UNC 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Nov 13, 2021.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's another thing I've noticed about the play ... if you compare the officials positioning on that corner with that of other corners at other times during the game, it was completely different, even in OT. A UCLA corner with 26 left in regulation saw her on the 18 leaning in watching for contact. On the corner that was reviewed by VAR in OT, she's closer, well inside the 18, and in both instances she's fully engaged in trying to see through the crowd.

A stark contrast to the final corner of regulation, where she's standing yards outside the 18 and just ... "there" ... her body language screaming "what will be will be".

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    If i read the article on VAR correctly, the error the referee made was not blowing the whistle and then using VAR to confirm or change the decision. Perhaps she did not understand how VAR can be used.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Eddie K is a major league idiot. You keep countering arguments that no one is making. Uh yes, I think it was obvious in real time. The keeper was knocked 5 feet into the goal. It’s not subtle. Teaching kids? What in the world are you talking about? It’s a soccer forum. I have to say that of all the idiot behavior I have seen of trolls coming on fan pages, you are the worst. And it doesn’t take VAR to see THAT. Please find something in life that makes your soul sing. It surely can’t be degrading dedicated fans after their team got robbed of a title.

4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    This is UNC fans thread. Why are you here policing this? It is so bizarre. Let them bitch all they want. They got a bad deal. This has nothing to do with kids. I doubt they are here. Unbelievable twist on my message.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    This is not a "fans only" thread. There's no such thing. Not on BS.
    Why are you policing me on this thread? Why are you here?

I've made it clear why I'm here.The constant excuse making and attacks on this official are awful for any fans of any team. Especially those of UNC. And if it continues, I'm going to continue to defend this official.
    @uncchamps2012 has now resorted to name calling. and that's not being a troll right?

Knocked 5 feet into the goal?? What?
    Complaining constantly about the officials after you lose a game sets a poor example for kids for adults, for everyone associated with the game.
    Even if it was clear after multiple goal cams that she made an error in judgement, what do you gain by constantly complaining about it?? Really? You think its some kind of justice to call out this official? She did her job. You didn't get the call. Human judgements are part of the game. Have some class and let it go.

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am here because I am interested in UNC fans conversation about the game. I only engaged with you because you replied to my post. You show some class and let these people have their opinions. Going to put you on ignore.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Not one single time have I criticized this person as an individual. I have not even referred to the official. Just the call. . Something is seriously off about you. Settling an example for kids. What? It’s; a chat board. I would block you , but I find your stupidity fascinating and a little entertaining.

8. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    My fellow UNC fans, it’s time to stop. Stop reviewing the video; stop blaming the referee for losing a 2-0 lead in ten minutes; stop insulting everyone who disagrees with you. The game’s over, it’s not going to change, that’s what happens, sometimes calls go your way and sometimes they don’t. The players and coaches were gracious in defeat; one would wish their fans would handle it as well.

AnsonBlonde repped this.
  9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #609 babranski, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    we have a new thread up and have been discussing the future for almost a week now. There are going to be lingering posts about the call on this thread and it's completely natural.

I understand and have been one of those fans to counter arguments against other fans about bad officiating, but usually I've done so when the call was actually correct and people complaining about it are arguing for something that's contrary to the rule book.

I really don't think it's appropriate to tell others what to move on from, especially if there is merit to their argument that is supported by the rule book. This is something that UNC fans will have a right to be upset about and reference for a long, long time.

Just look, for example, at the UVA thread and what they were talking about after the game. A series of posts about how Brianna Pinto apparently didn't have a right to complain about officials because of a non-call on a 50/50 collision with Ivory that happened *three years ago* ...

ACC Soccer Fan 19 and ytrs repped this.
  10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't mind me, I'm just laying back with a bag of popcorn. :coffee:

11. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    babranski, uncchamps2012 already agreed on the great idea of issuing the Heels special paper “championship rings!” Why not just leave it at that? UCLA has the trophy and, unless you’re successful in petitioning the NCAA in taking it back, isn’t it time to move on? The game official made a call you disagree with. Live with it!

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh look, more non-UNC fans with opinions, one even made a brand new account and everything just to tell UNC fans to move on!

Something far more wrong with you than there is with me with that kind of effort ...

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Babs for President

Heeligan2 repped this.
  14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not even three weeks out from one of the most consequential officiating decisions this sport has seen in God knows how long... if not ever. STOP. TELLING. US. TO. MOVE. ON.

A lot of reply folks in this thread are suggesting that we are complaining because we expect the NCAA to reverse the decision or take away UCLA's championship or something dramatic and ... no ... that's not what this is about and I really haven't seen anybody making those insinuations beyond the reply folks. The most I suspect any UNC fan can reasonably expect is a rule change of some sort, perhaps added protections to the goalkeeper reinforced somehow by video review.

