Ukraine v Russia II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Relax everybody....I just spoke with someone who says he is a NATO country diplomat and he insisted the other NATO country diplomat was full of beans! :coffee:

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair. Is the "diplomat" wrong? NATO just said they conducted an investigation and have determined that the missile strike was the result of an errant S-300 AA missile fired from Ukraine that missed its target and Zelenskyy just said he didn't believe them and would only trust if it came from a Ukrainian. That's not exactly a good response to people that have been sending them billions in money and equipment to help them.

On the other hand, I can understand where he is coming from. He was seemingly on the verge of having NATO finally doing something militarily so that it wasn't just Ukrainians doing the fighting and dying and, just a day later, that got yanked out from under him.

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    This is P&CE.....need I say more? :coffee:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gotta be honest….I was hoping for Article 5 too.

We were [emoji108] thiiiiis close….give it time

Chesco United repped this.
  5. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Even if it was proven to be a stray Russian strike, there's a zero percent chance that NATO would have taken direct military action in response.

luftmensch, russ, celito and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's the point. If the russians roll their tanks or launch multiple missiles over the border into a NATO country in a clearly coordinated attack THEN article five would be invoked but, otherwise, it will be taken as a provocation and a measured response will be given dependant on the nature of the action.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... well, I can't say as I'm looking forward to dying in a nuclear holocaust but, y'know... maybe that's just me.

American Brummie repped this.
  8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    It was actually much more innocuous than that….he said if it’s ours by all means we should apologize…but we’d kinda like to see the data you have showing that it was ours. A pretty reasonable request.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea so I don’t subscribe to automatic nuclear holocaust nor nuclear blackmail

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Putin’s greatest fear is dying. He wouldn’t start a nuclear war as even he knows where that leads.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ATM we're doing what we need to do. We're backing the Ukrainians to fight for their own country and helping them with everything they need to push the Russians out. That seems fine to me.

If the Russians DID attack a NATO country, (a big 'if' as it stands), then I'd support taking appropriate measures to hit them back.

For instance, if they clearly launched missiles across a border hitting Poland or any other NATO country then I'd accept firing missiles back across their borders and hitting the sites where they were fired from or, in the absence of an obvious target, (if they were launched from mobile sites for instance), then hitting sites of similar type and worth as they did seems appropriate.

But our actions need to be proportionate IMO. That's all I'm saying.

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe? As the picture Bo posted, Poland is yanking at the leash begging to be let loose. Even if it was an errant missile, if it had been Russian, they were going in.

If you prefer professional wrestling terms, Poland is at the corner pounding the mat and screaming “Tag me in! Tag me in!”

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s odd, since there’s nothing in history to explain why the Poles would be eager to kick some Russian ass.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're starting to get lots of images of the equipment Russia left behind as the left Kherson. There's a lot, but almost everything has seen damage from artillery / drones / accident to various degrees taken in the weeks, maybe months, before. It seems that if it could move, Russia took it across the river and if it couldn't, they left it. But it's still a lot of stuff the Russian army will never see again.

Or maybe they will. Ukraine is pretty good at fixing things.

feyenoordsoccerfan and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Some of the recently captured Russian soldiers were sporting Iranian body armor and helmets. One of the few things the Russian people could take pride in was their military export industry. It's quite a blow to the ego to have to import such things now.

I wonder if the Rouin-3 ballistic vest is good against blows to the ego.

QuakeAttack and Belgian guy repped this.
  16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dzhankoy is the key transit hub in north Crimea. It has an airfield and probably lots of military supplies of all kinds. Despite being 160km from Kherson, it was hit by Ukrainian drone attack today. I have no idea what was hit, but the fire is massive and it's been continually exploding for hours.

Boandlkramer, russ and Belgian guy repped this.
  17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wicked Witch of the East bro!

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not convinced Putin is very keen on murder-suicide, but I guess it's better not to find out for real.

Naughtius Maximus and Chesco United repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing is most wars sometimes don't start because people make a conscious decision. They often start because people screw up.

I've mentioned this before on here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37_Days_(TV_series)

It's worth watching anyway.

Chesco United repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Zelensky is still disagreeing with the White House and NATO's conclusions while Poland is in agreement

celito repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I suspect his greatest fear is he wakes up to discover his underlings have done a coup and are now slicing his sac up with a scalpel

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his greatest fear is sending the rest of his life as a gas station attendant in Saudi Arabia.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that happens, it'll be his own fault. He changed the dynamics of Russian government where it's again possible that a leader will be killed on the way out.

After Stalin died, there was a gentleman's agreement among the leadership of the USSR that if you lost a power struggle, you wouldn't typically be taken out back and shot. You could retire quietly to a dacha somewhere. That allowed the USSR to be more stable than most other authoritarian regimes. Putin shook up a lot of things in the Russian status quo, and it would be darkly humorous if that comes back to bite him.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh he certainly knows he can't 'retire'

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another sign of multi-polarity, BRICS+ is increasingly less concerned by sanctions and Cuba isolation seems to be coming to an end.