UNC-UConn (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by cantona24, Aug 24, 2002.

1. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    UNC and Uconn tied 2-2 in a well played match at SAS Stadium in Cary. Overall, both teams look to be solid and will continue to do well. UConn is very skilled, athletic, and works well. UNC looked calm, had some flashes of good play. UNC got on board first with header from Kneipper off a free kick earned by Storey. Storey was as explosive as ever...simply running past people. Must have drawn 7 fouls in first half alone. UConn equalized on PK with 13 seconds left in 1st half. Uconn went ahead in 2nd with unbelievable free kick by Cuellar. Upper 90, a class goal. AFter the goal both teams looked tired...UNC began to walk and UConn looked content to sit back. Then UNC scored with Mike Gell hitting shot that was deflected and went in. UNC had another good chance as Logan Pause got through and the goalie made a good save. All in all, a good result for both teams considering it's the preseason. No serious injuries it looked like, so that's a plus. Look for both to make noise this year.

2. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Thanks for the report. Who played defense for UNC, and how did they look?

3. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Sean McGinty played left back, Logan Pause and Stokes were in the middle, and Tim Merritt was on the left. The back four looked solid, the outsides will probably go forward more later in season. But for those who thought that the defense would be terrible, they looked alright tonight. Also, Grant Porter is out with a ankle injury, and when he gets back he will be the rock in the middle to disrupt the other team.

4. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Are you saying that Bolowich actually played four in the back?

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    yes, four in the back

6. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Yes he did. Maybe Oliver was holding him back all along! ;)

Late in the match when they were pushing to equalize, he came on with two subs ... Soffe and Kelly for McGinty and Fumo. But he stayed with four in the back ... Soffe went to left back, Kelly went to one of the central defender spots, and Pause moved up. That seemed to work well, since Pause got forward and created a couple of nice opportunities before Gell's tying goal.

It will be interesting to see how they line up after Porter gets healthy. I'm guessing he'll stay with four back there with Porter and Stokes central, and Pause moved up in midfield.

7. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I think I read an interview with Bolowich (can't remember where) in which he suggested that's what he might do.

8. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Interesting that he would abandon his beloved 3-5-2 for a 4-4-2, but I'm sure he changed his formation based on personnel.

What is Porter's injury? Also, did Fumo start, and where did he play? Did Storey play up top, or on the flank? With Williams in Spain with the 20's, who played in goal?

9. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Fumo did start, and played in the middle and Storey was on the right wing. Storey was absolutly explosive all night. Jay Batt was in goal and played well I thought. Fairly aggresive off the line and strong.

10. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    re: TA's questions

Porter is out with an ankle injury. Not sure whether something's broken or whether it's a real bad sprain ... however he's in what looked like a walking cast. I heard 3-4 weeks, and I think he hurt it right after pre-season started. My guess is that when he returns, Pause moves up and Fumo comes off the bench as one of the first subs.

Fumo started in what looked like a d-mid position, at least that's the way he played it. There was very little attack from him, but he was fairly solid. When Elmar subbed for Fumo and Pause moved up, there was much more attack from that position.

Storey was very dangerous all night as cosmo said, and he operated from both flanks at different times. He also played back well when he needed to, winning several balls in his defensive third. He played with good pace for the full 90. And when he turned it on, there was no one on the field that could run with him.

Batt was in goal and played fairly well. The two goals he gave up were a PK and a direct kick from just outside the 18 at a pretty sharp angle. Even though the direct kick was a rocket to the far post, it looked like it froze him ... couldn't tell whether he was screened by the wall or not. He bobbled a couple of easy shots and was weak on his goal kicks ... but overall it was OK for his first start.

11. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Panama
    Can anybody that saw the game tell me if sophmore transfer Rota played at all and how he did?

12. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    yes

Didn't see the game, but I know Rota came on as a sub. I've heard nothing but great things about the kid, so I think expectations are high for him. From what I heard, he just sprays the ball around...

13. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    If Rota is the guy who I think he is...foreign, not much more than 5'5" or so, then yes he played. Did well in the middle, smart player...though he didn't show any game breaking stuff in the exhibition game. All in all a good player though.

14. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Panama
    Re: yes

Sorry, I don't understand the phrase "sprays the ball around".