UNC-G v. College of Charleston (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Mikey mouse, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still 0-0 in around the 35 min. Both sides have seem to had chances

2. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Just got back, UNCG played fantastic defense. Coastal only goal was a miscue on the part of a UNCG defender that deflected into the goal.

CofC had several good chances though, the really rainy conditions hindered a couple of them.

So whose next? UCSB?

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been fun following CofC this season. Hopefully someone iwll notice a couple of the players on this team and give them a shoot at the pros. Lundy also needs to be commended on building a good "team"

Congrats to UNC-G, bringing it home for the Southern Conference!

Mikey

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to UNCG, it sounded like an exciting match over the webcast.

I think we may see the Cougs central defender Drew Cavanagh wearing a Battery shirt next spring.

6. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004

Guys, the thing that pisses me off, is that you guys should not have been put in the same bracket as UNCG. It is sad really, the selection committee didn't want 2 Socon teams in the third round, so they did this.

Only one of us could advance, and that stinks. CofC is a really good team, now we need to focus on UW-Milwaukee or UCSB. Either way it's gonna be another tough home game, with the winner facing Wake at Wake.

What a reward for the winner!!!

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Troy Lesesne or Ben Hollingsworth in a Battery shirt. I know the Battery staff was at a couple of the games I attended, didn't look like they were officially scouting (not clip board) but they were definately paying attention.

I agree about the way the bracket was set up but if CofC made it through USC, UNCG and UCSB and Wake Forest, no one could claim it was a fluke. CofC is a good team and worked well together and for each other.

Mikey

8. delshaffer

delshaffer New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Mikey mouse,
    I made the trip up there with two former CofC players. It was a great game even though we lost. UNC-G turned out to be everything I had heard about them. They played very well together. We had a tough time getting through their defense. They were a very well coached team. Every time we attacked or counter-attacked, they had their whole midfield behind the ball. The only breakaway was the one where we scored off the deflection. I must say that UNC-G's two goald were awesome. The first one was a bullet from the 18 yard box and the second one was Randi Patterson's work beating the whole defense. Once Patterson flicked the ball in the air to set it up, the defense should have shut him down. Ben Hollingsworth got the ball one on one against the keeper but couldn't put it away. It may have been because of his hamstring. Drew Cavanaugh played amazing though. He will definitely be playing in the A-League or higher.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the notes delshaffer.

I only really started watching CofC this season ith the absent of Battery soccer but was entertained. The cougars have a nice little stadium and deffinately will check out matches their again next season.

Funny Charleston has two or three high quality soccer pitches suitable for Div 1 and other teams, yet other cities seem to struggle to find one for their teams.

Mikey