UNC Basketball Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Fulhamfc3, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    A thread for one of the best teams in College Basketball North Carolina.

2. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    THE best team in college basketball!

Huge win over Kentucky. Decent wins over Iowa, Indiana. Cannot wait until ACC play begins.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Pissed me off yesterday. I turn on CBS at noon to watch my Heels take on UK. Instead, I get Indiana at UConn. Who the hell cares about them?

Still, it's great to see Rashad McCants coming into his own.

4. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Indeed. Now we just need to get Felton's wrist healthy before ACC play begins.

5. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Great win against Kentucky. Beat a top 10 team by 13 thats great.

6. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Yeah, that was huge. Jumping out to an 18 point lead early always helps.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about me? I got stuck with the Michigan game.

8. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    This is the best Carolina team in about 10 years. Or maybe the mid-late 90's teams were better with Jamison,Carter,Wallace etc etc.They have possibly the best starting 5 and now they have a deep team which was a real problem last year.

9. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I do not think there has been any doubt that this group of players has talent, but they just do not seem to put it all together when it counts. Perhaps this year will be different. On paper, they have the best team in then country in my mind. I hope they can right the ship in Chapel Hill and buy into Roy Williams' philosophies. We will see.

10. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I think UNC will be awfully strong going into the NCAA tourney. They have a BRUTAL schedule because the ACC is so strong this year. They will be battle tested, that is for sure.

I think they have begun to buy into Roy's system. Slowly, but surely. Even Sean May is running the floor hard.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    No Virginia (Tech), there is no Santa Claus. But welcome to ACC anyway.

12. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Carolina is now 12-1. They have been winning by about 35 a game the last 3 games.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Sure, but lest we forget, our opponents since Kentucky have been Loyola-Chicago, Venereal Tech, Vermont, UNC Wilmington, Cleveland State and William & Mary. Not exactly Final Four material there.

Personally, I'm a little nervous going into ACC play and I don't particularly enjoy watching my team rack up wins against cupcakes, especially if the lack of seasoning ends up hurting us in March. Hopefully, the conference sked takes care of that and maybe we are pretty decent, but the 12-1 record doesn't really tell us a whole lot.

14. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    UNC played good teams in the beginning of the season. Iowa,Kentucky etc etc. Going into the ACC UNC maybe should of played someone like UNLV,Oregon. Not a big time school but, a team that could keep the game to 10-20 points.

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    UNC absolutely blitzes my Terps 109-75..

well deserved as they controlled from start to finish.. As a Terp fan, this was perhaps the worst defensive performance I've ever seen from a Maryland team.. Even early in the Gary Williams regime when the Terps would only win 1 league game all season long they played with more intensity and heart..

Congrats Heels fans as you thoroughly whooped our arses..

16. VivaPortugal

VivaPortugal New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Maryland, USA

Yup...that was horrible. Starting the second half giving up 4 three-point plays in a matter of about 2 minutes?? Where was the defense the whole game? This was a brand new terps team for me.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't believe in statement games, but it was still nice to see my team get business done against a strong conference opponent.

One game at a time.

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The signs are good. I'm especially hopeful about this teams capacity to play scary defense. I've missed it bad since Dean left.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was fun to watch. Really just a shock. If only the rest of the season were going to go like that.

20. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    North Carolina now has the depth to do great things in the Conference.I mean Terry had what 10 points.Thomas had some points and played well. Thne you got Marvin Williams. Juwad Williams is the 4th best player on Carolina and is one of the best players in the ACC.Carolina is right now the best team in College Basketball Illinois is a great team but, Carolina could probably beat them. I mean this team just beat the 21st best team in the Country by 34 points and had a good 42 point lead. This game was tied at 32.

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I found an interview with one of my favorite former Tar Heels and Georgia international, Shammond Williams. It's an interesting read, and not just because of the English-to-Russian-back-to-English translation: Shammond in Kazan

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Great find and I agree with you about Shammond, who always seemed ready to step up when we needed somebody.

23. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Forte or Why the NBA is not for kids

A McDonald's All-American at DeMatha and later a first-round pick by the Boston Celtics in the 2001 NBA draft, Forte designed his entire life for NBA success -- then threw away his chance in two tabloid-worthy seasons.

In two seasons in the NBA, Forte showed up late for a half-dozen practices and violated dress code at least three times. After losses, he sometimes angered coaches by singing carelessly in the shower. He antagonized teammates until one attacked him; he frustrated general managers until two discarded him.

"I was a 20-year-old kid with a lot of money and a lot of responsibility," said Forte, now 23. "I mean, I was used to being cared for, and all of a sudden I'm keeping my mom on a budget. It was too much too soon, and I just couldn't handle it."

"As a player, there's no question he was ready to leave school," Wootten said. "He could not have had a better season than his sophomore year at North Carolina. The tougher question is: 'As a person, was he mature enough for the NBA?' "

Forte played in eight games during the 2001-02 season for a total of 39 minutes, and he let out his frustration in tantrums. He showed up late for three consecutive practices; he watched games on the locker room television instead of from the bench; he wore a Magic Johnson jersey, that of the Los Angeles Lakers, the Celtics' biggest rival, to a pregame meeting.

Five weeks into the season, he fired his agent, Jeff Austin, for failing to convince the Celtics to give Forte playing time. "He blamed a lot of people for why he wasn't playing," Austin said. "But he was the only person who could have done more to get himself on the floor."

Before a game against the Michael Jordan-led Washington Wizards on March 26, 2003, Forte walked into Seattle's locker room wearing a Jordan jersey. When a teammate asked him why he was wearing an opponent's jersey, Forte responded, "Man, I love the Wizards."

An entire locker room glared.

Forte did not play and the Sonics lost the game, 80-74. Afterward, in a shower filled with downtrodden teammates, Forte sang gleefully until 7-foot-1 center Jerome James attacked him. Teammates broke up the fight.

"My whole life, I had people looking out for me," Forte said. "At DeMatha I had Coach Wootten, and at North Carolina I had Coach Guthridge. Those guys took me under their watch, man. They made sure I did everything right.
    "Then in the NBA, I didn't have anybody watching me. I had to make my own decisions, and I guess I wasn't totally ready for that."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...ml?nav=hcmodule

24. VivaPortugal

VivaPortugal New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Re: Joe Forte or Why the NBA is not for kids

He went to DeMatha??? :eek: I know where that is! lol.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Joe Forte or Why the NBA is not for kids

Raymond Felton looks gimpy right now - that's never good. The shooting is awful right now. At least they're playing defense.