UNC 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Nov 13, 2021.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing at all what you posted in this in reply has any bearing whatsoever on whether or not a foul should have been called in the rule book. It's all inconsequential, speculation, or jibberish that in no way justifies a player pushing another player like we see in in the replay.

The rule book is the rule book and I'm quoting it directly. You tell me where in the rule book *ANYTHING* that you have written in that word salad of a reply is supported, and I'll concede the point. I'll even link the rule book for you.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/12/2/soccer-rules-of-the-game.aspx

It is incredible to me that people continue to defend this no-call as if it is a justifiable no call and not just something she missed. The rule book is not some inconvenience that you can just ignore when "the corner was just too good" or whataboutism "this team did this or got away with that so it's OK that that team got away with this" or "team A was playing better than team B" or ANYTHING else you've written in that absolute hogwash of a post.

A foul is a foul.

Stop excusing the official!

2. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    No skin in this game, but while you are correct that the GK’s starting position was off, it’s irrelevant. She was more than capable of recovering to get a touch on the ball, but she was obstructed and shoved in her effort to get there. Anyone neutral can see that. In ANY regular season game, that foul is called. The official also should have stopped it before the kick was taken to get the UCLA player off of the Keeper.

Reality is that the ref choked that call and swallowed the whistle on the biggest stage. However, it would have taken a pretty confident ref to make the call in that game and I doubt many would have.

Heeligan2, Soccerhunter and Heeldoc repped this.
  3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #578 Eddie K, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    This post is actually thoughtful. @babranski has clearly had the Kool-Aide (or the mango gummies!)

This statement is a total judgement by you that the official does not have to share:
    "She was more than capable of recovering to get a touch on the ball"

The goalkeeper takes several steps forward and closes the space between her and the blue player. They are locking arms and both backpedal to the ball. There's contact for sure but I would not say "obstructed and shoved". I said before, I think it's 50/50 you get that call but NO Question, how close the ball is, so how influential that player contact was on that play, is a big factor.

I hope no one is going to try to say that officials do not factor how influential the contact is between players in making a call. You would get a call every time players came together! Have you ever watched college soccer?? Players are banging into each other all the time! Some coaches do scream for fouls on nearly every player contact but CLEARLY the idea of "incidental" contact between players or equal force applied between players going for the ball, or competing for positioning, is a factor in the officials decision.

I've had refs who don't make a call on any physical contact unless someone goes to ground or just gets clearly shirt pulled or something. "No blood, no foul" I assume is something you've all heard that is not in any rule book.

Someone in an earlier post here shared this from twitter so there are different takes out there:
    "goalkeeper wasn’t fouled at all. UCLA player has legal positioning in front of her. Then the gk jumped back knocking her own teammate over."

Stop blaming the official already!

4. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    standing on her hands at the 18 trying the fart the ball away....umm, aside from any other consideration, just just funny. wow , that would be an ejection in an American football game for targetting vs sentnor

5. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I agree entirely with babs. I also think it was a phenomenal corner kick. Both can be true. But , it was a foul even if Messi, Ronaldo, Mia Hamm, Crystal Dunn, Pele', Maradona, David Beckham and Tobin Heath somehow simultaneously struck the most beautiful shot over taken.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  6. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Maybe we can issue our Tar Heel players special championship rings made of some fancy high-quality paper!

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #582 babranski, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Found this video online and it really breaks the sequence down from a non-soccer fan. I thought this particular video does a really good job showing how A) the contact against Allen began with an extended arm against her chest well before the ball became playable and B) Allen absolutely had a chance to reach the ball even if she had been allowed to go up for the ball without contact. She practically gets a hand on it anyway.

to reinforce what is being talked about, here is the NCAA Rulebook Page. I would strongly encourage everybody to have access to the new rulebook every year. A lot of y'all have been going off on talking points that have absolutely no basis in reality to the rules of the game.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4646-2022-and-2023-soccer-rules.aspx

The rule as applied to the goal keeper can be found in sections 12.2. One of the things I've found I really appreciate with this rule book are the AR scenario questions following each rule. They had one tailored made for the goalie on corner kicks.

