umm? wow(MLS final)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by nikefan, Nov 14, 2004.

1. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Because you have made up your mind and you don't want anything that could possibly change it.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That, and at 3-1, they let their foot off the pedal. I give 'em a fifty-fifty shot at getting to 3-1 even if you catch the handball.

3. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Doesn't matter - it's still a call the ref should make, if he sees it. And I think that's the problem: if the Center ref was on the other side of the play -- in other words, behind Eskandarian, he doesn't see whether it strikes his face, hand, mid-section, whatever. The AR nearest to the play can't make the call, either because Esky's body is between him and the play. And the other AR is 80+ yards away on the other diagonal. I'd guess the ref said no call because from his view he saw nothing to call.
    That said, both teams gave a pretty entertaining match, but good golly, Taylor can't finish his breakfast! If he has a job in professional soccer next year, he'll be spending a lot of extra time in front of the nets, because he's never going to forget the nightmare he had last Sunday.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Congrats to DC!

5. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it wouldnt matter if it was 1-nil DC, that would still make us "some sort of offencive juggernaut that KC couldn't hangle" since we would have still WON.

But I digress, we WERE offencive juggernauts against your metros this season, as usual.
    :D

6. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I didnt want to read through the whole thread so I applogize if this has already been posted:

What struck me about the final is with all the parity in the league and how on any given day one team and beat any other team etc......how these two teams looked so completly different.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Because I have just a much capacity to be a wisea$$ as the next guy.

Thank you for playing.

8. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    You take the ability to score against the leagues worst defense as some sort of accomplishment?

Ha!

9. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well sure. Woudlnt you? I mean, after all, we not only shut you out two straight matches, but also scored 4 goals on your boy Walker, all en route to our 4th championship.

C'mon, you guys cant be THAT bad, i mean really, not EVERY team makes the playoffs.

:rolleyes:

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    DC United also had the most goals scored of any team with a half-competent defense over the regular season. DCU averaged 2.5 goals a game during the playoffs. That's a fair definition of 'juggernaut' in my book.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    How about scoring 43 goals in 30 games played, for the second most potent offense in the league?

Code:

GP GF
    MetroStars	 30 47
    D.C. United	 30 43
    Los Angeles Galaxy 30 42
    New England Revolution 30 42
    San Jose Earthquakes 30 41
    Columbus Crew	 30 40
    Kansas City Wizards 30 38
    Chicago Fire	 30 36
    Dallas Burn	 30 34
    Colorado Rapids	 30 29

While giving up 42 goals, for the 6th spot in defense

Code:
    			GP GF
    Kansas City Wizards 30 30
    Columbus Crew	 30 32
    Colorado Rapids	 30 32
    San Jose Earthquakes 30 35
    Los Angeles Galaxy 30 40
    D.C. United	 30 42
    New England Revolution 30 43
    Chicago Fire	 30 44
    Dallas Burn	 30 45
    MetroStars	 30 49

And for the post season (including MLS Cup)

goals for:
    Code:

GP GF Avg
    D.C. United		 4 10 2.50 
    Kansas City Wizards	 4 7 1.75 
    New England Revolution 3 5 1.67 
    San Jose Earthquakes	 2 2 1.00 
    Los Angeles Galaxy	 3 2 0.67 
    Colorado Rapids		 2 1 0.50 
    Columbus Crew			2 1 0.50 
    MetroStars			 2 0 0.00 

goals against:
    Code:
    				GP GA Avg
    Los Angeles Galaxy	 3 3 1.00
    Colorado Rapids		 2 2 1.00
    Columbus Crew			2 2 1.00
    D.C. United			 4 5 1.25
    Kansas City Wizards	 4 5 1.25
    New England Revolution 3 4 1.33
    San Jose Earthquakes	 2 3 1.50
    MetroStars			 2 4 2.00

Just because the Metro couldn't score in a brothel full of Crewzers and Luiz Hernandez' mother, sisters and aunts in the runup to and including the playoffs doesn't mean that DC United didn't.

Edit - screw this formatting, you can figure it out for yourself.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I am constantly amused by the fact that the people who just won a title need to constantly compare themselves to the Metros.

Keep it up Fellas.

I am enjoying this.

LOL!

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You originally wrote:

They've been offensively strong for a pretty damned long time. There are the numbers from the '04 season backing that up. If you want to go back to find out what their goals for numbers for other seasons are, knock yourself out. They're all available on MLSNet.com's archive pages.

Oh, and as to your assertion that they only scored one goal on offense in the Cup, you're full of crap. Eski's second was not "a clear handball" and the third would've been Eski's hat trick if not for the fact that Zotinca put it in first.

14. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    As Graham Parker pointed out a long time ago, passion is no ordinary word. If that KC had only put a little bit of passion into those last 15 minutes, it could have been the most exciting MLS game ever.

As it ended, one is left to merely wonder if anyone -- even the players and coaches -- really gives a darn about MLS. I don't expect MLS players to have the skills of the world's best (although I think they are pretty close), but I do expect them to care.

KC is still waiting for the return leg.

15. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    :D

16. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I just dig a system that allows the 4th best team during the regular season to be crowned "champions". :cool:

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    No one is forcing you to support MLS. There are plenty of other soccer leagues around the world where the "champions" are decided a month or two or three before the season is over. Pick one of those.

18. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I was speakin' to KC clearly having the superior regular season record. You've got your trophy again. No need to be so defensive about how you got it.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Amen.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Over its last 15 games, DCU won 9, tied 4 and lost 2, scoring over 2 goals a game. Once we clicked, we were the best offensive team in the league, even better than those that didn't have a half-competent defense.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I think you hear me knocking, and I think I'm comin' in.