UMD v. UVA (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by KinleyDog, Oct 31, 2003.

1. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    final score 1:0 for umd. wasn't at the game, but from the statistics i see that umd had 20 shots to uva's 8. the statistics indicate that umd dominated. anyone have a game report?

2. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Stats don't even do it justice. I can only remember one real shot on target for UVA, and that was a volley from about 25 yards, relatively harmless. Ryan Burke was the only reason the score wasn't 4 or 5-0. Made a few great saves, a couple on breakaways. Don't have time right now to go into more detail, but only other thing to note was that the referee must have left his cards at home. Not a one issued, and not for a lack of chippy play and tackles from behind.

With the win Maryland wins the ACC regular season for the first time since 1971.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I knew that BGG was planning to play EXTREMELY defensive, which of course translates into fouling the crap out of Maryland every chance they get. He didn't even care about trying to play with Maryland...his game plan was to beat them up. Nice try BGG.

4. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Md. UVA

I agree with G strap. 3 0r 4 terps could have collected cards today, but the ref let them go. O well! a win is a win.

5. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Re: Md. UVA

C'mon man, don't make it sound like Maryland was the only team making hard challenges. UVA had numerous tackles from behind that got only ankle, but the ref let go. He also didn't seem to be a fan of calling obstruction, since both teams were setting some means picks out there. There could've been a few cards issued to both sides and no one would have complained.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The few times I've seen Maryland, Lancos seems like the brightest prospect on that team. Certainly Garey and Ibrahim are dangerous but if Lancos could play a little more physically I think he'd be a serious Nats prospect down the line. Good reads and distribution, plus good size...

Not much to say about UVa. Dinnal was game but seems like Gelnovatch is asking too much of him as a central mid. Vide should have entered sooner (if not started) but I guess people have been saying that all year. Cristman has some promise.

7. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    Lancos IS one of the bright spots on a very talented Maryland team. Maryland dominated the match and UVA was never really in it. Will Hall gave UVA their only shots on goal., the best being a crack that was blocked by UVAs Littlefield. There was never any threats by the UVA forwards. Some good balls played to the forwards by Dinnal, Hall, and later Vide but the ball was always right back at Virginas defense as the forwards had trouble holding the ball. Solid game in the back by Freeman and excellent goalkeeping by Burke but the pressure was constant. UVA would have had a better game if Oliver was able to play in the back freeing up Paul Johnson to help out on offense. Congrats to MD on the ACC title.