12.2.13 Impeding the progress of an opponent other than holding; or
    12.2.13.1 Impeding is the act, without making physical contact, of
    preventing or attempting to prevent an opponent from access to a ball
    that is not within playing distance of either player.
    Note: If there is physical contact, the offense is punished by a direct free kick or penalty
    kick as appropriate.
    A.R. 12.2.13.1.a. May a player stand in front of the goalkeeper during a corner
    kick without trying to play the ball but merely trying to stop the goalkeeper from
    playing it? RULING: No. Indirect free kick from the point of infraction

it seems like we've really seen this rule being bent to its breaking point in recent years with so many teams loading up the 6 to make it difficult for the goal keeper to maneuver and make a play. I would be surprised and a little frustrated with the NCAA if we don't see this sequence lead to a point of emphasis on corners to break this trend. It's not good soccer.

8. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    The players and Coach Dorrance have too much class to whine about it incessantly. But can we say the same for some on this thread?

9. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I don't know about rule books, but it's my Constitutional right as an American sports fan to whine incessantly, under God!

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    @babranski

When the real UNC fans tell you to give it up, maybe you should give it up.

Work your way up the referee ladder and get these good games if you really love officiating so much! Then you can laugh at people like you when they try to use video DAYS later to dissect the decisions you make publicly.

And are still WRONG!

Stop blaming the officials already!

11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've come to believe that persistence of being upset on behalf of the team one cheers for is far more natural and far less annoying than the persistence of fans of other teams or fans that hate your team telling you to stop being upset. Telling you you are wrong without reason or receipts. Telling you move on already not even a week after.

What I'm doing is far more common and far less a symptom of a problem than what you're doing by constantly replying to me and others who express legitimate frustration of a problem, receipts or not.

if you have nothing to reply with but logical fallacies and the repeated "your wrongs" with ever more capitol letters, I think you need to re-evaluate *who* in this conversation needs to move on "already".

Heeligan2 and UNCleNutsy repped this.
  12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    It’s Simple Bro!

stop blaming the official already!

AnsonBlonde repped this.
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or else ... what? Who are you and who gave you the keys to the UNC soccer thread to make demands of other UNC fans of what we can and can't post about?

Personally it feels like you and a couple others are less interested in conversation and more interested in antagonizing and mocking UNC fans who are hurting. Fans who are hurting less than a week out from a devastating loss where it is still perfectly reasonable to expect fans to express frustration if nothing else as a coping mechanism.

The fact that you are so unwilling to give UNC fans time to vent and breathe and settle on our own speaks to something a hell of a lot more wrong with *you* than it does with me and anybody else being angry about a no call that cost UNC a championship *a WEEK ago*.

If you've got nothing else to add to the conversation beyond "YOUR WRONG" and "STOP BLAMING THE OFFICIAL", over and over like a child throwing a temper tantrum, I'm just gonna mute you. I intensly dislike muting WoSo College fans because there are so few of us, but one can hardley call you a "fan" based on your behavior. More like an anti-fan.

Simultaneously, if you are so upset about me repeatedly talking about officials and rules and how it impacts the game then perhaps you should mute me as well? It seems like it would have saved you a headache...

... but lets be honest here, you're enjoying yourself and laughing at us.

Good bye, Eddie K.

14. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Oh, give us a little bit longer to vent, it’s only been a week and it is a pretty tough pill to swallow. We’re starting to realize that the NCAA is not going to change the score, but we may hold out hope a few days more.

And, once again, congrats to UCLA. They hung in there, didn’t give up, they were rewarded for their effort and should feel on top of the world.

Dorrance has been consistently good about losses, always seems able to compliment the other team, avoids finding others to blame. He seems to understand the cruel nature of the game as well as anyone.

Heeligan2 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    In my book, babs has earned the right to talk about whatever he wants. I've often leaned on his live tweets for info on games and his comments here are always thoughtful. I very much agree with the take that it is more normal to vent about perceived injustice in a loss than to vent about others venting about a perceived injustice in a loss. This was truly a game deciding call. You don't have to extrapolate anything else about it other than that they would have kicked the ball past midfield on the free kick and the game would have ended. It's not "if that call was made, then this would have happened and this would have happened." If the call was made, UNC wins the NCAA title. It's a big deal. did UCLA completely outplay UNC for the last 10 min of regulation and both OTs? Yes. But, UNC still should have won the NCAA title when this call is properly made.

