrong.

I could've sworn I read in the rules that playing an IM offensive or defensive impacts midfield, but another look at the rules makes it seem as though that's not the case.

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the advice guys. I like the Winger towards Middle idea, specifically because I could use a couple of my IMs in that position too...freeing up one of my wingers to start at wingback (Agnis V).

Here's my wingers:
    [​IMG]

12. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you're comfortable with the things that go into it for IMs (and any other positions where you use it) and how it's weighted. You might, for example, think that it gives a little too much weight to passing and adjust your choices accordingly. I usually do use the positional listings when I'm setting my lineup because it helps to organize the players by skill, form, and experience, and there aren't any drastic disagreements with my own assessments (although I always use the central defender rating to select my wingbacks, because I need a lot more defense than offense from that position).

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Stogey... mind if i ask what series u are in?

14. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    VI.79

You?

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im in VI too... its just your im's are all mostly better than mine at such young ages... oh well...

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    What is your team ID?

I've only been playing for 11 full weeks, and I am thrilled to already have an excellent IM (even if he never starts). I was fortunate to have a week before I got my team to prepare my plan, which was to buy 6 passable IMs as quickly as possible for training purposes and spend the rest on 4 wingers and striker upgrades. I chose not to expand my stadium right away, and that allowed me the extra cash to fill my training needs.

The IM who is excellent now popped to solid within 2 weeks of training PM, and then I had one pop each week for the next 5 weeks. I think I was pretty lucky, but that's the way it is. I had virtually NO sellable assets when I started, so I've been struggling financially for a while. However, I was just able to upgrade my stadium to 15K, which put me about 220K in the hole. I was lucky to get two straight passable goalie YPs, which cut about 120K off of that debt.

The moral of the story is, it's all about the training baby.

17. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    What are you training?

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Playmaking... i guess i did not get into the whole science of the game. I mean, its fun, but sometimes i find its too much like work. I started poorly I guess... did not know what to train trained scoring then pm and went a few weeks without friendlies etc. in the early going... i have had shity youth pulls for the most part save a pa gk. the one thing that's going well for me is my finances... I am only about 50k in debt and in 9 days I will have a 25k stadium (I have been selling 10450 tickets everyweek for awhile).

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

20. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    as stated above, i can clearly tell you with 95 percent confidence that the problem is the stamina of your players.

21. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    You're talking to me, right?

I want to raise their stamina, I really do. However, it just kills me to take away a week of playmaking training. I think I just need to stay on course with my training plan, and not worry about results (even though I'm doing well in my series).

22. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    considering that most of your middies have inad. stamina, you would probably need 4 weeks of stamina training to get everybody to excellent. I guess you have your own plans of training 4 weeks stamina before selling them out. You will lose out big money if they dont have excellent stamina.

23. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I realize your point. The reason I'm waiting on Stamina is what I stated above AND the fact that I can buy new trainees first and let them get this stamina training too. That way I can buy discount trainees (low stamina) and still get my current crop up to speed.

24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have had similar problems in the past.

Take your losses this season -- at least you know why you are getting them -- as the season draws to a close get at least two weeks of stamina training in --- see how quickly your players improve. Then reevaluate.

If they are still in need of improving stamina as the next season begins, squeeze another week of stamina in and then revert back to your previous training regimen.

If your players stamina jumps upto an average of solid/excellent then stop and revert back sooner.