UNC vs NC State [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by misoccer6, Oct 24, 2004.

1. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    Game just started...so obvious the "coach-player" thing..Watson scores in the last two games with less playing time than the starters, and he still doesn't start the game...goes to show you..don't let your dreams of going pro be known...you get benched.

2. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Re: UNC vs NC

As far as Watson is concerned, it shouldn't matter to him. He'll go pro with or without Bolowich's approval after this season. I warned early on in the season that coach would make sure he didn't get the Hermann Award. What better way than to not play him.

What really matters now is this team has a chance to salvage this season and the coach makes these types of decisions based on emotion.

You would also think that these kind of decisions would have an impact on recruiting, especially from the U17 pool. These kids do still talk the folks in Bradenton.

Just let it go. It doesn't good any good to point out the shortcomings of this program. I've already tried it. Apparently no one at UNC cares.

3. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

WELL DONE BOYS

undefeated against ranked sides.......on a roll

You guys bitching about Watson's minutes ...do you have Direct TV...watch the EPL boys.....every good team has a SUPERSTAR to bring off the bench to score...Watson has been very productive ...it is about productivity not minutes.....every MLS knows Watson...he does not need to play 90 minutes

Allan Shearer, Diego Farlan and many other great scorer come off the bench.....Do you think Watson will start his first year in the MLS.....NO ....he will come off the bench and

This has been dicussed on BS ...we dont know why he is coming off the bench....maybe it is because he is versitile and can play mid or forward and the skipper wants to bring him in where someone is struggling......WE DONT KNOW WHY....but it would not be to keep him from going pro....he has been clear he is going pro......and the skipper is not trying to lose matches.....

Captain TIM MERRITT has stepped up to show the freshmen and sophmore how to score and hold on to a lead........

4. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Look, this is silly. I've watched every UNC home game but one this year, and I think that Bolowich's decision to bring on Watson as a sub seems totally justifiable. Watson just hasn't been as dangerous as Ashe and Storey overall, and it doesn't make much sense to have three short forwards on the field all the time.

In fact, if I was ranking who I'd pick to start at forward for UNC right now, Watson would probably be fourth on the list, after Storey, Ashe, and Harrington. He hasn't been one of the best three players on a team that's one game over .500, so I don't see the logic in complaining that he's being cheated out of the Hermann.

Watson had a good game today - didn't contribute to either goal, but set up a few good chances. UNC played well, although both of their goals seemed a little flukey. They were clearly more skilled than State, but lost most of the physical battles, and once again corner kicks and free kicks were a total nightmare for the Heels defense. The first half was pretty wild and out of control at times, which played into NC State's hands. Things settled down a lot in the second half, and UNC did a good job of shutting down the State attack after they scored their second goal.

The team seems to be coming together well, and the defense has only given up three goals in the past six games, so that's obviously a huge improvement. I think moving Sloutscher to the back line and Fumo to the midfield was a crucial adjustment; both of them look much more effective in their current positions than they were at the beginning of the season.

5. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill

Glad to see UNC continue on the winning streak...the team is starting to chill together. Nice to see Tim stepping up and getting the team going in the right direction..

6. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002

As an NC State fan I can only say NC State deserved a better result today. After reading the posts from the UNC faithful - you would think it was a blowiut.

In the first half State was the dominant team - faster, better passing, and better defense. Not even close. If by 'wild' you mean UNC couldn't keep possesion and Ford Williams repeatedly making unbelievalbe saves - then I'll agree. Not sure about your skill comment - it looked pretty even. And both goals were flukes - but that is soccer.

I've seen most of the ACC teams this year and I'd love to see the Wolfpack play the Tarheels again in the tournament.

7. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

BTW Ford was out of control in the goal.......He did rob State on several occassions and I agree State could have won.....but UNC could have won 5 matches lost by 1 goal.....dont you love this game....

8. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002

DIEGO FORLAN ?? Wow. A great scorer? You are really stretching for examples here. I'm sure there are some Man U fans that would be howling at that one .....

9. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Not a blowout by any means, and it was fairly tense until about minute 65 (State didn't really threaten after that). But, while I'm definitely biased, I don't think many neutral observers would have much doubt about which was the better team on the day. There were 20-30 minutes or so during the first half, after UNC's first goal, in which NC State had the better of the play. Other than that, almost all their scoring chances came on corner kick chaos, which has been a sore point for UNC all season long. In the second half, UNC's counterattacks were much more dangerous than State's attacks.

10. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

Sorry ...who in the MLS is better

11. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

I think our problem on corners is size and aggressiveness....that is what corners are all about....we have Merritt and Andrew Rhea.......GK ....some of the more aggressive players have not been good enough to get on the pitch....I think next year we will be less dangerous up front without Storey and Watson but more defensive and tougher on corners......I have seen UNC practice ...we might be more talented nest year....

12. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002

Sorry I couldn't resist ....

13. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002

If you didn't see the score - looking at the other stats who was the better team? But the most important stat is of course the score. UNC finished their opportunities - State didn't. Congrats to UNC ....

Total Shots
    NC State 15 UNC 14 (First half State 10-6)

Corners
    NC State 12 UNC 5 (First half State 7-2)

Saves
    NC State 5 UNC 5 (First half UNC 4-2)

14. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

BOYS....

UNC may pop into top 25 after wins over Tech and State......if not maybe after W&M...

I was hoping W&M could continue their run until Wed....but they just could not wait.....

I think UNC could run the table ...except Wake scares me........but we did lose to the dukies...CUPCAKE killers which is worse than the 2-0 leads lost.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

What do you mean by that?

16. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

1- We have only lost to ranked sides

2- We are winning.....................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3- And may win out............10-6-2.....not bad...with the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Then you need an English lesson. You said "undefeated against ranked sides"

You meant "undefeated against unranked sides"

Notice the "un" before the "ranked"

Big difference

Much lesser claim in some ways, definitely a different claim.

18. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

I THINK THERE IS A BIG DIFF IN UNDEFEATED VS UNRANKED ....see dukie schedule.....AND ALL LOSES TO RANKED SIDES....see UNC schedule

NOT THE SAME THING.....but thanks for playing

19. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Well, UNC had more shots on goal - and fewer yellow cards...

I'm just basing my judgment on my impression of the game, which was that aside for part of the first half and set plays in general, UNC seemed to have things pretty well under control. They did do a better job of finishing their chances, but that's not just luck; and getting a great performance from the keeper isn't necessarily luck either.

Besides, it's not like UNC's goals were their only chances of the game- off the top of my head, I think the State keeper stopped Storey on two 1 v 1s, and at one point had to come way out of his area to stop a breakaway at the last second. Tim Merritt had a shot go just wide, somebody put one into the outside netting, and Watson hit the underside of the crossbar (still don't know how that one didn't go in). It was a hard-fought game, but I think it it was a fair result.

On the positive side for NC State, I thought that their defense played very well overall, up until they had to throw players forward in the second half. And Peria had a good game; maybe the best performance from a field player on either side.

20. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    hey genius, figure out you had it wrong yet. you said it backwards. thanks for playing

do you need me to explain it a 3rd time? try reading your post slower.

21. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

Aside from the Diego comment being a laffer.............. Shearer rarely comes off of the bench.

He definitely could've picked better players to make his point with.

22. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002

I know you are new to college soccer ..... but usually when the NCAA selection committee reviews teams at the end of the season - they look at WINS over ranked teams - not LOSSES. Losing consistently to ranked teams is not necessarily a good thing.

23. sloweddie

sloweddie New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Re: UNC vs NC State

To help out ukforunc86 a little, I would say that PB04 is partly right ... they look at the team's overall record, and they look at strength of schedule when comparing teams who are "on the bubble" ... and for teams with similar records, they would look at the quality of their wins, and they would also look at the quality of their losses (i.e. were their losses against ranked teams or against weaker teams). I think they would also consider head-to-head competition if it came down to two teams close in these categories ... and I'm sure there are other considerations as well.

The UNC win over NC State was big, since they have similar records, and could be competing for one of the last at large spots if they both continue along parallel paths for the remaining few matches.

24. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Re: UNC vs NC State

Sloweddie, I agree with you analysis.

25. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill
    OK forget the 1st post ...I messed up....peace to all the world