UNC Tar Heels 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2016.

1. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You, kazoo, and me all agree that the 2nd goal was a tougher situation. I can see that Wubben-Moy was beat by the Princeton forward but in looking at the goal again. it appears that Wubben-Moy made up the slightest of ground when the ball bounced up and the Princeton forward slowed down for it. Sam's presence altered the entire course of play. I believe that the CB still could have denied the strike or, at the very least, changed the angle of the shot. It was a tough situation all the way around. We've all seen similar scenarios. I feel for both Leshnak and Wubben-Moy but nothing can be taken away from Princeton. It wasn't a "cheap" goal. Good luck to Princeton moving forward. I would like to see them keep surprising.

2. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Good points raised.

Center backs are generally not going to be as fast as attacking players at the top level of the college game, so I wouldn't read too much into that. There's no center back as fast as Imani Dorsey or Tziarra King in the ACC.

Second goal is a very tough situation, but I think Sam can still hold her line for that one, too. Even though the attacker is getting there first, the defender is close, and holding her line would force the attacker to take a touch to control before shooting, and it would take a real shot, not a toe poke, to beat her. You hate to see goals scored by balls just rolling languidly into the net. I do agree some of this is on the coaching staff. If goalkeepers are struggling with decision-making, you have to ask if they are being put into positions in training where they have to make game-realistic reads and decisions, or if they're just shuffling around cones and jumping over pylons, doing the same old Soccer Plus Goalkeeper School drills from the 90s.

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Come on folks. Both goals were terrible. Yes, first one was a tragic giveaway, 2nd goal was more of a 50/50 situation with a poor decision and poor execution by the GK but still -
    Here's my take -
    EVERY Goalkeeper ever at UNC should generally 'stay home' and let the players in front of them have every chance possible to make the play. How many teams at UNC historically (including this one) have Needed a GK to come up big for them? To play on the edge of their range and take chances?? Most UNC defenders scored in their high school track meets! (or certainly could have) That's how they've recruited for years.
    ALSO - UNC has been dealing with 'defend and counter' teams for YEARS and they know the random long ball is always coming if an opponent even faces upfield near the mid-line. These long ball, 1v1 situations should be rehearsed and rehearsed at UNC. And No, an Ivy League forward should not be faster than ANY UNC defender, especially at that late stage in the game with the "depth" UNC is supposed to have.

Feel bad for UNC for sure as they have shown potential to have won it this year. But, 50% of the kids are pissed and ending their season every game this time of year. UNC has caused way more tears then they'll ever experience and now deserves no more pity either.

4. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Princeton also played double overtime on Friday vs NCSU, so tired legs is not an issue. I think it says something, though not sure exactly what, that the national team defender on UNC isn't chosen as the CB in the 3 back formation. Makes you wonder if NT players are generally the best ones.

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    You might remember that Mimi Asom was a very highly recruited National Youth Team player who originally committed to Stanford but changed her mind and went to Princeton. She is very fast and dangerous. She would have started at most any top soccer school.

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I'm not disagreeing that it hasn't happened or can't happen, I said "should not be faster" :)
    If UNC has any 'tradition' in terms of personnel it's that they have a fit and fast back line that can play as a 3.
    Watch the video and the UNC right back. She sees the entire play. Long ball coming, time of flight, run of Princeton kid, and she never changes gears. Why? Not her job? Tired? hurt? I mean it's overtime in the NCAA tournament!

7. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    we aren't talking about Asom, the other one scored the second goal. abby givens even from NC, doesn't appear to have GNT/WNT callup either... http://www.goprincetontigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11549

8. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    yep. watched it several times. straight ahead foot race.

9. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    What are you? A Russian troll-bot? This ACC championship team had the guts torn out of it with losses to great players like Emily, Maya, and Jesse--and other injuries, as you have acknowledged-- and they still were within a crossbar shot from Jo of being in the next round. And, oh, this will be your "last comment" until AD is terminated or forced to retire because of your prophetic analysis. Princeton's a good team.

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The exception maybe being Tierna Davidson of Stanford, she is a gazelle.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  11. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You can attack me, it is OK. But you have to live a “little UNC bubble” not to see that UNC plays the most ugly and boring soccer among “elite” teams. They think that 30 players play the game. But even this ridiculous idea does not work anymore. Other teams refuse to get tired. You know why? Because they pass properly and the UNC players runs like crazy to press them.
    One more think. This system does not appreciate strikers because it use them part of the pressing defense. That is why no striker play more than 30 minutes. Did you notice that only one break away play happened in the last 2 months. No given-go at all. Do you think this is the girls fault?
    You mentioned the injuries. Do you really believe they are just bad luck? For years?
    By the way again this year the ACC was weak. Russian troll-bot that is the best you have?LOL

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I am so happy to know that the choice for the the next head coach of UNC Women's Soccer is now obvious. Let's get the word to Bubba Cunningham right away. Wow! He will be so relieved that a coach he can do EVEN BETTER than 21 NCAA championships has been found. What a relief he will feel. Coach European football fan- Head Coach in Waiting UNC Women's Soccer!!!

