Ukraine v Russia II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am not saying it isn't shit. Stopping the offensive mass of the Russia army is going to come with heavy costs. But if you'd been offered this result at the time a vast encirclement centred on Dnipro was in the air, you'd have said this represents the failure of the offensive.

Some of these forces may get wiped out in brutal street fighting - like a mini version of Azov. That will be awful - but a trade Ukraine will take.

Yes - the doctrine of schwerpunkt. But Russia has not translated breakins into any kind of strategic break through yet. I think they are just not capable of it.

Do we know exactly what units may be trapped in the cauldron?

2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It’s doctrine. Reinforce success. In a generic force on force doctrinal template, they array two up and one back. The rearward element is there to flood the penetration as explained above.

Let’s see how much blood and treasure they expend to take their own “pork chop hill.” Hopefully a s h i t load.

russ and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Their nukes were huge money grabs for contractors and, to our benefit, the product suffers for it.

I still don’t subscribe to the insufferable “bUt WoRLdWaR tHrEe” auto-retort (or excuse)

Russia is absolutely petrified of NATO stepping in. They would get decimated in one targeting cycle and they know it. That’s why they always threaten nUkEs whenever they can. I’m over it, and their country of zombies too.

I’d support a UKR incursion into RUS, targeting High Value Targets (terminate).

Here’s further reading on how overstated the “bUt WoRlD wAr ThReE” is.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's a respected name in the discipline so consider her argument a reasoned counterargument to the ones my IR friends espouse (and I parrot here).

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t trust the trapped in a cauldron claim. Ukrainian troops are where they are because their commanders want them there, not because they are trapped there and they can be withdrawn if desired. They are just bleeding the Russians dry at the moment. It’s definitely causing a lot of Ukrainian casualties, but the Russians are losing a lot more.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russian OpSec continues to suck. Yesterday a Russian propagandist posted pictures of one of Russia’s most powerful artillery pieces shelling Ukrainians.. Today, Ukraine posted video of them blowing it up after geolocating its location from the photos.

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    “All right. They’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us … They can’t get away this time.” ~Chesty Puller

“They’ve got us surrounded again, the poor bastards.” ~ COL Creighton Abrams

roby and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a Russian tank with infantry support in one of today’s videos… Unfortunately for the infantry, the were riding on top of the tank and the video was from a Ukrainian ATGM crew as they were firing and destroying the tank….

Boandlkramer and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread does a decent job of arguing that even a major loss against Ukraine would not pose, or be seen as posing, a threat to Putin's status. But going from there to "thus, he won't use strategic nuclear weapons" presumes that the only motivator for Putin to go nuclear is a threat to his own status. That may be true; but it can't just be presumed.

The Jitty Slitter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Putin may use nuclear weapons if he feels there is an existential threat to Russia. The problem is, he thinks an existential threat to Russia is Russia not being in control of Ukraine, Moldova, the Baltics, and a nice chunk of Poland and a west that is free, prosperous, and united. Ukraine was never supposed to be a war - it was supposed to make Russia stronger while unbalancing NATO enough for the rest of his plans.

I strongly, strongly recommend this video:

Vexler has a bunch of others that are really good too, but this one is the key.

Now, that doesn't mean I am in fear of his nuclear posturing and don't think it can be managed by our policies. Russia has not shown any actual unusual activity in regards to their nuclear weapons yet, and while the West may be a threat to his vision of what Russia is, an impossibly savage NATO response to nuclear use is also a existential threat to Russia so I'm sure he has reason to hesitate here.

QuakeAttack, bungadiri and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another take opposing Chomsky’s take

Pattern #1: Denying Ukraine’s sovereign integrity

Pattern #2: Treating Ukraine as an American pawn on a geo-political chessboard

Pattern #3. Suggesting that Russia was threatened by NATO

Pattern #4. Stating that the U.S. isn’t any better than Russia

Pattern #5. Whitewashing Putin’s goals for invading Ukraine

Pattern #6. Assuming that Putin is interested in a diplomatic solution

Pattern #7. Advocating that yielding to Russian demands is the way to avert the nuclear war

https://blogs.berkeley.edu/2022/05/...16Q4PsS_l79lzoIF_Xnr7ERpn_WVl8lOoRhX_jZHA0SAo

spejic and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Chomsky is way past his sell by date

NORML, Boandlkramer, Belgian guy and 2 others repped this.
  14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the more interesting question is, what is NATO's response to the use of a tactical nuke?

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would imagine that there would be a strong movement to reply in kind, especially in the US.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want about St Javelin, but my money is on minor deity Stugna… Ukraine released a video of a single unit destroying 12 Russian vehicles over a 4 day period.

Boandlkramer and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC morning news says Ukraine losing 50-100 soldiers a day in the Donbas. If that's roughly the same across everywhere else -- Kharkiv and Kherson fronts -- then Ukraine has lost a lot of soldiers. It also suggests that the Russians may be losing an equivalent number, given tactics involved, meaning (back of napkin math)... 1,400 Russians a week.

At that rate the starting forces (190k Russia, 230k Ukraine) will be all dead in 135 and 164 weeks.

Which says to me the Russians can continue this fight significantly longer than a collapse in the next few weeks as I previously thought.

Chesco United repped this.
  19. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it will be a bit decentralized. My guess would be Eastern Europe would respond on NATOs behalf. I also think it would be fast and consequential; SRBMs to key RUS hubs within UKR. It would also open the door to giving UKR a greater standoff capability so they can engage key hubs across the border

Doing nothing undermines the very existence of the alliance. Strategically, a nuke detonation has little to do with UKR.

20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My BDA math would tell me this isn’t too far off, however the assumption here is that losses are consistent across the Operational Environment.

UKR in a deliberate defense is going to have, proportionately, lower casualty numbers. Unless they’re counting civilians in those numbers I’m not sure UKR casualties are as high as assessed. Russia is ok with the meat grinder.

That being said, as per previous discussion, unless they dig in for an expanded frozen conflict, no way this goes their way. I think UKR can outlast the invaders. Assuming NATO continues to pour arms Into the country.

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're right and Russian-Ukrainian losses are 2:1 or 3:1 then the Russian army is about to run out of soldiers any day now. Which would be fine by me, so let's hope you're right.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. There's no tactical (=on the battlefield) use for nukes in the Ukraine.
    Only nuking a city can make a difference, but that's not tactical.

24. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Already?! [emoji23][emoji23]

IMG_1031.jpg

[​IMG]

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1450 Yoshou, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    It's not. Donbas is, by far, the most active and most deadly area of the war.

Also, from what I understand, Russia is losing 3-4 times as many soldiers as Ukraine, so if the Ukrainian deaths in Donbas is accurate, that means Russia is losing 150-400 a day. Add in the typical tripling for other casualties and Russia is in deep doodoo unless they start mobilizing more troops.

American Brummie repped this.