UK Paper publishes memo on UK (and US?) plan to "quit" Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Jul 10, 2005.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think to Ian that still counts as left wing.

2. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was saying it's quite the opposite of denying the authenticity of the memo.

In general though, the military plans for many, many contingencies that are never exercised. It would be imprudent to do otherwise and would, rightly, get hoots of derision from the opposition party if it were not done. This is not a smoking gun, it is a paper that lays out a possible strategy based on a potential executive decision. However you feel about Bush and Blair, you have also to recognize that as heads of governments, part of their role is to understand their options and make decisions. After all, it is what "We the People" pay them for. Would we rather that they not be given information on the broad range of options?

3. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    I'm in agreement with this. Heck, for some reason this brings back memories of a college history professor pointing out that Canada actually had contingency plans to invade the United States as late as the 1920s.

That having been said, I'm also with Revolt. After all, tt would have been even better if we'd looked at other options before doing the one-and-a-half gainer into this manure pit.

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh. Of course. I'm an idiot.

Indeed. It's interesting, but it certainly isn't scandalous.

5. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Nope. He's right on.

Bush-apologist much?

6. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Hardly

I'm a realist. You live in fantasy land