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    #613 uncchamps2012, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    This is so absurd. NO COACH GETS FIRED AFTER A SEASON LIKE UNC JUST HAD. Sure, below UNC's impossibly high standards, but look what they did-

-Undefeated ACC regular season
    -Wins over FSU (twice), Duke (twice), and UVa- If that's every happened before, it must have been a long time ago
    -ACC tournament champs
    -Great scoring offense and defense
    -A lot of "wonder goals" that were fantastic to watch
    -Talented young players that make the future look bright
    -An amazing group of seniors completing very successful collegiate careers, well-prepared for what comes ahead, in soccer and in life

This negativity of your posts European football fan is just sad. If you really need to get out so much bitterness about something, my gosh , there is lots of stuff in the world that would give you plenty of material and there are countless forums to discuss the sad state of our government and all the problems in the world. But, how about we leave the ACC champs and their legendary coach off your list of things you feel compelled to malign? These are college kids playing soccer and they are having lots of success and represent the very best of collegiate athletics. Call me PC or whatever. Fine. But, I also love the game and enjoy the positivity that this team has always exuded.

HeadSpun and Glove Stinks repped this.
  14. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Gk errors for sure, but if she is coming out off her line in the first 5 minutes and coming out off her line in the overtime, and also throughout the game, it would seem to me that part of the pregame instruction was to play high off her line to anticipate balls over the top. Coaches told her to play play that way. What she failed to do is decipher when the defender can make a play or not. In both goals the defenders were in decent positions to make plays, thus she should have been more conservative in her approach to the ball.

One more thought: Anson has earned the right to coach until his eulogy. UNC is always a threat for titles, and the fact they get knocked out earlier than in the 80s and 90s once in a while is great for the sport.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  15. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AD has earned all the respect what a coach and a fantastic human being can potentially earn. It is not an issue. Also,I never suggested that he should be “fired”. It would be impossible and unnecessary for multiple reasons. He has to make a decision about his future. However, I also believe that his style which was very effective the 80-90s is not working very well in the current soccer environment. Furthermore it is somewhat “anti soccer”. It is not that one game went wrong. The whole system stopped working. So it would be nice to have some discussion about this, not about that AD was a great man. Of course he was and he is. I wonder if you need a surgery you would go somebody who were the greatest surgeon in the past, or somebody who is good now.

16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok now you have made it clear... you want to be the fan of the best team every year . Fine . Do that. And get your surgery from the best surgeon, congratulations. Maybe stop mid surgery and switch if rankings change. Switch ice cream brands weekly. Malign Ben and Jerry on every ice cream forum in the world. Please leave the rest of us alone to root for and discuss our favorite team with some degree of positive regard earned from decades of AD coaching highly succsssful teams. Honestly, some of the seasons I enjoyed most where years they did not win it all. Take the 2013 team ....crystal Dunn and Kehlia ohai as seniors coming off a national title. So much talent returning. Players so clearly loved playing with and for each other. When Katie Bowen was lying on the field unconscious for 20 minutes in the final 8:game vs UCLA , I realized how absurd it was to care so intensely about wins and losses as a fan. I didn’t give a crap who won at that point. Just wanted her to stand up...and i have never met or spoken a word to her. I was a fan though who cared about my team and its players. So, you go on criticizing all of these kids and their absurdly successful coach . Boast about how you knew that would eventually lose. Nice work Nostradamus ... only one team each year wins their last game in the NCAA tournament .unc did that 21 Times. College cup last year .#1seed this year. If this is failure, sign me up.

17. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What are you talking about? Who criticized the girls? Are you drunk? Who cares if they win? Who cares that UNC won 21 championships? We are talking about 2017. Honestly, I do not care your sentimental feeling about the past. If you think that this team had any chemistry or they played a decent soccer you are living another planet or smoking something. It was a terrible and boring soccer. Just for you I spell it out that it was not the girls fault. Being nasty and abrasive will not make your beloved UNC better. If they had made the CC I would had the same opinion.

18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Please go away. This really used to be a pleasant forum.

19. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #619 European football fan, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Do not worry, I’m going away, so you can live peacefully in your ivory tower. But before I’m gone I would say a couple of points. The only #1 seeded team who did not make the CC was UNC. UCLA beat Princeton 3:1. UNC had one of the most talented roster and it played one of the most boring soccer. You and others have never addressed any of the UNC’s problems. You guys live in the past. But guess what, nobody but you guys care what happened in the past. The girls want to win now. They deserve better. It is really funny that you call me names when I tried to discuss the problems two months ago when everybody was talking about winning the CC. Winning is not everything (although nice), but loosing badly is sad. By the way,where you guys were in the NCAA prediction forum? I was one of the very few people who put UNC to win the CC. Not because I really believed this, but I love the girls. Anyway, it is a pretty useless discussion. So I wish you a very happy New Year in your ivory tower, which is perfect now since you can pee in the lady’s room. LOL.
    Goodbye.

20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    yuck. bye.

21. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Last sentence tells me all I need to know. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

uncchamps2012 repped this.