UNC vs. Davidson (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LuvDaBears, Oct 22, 2003.

1. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
  2. SouthernSoccerScene

SouthernSoccerScene New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    This Davidson team is an achilles heel for any of the ACC teams, and almost matched their upset of a year ago. They had taken Duke's scalp earlier in the year, and if not for Fumo and Merritt bailing out the Tar Heels, Davidson might have been giant killer once again.

Matt Spear is one of the most underrated coaches in the country, and always has his teams very organized and well-prepared.

Two decent players for Davidson are the goalkeeper and their central defender (Latting).

What is going on with UNC's goalkeeper situation? No one seems to give me a clear answer, but it looks like both Williams and Hughes have been getting a regular chance during the course of the year. I know that the CASL faithful hold Ford Williams in a certain regard, but I don't think he is too well-respected by the other teams (or their coaches) in the conference or region.

I sign of a good team is finding a way to win games like this, and Elmar has to continue to get consideration for ACC and National Coach of the Year with the team's ability to grind this victory out.

3. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I havent' followed the U20 preparations very closely - is Williams still going to miss a lot of post-season in the UAE? If so, it would make sense to get Hughes as much time as possible, especially since he's done fine so far.

4. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    SSS, ditto your thoughts on Spear...plus, he's a nice guy too, which is rare in the world of D1 soccer.

Speaking of coach of the year...when does the voting actually take place, and how many voters are there?
    Is it media members, plus coaches? Can you explain the details?

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    While the Heels may have been looking past Davidson, keep in mind that Storey didn't play due to red card suspension from the NCSU game. No matter what you think of him, he is a vital part of the UNC offense. Davidson is not a bad side either, one that is scary to any "big" school, especially for a mid-week game.

6. SouthernSoccerScene

SouthernSoccerScene New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    The NSCAA Coach of the Year voting is done by the coaches, and the impression I have been given is that they vote Regionally first and then Nationally. Saying that, there will be several Regional Coaches of the Year, and from that group of coaches, a National Coach of the Year would be selected.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why didn't Ashe play? Without the pace he and Storey bring, I would imagine the heels are a much different team.

8. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I really doubt the Heels were looking past Davidson, after losing to them at home last year - I think that's their only defeat at Fetzer since 2000.

9. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Ashe

Ankle injury prior to the NCST match ... return indefinite.

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    C'mon guys, say what you will about Davidson, they're not even close to UNC when it comes to talent, with a few exceptions of course.

Carolina gets everyone's best shot...and that game means MUCH more to Davidson.

There was a play in the second half where Davidson sent a long ball in from the right flank to a teammate inside the box who was unmarked (in fact nobody within 8 yards of him), he settled it quicky and then sent a very weak shot right at Williams who gathered it with ease. Most of the UNC players would have hit it with some pace, and gone to the far post.

11. NCsoccerD1

NCsoccerD1 New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Get Serious

OK, this is one thread where I have a lot of experience to speak from - I have played with nearly all of the Davidson guys and have followed them for the last 3 years.

I assure you that UNC did NOT look past Davidson - I have never seen such a bitter ending as when Davidson beat them last year. UNC wanted revenge and they wanted it bad.

Facts are yes, Davidson is time again a Giant-Killer and they are damn hard to beat at home, in front of their fans.

HOWEVER, whoever wants to credit Matt Spear is sadly mistaken - Matt Spear came into a team that already possessed amazing grit, desire, and chemistry, with absolutely zero coaching experience and has done nothing but ride the wave of their success.

As for the individual players - Creasman, the keeper is an absolute stud that is completely underrated. As for the backs, however, it is Bass and Navas, the two outside backs that are damn near impossible to beat. They man-mark the top forwards in the nation with incredible success every time. The center back, Latting is rarely involved in the play and possesses what are at best poor ball and distribution skills. His only use is his speed for an occassional recovery run.

And finally, if you want to credit one field player on this team (Because otherwise Creasman is without a doubt the Man to Mention here) it is David Peoples - Senior Co-Captain who was also Captain last year, has been a 4-year starter and is without a doubt one of the most solid defenders in the nation. Peoples actually tore his ACL in the off-season, rehabbed in a very short time and returned to lead this team to what is a very impressive season thus far.

Coach of the year? Please. Give it to someone worthy. If there was a Team of the Year award, that could go here.

12. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    I see in the future... a Clemson team hungry to salvage something this season. A win at UNC could be a highlight in the making. Lots of recruting battles for same players last fall...time to prove decisions...nostradamus predicts upset!

13. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Re: Re: UNC vs. Davidson (R)

There is zero chance that Clemson will win at UNC.

Nostradamus - you are ruining your reputation. Stick with the predictions of doom and gloom.

14. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Re: Re: Re: UNC vs. Davidson (R)

PB04:
    this might be another "doom and gloom" prediction
    We will just have to wait