Ukrainian Premier League: Dnipro - Dynamo Kyiv [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Feb 29, 2020.

1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Kateryna Monzul had a busy day in the Ukrainian league.

Three uses of VAR:
    6' Red card - SFP (originally only foul given)
    45+1' Penalty, no card (originally yellow card the other way for simulation)
    75' Red card - SFP (originally yellow card)

Other refereeing highlights:
    33' Foul, verbal warning
    34' Yellow card - tactical foul on GK
    59' Yellow card - elbowing
    80' Foul, no card
    86' Yellow card - blocking

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    So is there a follow up for this? Or is it somehow acceptable for an CR to make three "Clear and Obvious errors"?

The yellow for a dive was laughable
    I'll give her credit, those guys are scared to death to dissent.

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I don't want to comment on the specific decisions, but I thought her overall match control was very good.

By the way, the refereeing crew was all-female. Monzul was with her WWC assistants, Maryna Striletska and Oleksandra Ardasheva. The fourth official was another FIFA referee, Anastasiya Romanyuk.

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Monzul's red streak continues, as she again handed out two straight reds for SFP (again, both via OFR!) in the first half of Desna - Zorya. Minutes 21 and 45. Neither originally given as a foul.

Also, fun VAR checking for a non-handball deep in second-half stoppage time (thankfully no OFR). And check out Monzul receiving flowers pre-match in minute 5:45 of the video.

5. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Does a referee get failed for completely missing a sending-off offence where VAR has to come in and correct it?

6. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    The first one is very hard to detect in real time because of the position of the players. Hard to fault Monzul too much there

The second one simply isn’t a red card - I’d be hard pressed to say yellow. Bad VAR intervention.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed
    There wasn't even a foul on the white player.
    Meanwhile, the Blue player should have gotten a caution for recklessness if not a red for SFP.

Look how far gone the ball is when he clammers into the white player.

Attached Files:

8. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    neither player should’ve been penalized. She had it right on the field.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I attached a screenshot. Look at how far gone that ball is.

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    The Ukrainian league enters the second stage, with a championship round for the top half and a relegation round for the bottom half. Monzul gets a match in the relegation round between Dnipro and Mariupol. No spectator, no red card, but with a VAR decision leading to a crucial penalty and first goal of the match. Minute 60:30 is the incident, players briefly appeal but play continues for 45 seconds, before the ball goes out and Monzul stops play for an OFR.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Arm position is completely unnatural.
    Good call.

Amazed and happy to see no dissent.

Video needs a few more popups.

IASocFan repped this.
  12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013

Monzul with her all-female crew in the Cup semi-final between Minai and Dynamo Kyiv. The delay between minutes 74-77 isn't pretty to watch. A potential handball, VAR check, confrontation, yellow card for each side, coach card, and no penalty in the end.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Seems a case of VAR making things worse, not better. I don't know why that took VAR more than one look to know there was no clear error there. But instead of the game moving on, everyone gets to simmer.

IASocFan repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  15. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Very impressive but also thoroughly strange. Are there seriously not 3 different referees in Ukraine that can be trusted to handle these games?

Allow me to make clear my comment has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with sound assignment practices and basic concept of referee rotation.

16. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your screenshot of? From what I can tell, it's not even the same game as the original video. What am I missing here?