UNCG Charlotte [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by uncgfan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Well, the hot 49ers scored first, then UNCG reeled off 4 in a row on the road and took a 4-2 win.

Patterson (33 pts now), freshman Matt Smith (5th of the year), Scott Jones and Phil Long all scored for the Spartans.

Shots: UNCG 18 Charlotte 15
    Fouls: UNCG 12 Charlotte 16

And of course, somehow with Roni Canales reffing the match UNCG ends up with six cardable offenses (with only 12 fouls) and David Worthen was freakin ejected, and the team bench got a card? This happens everytime this person is in the middle. It's almost like they have a vendetta against us (or were pissed that Charlotte got run for four straight goals including Phil Longs shorthanded one at the 82nd minute mark.

Worthen will not be available for a crucial October 27th home match with High Point (good Lord!). I gues sarcasm doesn't come across well in that context now does it?

If anybody saw this, please tell me what happened. I find the foul count versus cards to be very, very suspect tonight. But I expected it as soon as I saw the bottom of the box score.

2. TheG

TheG New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    The ref said he was ejected for cursing, like Worthen was the only one who cursed all nite. Besides that, he was body slammed and was called for a foul, the officiating was awful, including both linesmen, a total joke. The middle ref tried to do all he could to insure that he could be the one in the middle to ref the upset of the #1 team in the country, don't tink so.

3. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    "You have to take your hat off to UNCG they are having a great season," Charlotte coach John Tart said. "They are an experienced team that is playing with a great deal of confidence right now. I thought we played really well in the first half and at the beginning of the second half. But when they scored their second goal we had to push forward more offensively and it left us vulnerable on defense. UNCG deserves to be the number one team in the nation."

4. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Hey guys...concerning the game, I heard G looked quite good, and pretty much dominated Charlotte, especially in the midfield. I was told the Spartans midfielders went through Charlotte like a hot knife through butter, with almost no resistence. That's usually what happens when good players go up against inferior players who are nothing more than head down dribblers and whiners.

5. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

Well done UNCGfan,

Keep the season going....Do you have a conf tourney???

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern Conference Tournament is here in Charleston Nov 11-14. Some of the early rounds are at the College of Charelston's fine stadium at Patriot's Point.

The Semis and final will be held at Blackbaud stadium, home of the Charleston Battery. I plan on trying to make as many of the matches as possible and will try to post some photos as well.

Here is a link
    http://www.soconsports.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=153&sportid=121

from that page click on the link to the brackets, sorry I don't know how to post or link a .pdf file.

Mikey

7. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I expect UNCG to lose their first game either at Charleston next week or against Charleston in the Socon tourney. We have the worst luck against them at Patriots point.

No offense, but that tournament has been the biggest joke since they moved it to Charleston. Not only does CofC get home field advantage, but Socon commissioner Danny Morrison STOPPED the tourney for rain (honestly monsoon) a couple of years ago in the middle of UNCG-Furman match and awarded the league title and auto bid to Furman.

Top it all off, it was the SEMIS so Davidson or Charleston were still waiting in the wings and never got a shot at playing Furman (who was up 2-1 or 3-1 on UNCG at the stoppage) for the title.

Look for a charelston tournament title (since they get to sleep in their own beds) and UNCG and CofC to go to the tourney with two bids for the socon.

8. TheG

TheG New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Actually the first round is played at the top four seeds home field this year, then the semis and finals are in Chucktown at Blackbaud Stadium. A different format this year, allowing only the best four teams in the SoCon to play in Charleston. And the year the SoCon tourney was suspened, it was due to rain in 2002, Furman was ahead of UNCG 3-o and was called after a fight about 75 into the match. A ball could not go 5 yards without being stopped in a puddle, it was a very odd way to end a strange season for the Spartans that year. VMI and Davidson were actually scheduled to play in the other semifinal right after Furman/UNCG. Furman was awarded the automatic bid, yes, leaving everyone else out to dry, it was a laugher. The first round games were actually all played at a nearby high school, Bishop England due to heavy rains. Patriots Point is in a wonderful area for great college soccer, but does not hold up well under poor weather, as in 2002.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a first year the semis are being held at Blackbaud. Besides being on of the best facilities in the Southeast, do you think possible weather could be the reason for the move.

As far as home field advantage, the CofC might have a slight edge by sleeping in their own beds but as far as the tournament goes, a team has to win away from home if they are not going to be the tournament champions.

While I'll admit I know only what I read about the other teams in the SoCon but with CofC, their training schedule is intense and that will give them the upper hand over a busy week with as more games than usual.

I'll be at the UNC-G v CofC match this weekend, which should give us a good preview to the tournament championship game.

Mikey