... listen I'll make everybody a deal ... at some point over the Christmas break I'll sit down and watch the game again and make a nice big thread of gifs that will tie UNC 2022 into a nice bow. I'll talk about the team, the players, the seniors, some of the tactics we saw, and yes, the officiating in this game.

... and then that will be it. No more complaining about UNC 2022 and we can move on...

Deal?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Why are these peopl so interested in this ? I really don't get it. It's seems a bit pathological actually . We are just talking about a soccer game. We've all moved on with our lives. People have been talking about the 1966 World Cup final for a long time

Heeligan2 and ytrs repped this.
  16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I reserve the right to complain about it for the rest of my days. I also find it absolutely fascinating how much it bothers these people, especially the guy who thinks we are teaching children not to move on ftom losses . Are there any children on this forum who came here to learn life lessons ? If so , I apologize.

Heeligan2, ytrs and Tally T repped this.
  17. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    No, it’s not just non-UNC fans. I’m a long-time Carolina fan — maybe decades longer than you — and cannot see the point in continuing to complain about the failure to call a foul. You have a history of informative and insightful posts about UNC soccer, but all that you are accomplishing now is to make Tar Heel fans look like poor losers. And when someone says, okay, enough, let’s stop, all they get is a response like “something far more wrong with you.” It’s tiresome.

18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you make it seem like we're throwing hissy fits and making demands. The reply "something far more wrong with you" is relevant and will remain relevant because the only people making demands and repeatedly dodging the topic at hand are the ones telling others what we can and can't post and demanding we move on.

I *intensely* dislike this & could care less how tiresome it gets to others... you or anybody else, regardless of team affiliation, has no right to tell other posters what they can and can't post about, what they can and can't be upset about, and when they can and can't move on from what they're upset about.

The mute function exists if it bothers you that much, and you even got a clear cut time frame from me in a recent post where I promise I will no longer post about it. Mute me until the new year if you don't want to hear me talk about it anymore and bobs your uncle.

Heeligan2 and ACC Soccer Fan 19 repped this.
  19. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    No one has been dodging the topic. It has been discussed ad nauseam, that’s the problem. Nor is anyone telling you what you can and cannot post. If that were the case, then, wow, we’ve been hugely ineffective, we sure haven’t been able to stop anything. What we’re telling you is that you keep going on and on about the same thing, you’re not changing anyone’s mind, and that all you are achieving now is making UNC fans look like whiny, poor losers. The lame insults to everyone who disagrees with you don’t help.

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We're going in circles, Bosco. Nobody has talked about the play or the game since Thursday since there was a discussion about the officials positioning. The only discussion since then have been reply folks coming onto this thread demanding we give it up and some of us say no and that we have the right to post whatever we want.

It seems to me if folks like you didn't come onto the thread making demands of what people posted and when they should move on, we wouldn't actually be talking about this since Thursday.

21. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Someone please tell me a more consequential call in the history of the women’s college cup. Let’s put aside opinions on this one. Just for fun, who can come up with a more consequential call in history?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall Florida State fans making a claim about a non-PK call against Santa Clara. In Spring 2020, I think.

Of course, debates about which call was more consequential than another call are pretty far fetched.

23. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Correct. Clara Robbins was taken down in the box in the first half. It was a pretty clear penalty (Julie Foudy said that it was penalty in real time and also said that it was a penalty after seeing the replay) but the ref missed it. FSU would go on to lose in PKs.

I think that foul against Clara was more clear than the push against Emmie. However, I'm not sure that it was more consequential. The foul against Emmie would have definitely denied UCLA a goal and although time was left on the clock it would have almost certainly resulted in a UNC win. In FSU's case the Noles would have almost certainly sent Jaelin Howell to the spot to take the kick had the foul been called. Jaelin would have likely delivered but we can't be sure. Also, the foul occurred in the 26th minute. There was plenty of time for Santa Clara to change tactics and equalize although FSU dominated the game.

Therefore, although the non-call in the FSU game will haunt me for a long time I think that the UNC non-call was probably a bit more consequential although it is probably a little less clear that the foul should have been called in the UNC game.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  24. Tally T

Tally T Member

philly
    United States
    Sep 16, 2019
    Anyway you can decide for yourself. The foul happens with about 19 minutes left in the first half.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I feel the pain of UNC.
    I thought it was a foul based on my observations of protecting the keeper over the years, but I'm no rules guru and have been known to be wrong many times.
    That said I sent a clip of it to my son-in-law who is a huge USMNT and Premier league fan, as well as, former high school player. He has no dog in the fight as he has degrees from BYU and UK.
    He called me and said it was a clear foul!
    He has no bias, but alas he could be wrong. Put me in the category of UNC got robbed in the most heart breaking way possible!
    If I were an UNC fan, I wouldn't let it go easily. Each to his own.