UNC 2023

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 8, 2022.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aleigh Gambone was the last question mark and she's announced on IG that's she's moving on.

2. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Stanford is the school for getting on USWNT now. UNC is not doing well there anymore.

3. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    Comments from current teammates confirm Emily’s departure.

4. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    When people troll about UNC

[​IMG]

whatagoodball, 2233soccer and UNCleNutsy repped this.
  5. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Is there more annoying narrative than Anson hasn't won NCAA title in years?

He doesn't need to win another one.

2233soccer and UNCleNutsy repped this.
  6. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree. It is mindblowing to walk around in the conference room where they are all lined up - wall to wall trophies

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone remind me what the NCAA rules are for players who have eligibility remaining, declare for the draft, but then do not get drafted.

I'm looking at Maggie Pierce and I'm a little confused by the timing of her post announcing she's leaving UNC... after the draft. Maybe I'm looking too much into it and she just hadn't posted her farewell yet and timing was irrelevant, drafted or not.

8. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019

babranski repped this.
  9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 babranski, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #85 Soccerhunter, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Babs, Your analysis of next year's UNC team is the way I see it too.

As I indicated before, I am hopeful that Izzy Cox and Julia Dorsey can engineer coming back next year as 5th year seniors. I see Izzy as a good fit in the offense if she platoons with Maddie Dahlien. Julia might be interested in another crack at the NCAA title and she, along with Maycee would be the leadership on defense with the rest of defense largely being first or second year players

Next year's lineup....

Keepers: It should be a real contest to see who gets playing time. Abby Gundry and Nona Reason have the better pedigrees, but Emmie Allen played well this past year. I see all three keeper getting significant time early in the season with one of them grabbing the starting slot by mid season. It's going to be a real contest.

Defense: We should have a very good defense next fall. Maycee should be the leader, and Kayleigh Herr and Tessa Delarose should come on strong. Add two very strong first year defenders, Savannah King and Evelyn Shores could easily start.

11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King played a lot of left side back with the USWNT and if you were to ask me the one position the Heels have the most depth at, it's left side wide backs. Dellarose, Elgin, and Tolentino. I don't know if she has any experience there but it wouldn't surprise me to see her used more as a forward winger, that is one of those spots that will be up for grab in the offsdeas and pre-season training.

Right now the starting 11 for me, with what little insight I have about the new comers and also leaving the unknown Senior decisions off for now:

Reason and Allen rotate in goal, Herr and Bell at CB with Dellarose and Elgin at outside back.
    Colton at the #6, anchoring Dellaperuta and Meza at the 10 and 8 respectively.
    Sentnor between Patterson on the left and Dahlien on the right.

In that starting 11 it's Bell, Dellaperuta, Meza, Patterson, and Sentnor who are iron clad starters, and those names should also start the season in the top 50 players in the country (or I riot).

I would not be surprised if some of the highly rated newcomers wins spots in CB, the #6, and the winger spot away from Herr, Colton, and Dahlien, respectively.

Really want to see some growth from Colton this offseason ... with all the skill she clearly has it just doesn't make sense that she's pretty much the same as she has been from her first game in a Tar Heel uniform. It's been good enough up to this point to be a starter, but now the competition is top heavy. That will be especially true if Cox and Moore decide to return.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    (Got cut off).......

So we will be in good shape with the "knowns" on defense, and we have other "knowns" such as Emily MoxleyEmerson Elgin who played very well this past year and we still have other defender, Sydney Cheesman who, while not getting much playing time this past year, might blossom next fall. Even if Emily Moxley went back to her original more offensive role, but the bottom line is that we sure do have a robust defensive line up in case we have another season with multiple season ending injuries.

Midfield: We Should be strong in the midfield with Sam Mesa, Avery Patterson, Talia Dellaperuta, and Emily Colton coming back, but we will miss Libby Moore. Emily Moxley could be the 4th and other midfielders such as Bella Sember, Lauren Wrigley, Kate Fasse, and Page Tolentino could surprise and find themselves in the starting lineup. I would also not be surprised if some of the stellar incoming forwards would find a home in the midfield.

Offense: These next two years could be terrific given the talent we will have. Coming into the 2023 season we are luck to have Ally Sentnor, Maddie Dahlien, and Tori DellaPeruta (not to mention Talia who just might play forward too). And so we will add freshman such as Melina Rebimbas who is one of the top 5 forwards in her age group, and Chapel Hill native Mia Olario (whose dad works in the athletic department at UNC), plus Olivia Thomas who are not far behind...if that. To put it bluntly, the three sophomores could easily be the starters, but the three freshmen might be even better. It will be interesting to see how the UNC staff manages this talent.

babranski repped this.
  13. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    I think it’s also possible that someone like Evelyn Shores plays some mid. She scored a lot of goals (as a back) playing for Tophat. She also had high assist #s. But, to be sure, I haven’t seen her play so I’m only looking at #s.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  14. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Member

Leeds
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    She has a lot of pace and is relatively tall. She's an outside back, a wing back, or even a winger. She's an outside back for USYNTs. She scores goals for Top Hat because she plays some winger on that team due to team needs and competition level. She's a very strong player and should get lots of PT...somewhere.