I think there is a certain unwritten , but generally well followed etiquette about coming onto the forum of a team you don't support. Tom81 understands it. cpthomas understands it. Many others do. If you want to just come on a forum to provoke UNC fans, maybe go to one that is more general about the NCAA tournament. You don't see UNC fans (generally speaking) going on other teams' forums behaving like this. I'll admit that I did some years back, but a kind person explained this to me, so I stopped. I hope you take my advice. I guess there's just something about those 21 NCAA championships that make a certain kind of fan want to come on here and dance on the graves of UNC fans after a tough loss. I've witnessed my favorite UNC team win 4 NCAA championships in person (2006, 2008, 2009, 2012). That's a small minority of the titles UNC has won, but still more than a fan of any other team could have experienced. Even in the 10 seasons since UNC's last NCAA title, they have been to 5 College Cups, including 3 NCAA finals, a record that all but perhaps 2-3 teams nationally would have loved to have had.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  16. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a callous and unnecessary approach to UNCs victory over FSU. I apologize for the posts, they were uncalled for. I am a life long FSU fan, and I simply got caught up in the heat of defeat. I respect all of my fellow posters and I hope yall can forgive my reckless transgressions.

17. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks, that was a hard thing to do. Let’s move on.

Heeligan2 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Brazo! I've been there. Good to own up to it. FSU is a great team.

Soccerhunter and Heeldoc repped this.
  19. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I don't see how any reasonable person could watch this video and analysis and not see this as a clear foul. I also am now having a hard time seeing #15's actions as just typical fighting for position. So much happens before the ball is even close and she was not herself going for the ball at all. This was a clear attempt to take the GK out of the play.

Heeligan2 and ytrs repped this.
  20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I don't see how any reasonable person could think that an official from her angle at real game speed with no VAR available could make EVERY call in a game like this accurately, INCLUDING this goal line call.

You UNC fans are on here talking about a camera angle that is impossible for a human to even achieve!

I've said from the start, its a 50-50 call. These calls are made and not made ALL THE TIME! Even in big games. Are you watching the World Cup?? There hasn't been any contact on any corner kicks that wasn't called the way you wanted it to be.... right?? Even with VAR.

The point again is - human judgement by human officials with only 2 eyes make decisions in real game time that very often could be judged to have gone 'either way'. Sometimes you have to score 3 goals in soccer to score 1 on the scoreboard. You folks act like you don't understand that at all. You don't get to make the calls from the stands, or from the TV, or from the forum with goalcam video weeks later. The official didn't make the call so there was no foul - check the box score if you don't believe me.

My respect for UNC and their coach and their accomplishments remains. The whiners on this forum though...... Can't wait for you to discuss how UNC got screwed this year with your family over the holiday. Just like the VERY MANY more teams that have lost 1-goal games to UNC in their history....but I guess they didn't have goal cam back in the day and a public forum like BS... Enjoy your holiday folks.

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It was a blatant foul, and it was intentional in how she went to restrict the keepers arm movements. Anyone could see in real time that the goalkeeper was shoved. I am not even neutral. I was rooting for UCLA. But, I saw it.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Did you see it in real time from the angle of the center official?

23. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The officials job is to watch the interaction with the keeper. If they missed it, they were not doing their job. Better question for you is why are you policiing the UNC fans and their reaction to what was a blatant foul? Kind of strange behavior on your part.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I have made my views on this one clear in another thread as the etiquette here is not what I thought it was. The team forums have become a place for fans of a specific team to talk about them as opposed to a place for anyone to talk about topics related to that team. That said, i went to see if VAR was or could have been used in this case and found this article

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...snt-what-you-think-in-college-soccer_aid51498

Soccerhunter repped this.
  25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Questioning officials ad naseum after the fact with crazy camera angles shows poor sportsmanship and also an unrealistic view of the reality of competitive sports that have human officials that have a tough job to do.

What are we teaching our kids? When things don't go your way in a big game, get out all the camera angles you can and 'call out' the official? That's a great message. @ytrs coming on here to come at me and reinforce this attack on this official is not unexpected.

Keep bringing your sour grapes to the top of the forum and I'll keep responding and defending this official. She had a pretty good game overall I'd say. If anyone was really concerned about officiating and improving game officiating with video analysis, they would not be posting about it here or on twitter.