UNC news and notes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Jul 17, 2002.

1. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    RE: Blue White Scimmage

Apparently Susan Bush played well and has a leadership attitude, something lacking among the seniors last year.

Of note, last year the subs tied the starters, the first time that had ever happened. This year it wasn't close--granted, they are minus the 4 freshman. I still think it will take 4 to 6 weeks for this team to gel and they may lose a game early, but watch out later. I think David summarized the team defense well; they will also score a lot more goals this year.

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    ACC Golden Anniversary team for women's soccer

Here's the ACC's Golden Anniversary team for women's soccer, the top fifty players in the ACC's history. Yesterday, the men's team had six UNC players and today the women's team has 23!

TarHeelBlue article

Oldtimers will have some good reasons to argue about some of the great early players who got left off, but plenty of our modern stars are on the list. Pictures are included too.

3. Magick2do

Magick2do New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    23 Tar Heels Named To ACC 50 Women's Soccer Team

UNC dominates list with 11 former national players of the year tapped.

Twenty-three University of North Carolina players headline the list of the 50 greatest Atlantic Coast Conference women's soccer players of all time, announced Wednesday by the ACC. UNC's representatives cover the history of the program since the 1983, ranging from April Heinrichs and Marcia McDermott who began their careers that year through Jena Kluegel and Danielle Borgman, seniors on the 2001 team.

"I'm very proud of the large number of UNC student-athletes named to the team," said Anson Dorrance , the head coach at North Carolina since 1979. "This is an amazingly representative list and includes players who have been dominant forces both in the ACC and on the U.S. Women's National Team."

As part of its 50th anniversary celebration, the ACC is recognizing the all-time greatest athletes in conference history. Teams will be announced through August and September.

http://tarheelblue.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081402aaa.html

4. Magick2do

Magick2do New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    Nevermind I wasn't paying attention and saw that someone else put this one up on the UNC notes thread. Sorry

5. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    No problem -- you can't have too many UNC threads IMO ;)
    Thanks for posting this!

6. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    nevertheless

:D Well...

UNC has dominated division I women's soccer for quite a few years, so I guess if any team is entitled to more than one thread, it's UNC.

But, on the other hand, we are trying to keep the number of threads on the same subject to a minimum. And this is a duplicate, so I'm going to merge it with the other thread.

Cheers

7. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Its kind of weird how so many WUSA teams have picked UNC players only to drop them or put them on reserve rosters. There are a lot on the list who are still playing, but there are alot who aren't in the WUSA rite now or on reserve rosters.

8. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Some of our alums are injured: Rakel Karvelsson and Lindsay Stoecker. Both Lori Schwoy and Robin Confer were dropped because of injury.

Last year Nicole Roberts missed the season due to injury but I don't know why she was not used this year.

Meredith (Florance) Beard had injury problems the early part of the first season but after recovering was not able to live up to expectations. She is now with the Freedom but it seems she does not play a lot.

Dani Borgman has had some injury problems this season and has played some but not as much as might have been expected.

Obviously, injury and age are both factors with Carla Overbeck.

UNC alums who I think either start or play a fair amount are Cindy Parlow, Staci Wilson, Tisha Venturini, Keri Sanchez, Tiffany Roberts, Tracey (Noonan) Ducar, Siri Mullinix, Rebekah McDowell, Kristine Lilly, Jena Kluegel, Mia Hamm, Nel Fettig, Lori Fair, Sarah Dacey.

Kalli Kamholz mainly sat on the bench last year and the same may be true this year with Boston.

Shelley Finger is listed on San Diego's roster -- I guess she is now the back up GK?

Kristine DePlatchet and Anne Remy are reserves for the Atlanta Beat.

Raven McDowell was with a club last season but was dropped.

Have I left anyone out?

[Later] Oh yeah, Debbie Keller. She did not try out for the WUSA.

9. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    2002 season preview

Hey sports fans, it's out!

The first preview of UNC's women's soccer season has been posted on the Heeligan site. Maybe it's not Street & Smith, but it is about our team. If some of it sounds vaguely familiar, it's because it comes from the same source as these posts on BigSoccer, good old SDM*.

How does the Heeligan site feel about the upcoming season? It expects to have another love affair with a powerhouse team. If you're looking for an even-handed critique, you need to wait on Street & Smith, but if you love the Tar Heels, you may enjoy it.

10. RD

RD New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    NC
    All-ACC team

I was just reviewing the ACC women's all-time soccer team. Why no Linda Hamilton? She was a terrific player (3 years at NCSU and 1 year at UNC). I believe she was on both the 1991 and 1995 World Cup teams. Does anyone else see glaring oversights?

11. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Amy Steadman injured?

I was following the US U-19 game on MatchTracker and read that Amy Steadman had gone down on the field during the first half against England, leaving the game. Does anyone here know whether her injury was serious? I know she had recently recovered from an ACL tear.... Appreciate any info!

12. beenaround

beenaround New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    MRI TOMORROW

13. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks

Thanks Beenaround. Hope she's ok!!!

14. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I just read that she tore the right ACL. That is such a shame.

15. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Kareena, what paper or website did you find this article? I dont remember if she tore her right or left in November. She has to be distraught.

16. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Raven McDonald... :)

17. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here is an article about Steadman tearing her ACL.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=20709&itype=

18. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Yes US Soccer. She must be devastated. It is interesting that it hasn't even been a year since the first one--I thought they were a little more stringent in terms of down time.

19. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  20. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC 4-Notre Dame 2

Carolina won its exhibition with Notre Dame last night, 4-2. Goals by Alyssa, Cat, and Susan, plus a Notre Dame own goal.

Link

21. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC 4-Notre Dame 2

There's another post on this match in another thread that gives some more details:

Link

Thanks, MoHeelFan!

22. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    One more link to the ND game

This link is to the TarHeelBlue site and contains pretty much the same info as the link above to the Notre Dame site, only with emphasis on our players and our upcoming contests.

Link

23. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Cat Reddick gets preseason honor

Congratulations to Catherine Reddick, just named to the Soccer Buzz preseason All-American team.

Link

Tar Heel fans may be asking, where are the others? Where's Susan Bush and where's Jenni Branam? Where's Leslie Gaston? And how can they ignore Alyssa Ramsey? By the season's end, I predict more UNC names will be on the honor squads.

24. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Where where Annie Morrel and Elizabeth Ball at ND?

25. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Future Heels continue to shine in U-19 tournament.

Incoming freshman Lindsey Tarpley had a goal and an assist and committed prep player Heather O'Reilly had two goals and two assists in the American U-19 team's 6-0 victory over Canada in the quarterfinals of the World U-19 tournament. We had other future players in the game too, but I haven't found a good, detailed article on the match. This is from Soccer Times:

Link