Soccerhunter and UNCleNutsy repped this.
  15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. tjabba92

tjabba92 Member

Arsenal
    Sweden
    Jan 12, 2022
    I follow BK Häcken (Gothenburg, Sweden) and Aleigh Gambone as well as Ruby Grant are listed as part of the squad for tommorrow's pre-season match against Alingsås. Link to article (in Swedish):

https://bkhacken.se/nyhet/hanna-wijk-om-2023-prestera-pa-min-basta-niva

Neither have been announced as recruits and neither show up on the club's normal squad list...

Val1 repped this.
  17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find! I don't know enough about the rules of eligibility to know if that absolutely rules out Ruby Grant returning.

Separately, Libby Moore announced on IG she's moving on. Libby Moore is going to be the bar which I measure all other players in off season and season to season improvement. She went from practice player that got no time to an essential starter in midfield on a team that dramatically shortened its bench in a championship game, and did so seemingly from one season to the next. Will be missed.

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    From what I gather from the post above, this looks like a tryout at a non-conference pre-season game. Great if Aleigh makes the cut (Gothenburg is a wonderful and friendly city), but I have mixed feelings if Ruby also is invited to sign a contract in terms of her returning to Chapel Hill. But it would make sense if she is eyeing the talent coming in for the next two years and feels that this is the time to make a move.

In this line of thinking, does anyone know what Murph was referring to when she posted that she would dearly miss the Heels and would be a "Tarheel forever", but was "over the moon" regarding her next opportunity...what would that be?

19. tjabba92

tjabba92 Member

Arsenal
    Sweden
    Jan 12, 2022
    I don't think they risk any eligiblity for the moment. Alice Söndergaard, a Häcken academy player, was in the line-up for several of Häckens damallsvenska matches 2021 as well as a Champions League match against Benifica. And these were not friendly matches. She is now at Washington (Huskies).

20. tjabba92

tjabba92 Member

Arsenal
    Sweden
    Jan 12, 2022
    Here's the low down on Ruby Grant (roughly translated from fotbollskanalen.se):

In the past week, two players from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have trained with BK Häcken, including Ruby Grant.

The English girl is in the squad that will face Alingsås IF on Friday.

Fotbollskanalen has learned that Grant, who continues to attend college in the United States, will spend some time in Sweden as an apprentice with BK Häcken's team. On the other hand, the 20-year-old will not play any women's top league matches, but will play in matches in the elite league (second highest league).

The midfielder will continue to study in Gothenburg in the meantime. Grant has also represented the England national team at youth level.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The 2023 recruiting class for UNC is all set (although there is always a possibility that a late signing will occur.)

With regard to the 2024 class, there were 7 commitments until Taylor Suarez, who had committed UNC last September , switched to FSU in early January. (A good choice for FSU as Taylor is an excellent soccer athlete who, having finished her U17 play as a starter for most games, has been called up to the U18/19 camp and will likely be on the U20 roster next year.) With Taylor's departure I had wondered if Anson would be biding his time to look for a good international to be added next summer, but as of yesterday it appears that Linda Ullmark from Buffalo, NY has filled the slot. She looks like she may be one of those recruits that may have potential that she has not yet developed. She has done very well as a high school player in a small private school (several 10-0, 7-0 victories) but minimal mention in the ECNL arena (invited to a showcase this weekend.) We'll see!

22. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    UNC Spring Schedule

2023 UNC Women's Soccer Spring Schedule
    Feb. 25 at Wake Forest (6:30 p.m.)
    March 4 vs. Duke (12 p.m.)
    April 1 at Virginia (3 p.m.)
    April 15 vs. Clemson (3 p.m.)

Al games will be on Saturdays. The home games (Duke and Clemson) will be on Finley Field. The 4 ACC teams will provide some good competition.

Looking forward to see who is developing.

babranski repped this.
  23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    During these college soccer fan doldrums, I am always looking for news of changes, prospective recruits, and other factors for teams and players. Such starvation of real experience of watching games leads to foggy thinking.

.....Such as looking at the 2023 class coming in for UNC and comparing it to the prospectives for 2024 who have verbally committed. Now looking at the 2023 the class, it is heavy on forwards. Of the seven freshmen coming in there are 4 forwards, 2 defenders and 1 keeper. So looking at the present midfielders on the roster, I see 3 midfielders who have regularly started this past season who will be back for 2023. This means that there will be some juggling to see who will rise to the occasion to start (and/or will be converted from a forward.) It will, of course be figured out for this fall and will be interesting to see how it evolves.

And it gets interesting in 2024 as there are 4 players who have committed who are midfielders. (Well duh! If the three senior midfielders who will be playing this fall decide not to take the COVID 5th year, recruiting a package of midfielders for 2024 really makes sense.)

And so it goes in the doldrums... discovering things that sharper intelligence has long ago figured out. Yawn. Can't wait to actually enjoy watching play on the pitch!

24. Fan O' Soccer

Fan O' Soccer New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Nov 18, 2022
    Please continue to post your thoughts. They make for pleasant reading in these game-less times.

UNCleNutsy, babranski and Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on the Spring Schedule from UNC. The April 1st game against UVA has been moved to 3/25 and it's in Richmond now, which makes a big difference for travel imo. Now I'm much more likely to go.

The game vs Duke on 3/4 has been cancelled. Bummer. Hopefully they find someone else to scrimmage against.

Looking forward to this Friday with memories of the bitter cold and wind from last years first spring season game. Game at Spry looks like it should be a little bit warmer.

Klingo3034 repped this.