Ugly Sam & His Rovers v. Arsenal-Monday, 3 May-Pre/Dur/Post Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    apparently. i was listening to the radio and one commentator specifically mentioned the few fans, then laughed and corrected himself saying he hadn't noticed they had the full top tier and actually had a good support there today.

2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My earlier post was a joke btw.

3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

Yeah, sometimes I have a tough time knowing whether it's actually Wenger or something like the Lincoln animatronics thing at Disneyland they're putting out there.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    ah, oops, but probably close enough to be right anyway ;)

5. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amen.

Wenger apparently needs his eyes pryed open with a crow bar to see the things he would not like to. Today isnt enough on its own, but hopefully the cumulative effect will be un-ignorable.

And that isnt only related to Fabianski, who btw, if he was worth a pinch of monkey shit, would be (or have been) on loan somewhere learning his trade as he has never played anywhere else besides Poland.

there is plenty of deadwood to clear out of this team or to leave on the bench, where stunted or not they can wait their turn and take their chances on merit, rather than blind favoritism.

this season, man i tell ya. I spend 1460 days waiting eagerly for the WC, but this year I can't wait for the world cup to get this taste of poo out of my mouth.

6. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I just was about to leave to watch the game! I thought it was at 3 pm. :mad:

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it was on tv at all anyway.

8. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Seriously...consider it as having been lucky. It was an abject display all around.

9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Wel, I guess I got this one horribly wrong. I thought it was on ESPN2. Anyway, I know how to pick these games. I've missed four games this season. We lost three of them and tied the other.

10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    seems that way...well, at least the game didn't ruin my mood.

11. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be fair, I think Wenger gave Flappy these last games of the season as a last chance to prove he can perform when it counts (since he's allegedly great in training). I don't approve of this when we still don't have third locked (here's to a draw in the Eastlands Wednesday), but that seems to be the motivation.

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    At the beginning of the season I thought we had a slim chance of winning the league, and I couldnt understand all the experts and pundits picking Liverpool as potential title winners, and us as potential 5/6/7th place finishers. A few games into the season, and despite losses to both Manchester sides, I really thought we still had a chance. Then Van Persie got injured, followed by Bendtner and realistically that chance of a title was gone, but I was still confident that this season would be better than last, it was another step up the ladder towards another league title and Wengers vision of the future.
    And somehow we did ok, and somehow we managed to carry 3 different keepers. Almunia who has had some solid seasons, including one where he was the equal of anyone in the Prem went backwards, failing to inspire confidence in his defence, and always giving the opposition a chance. Mannone, a keeper who was thrust into the limelight far too early showed promise, but then showed he's just too young for the big league, not his fault, but he isnt good enough yet.
    And then Fabianski. I dont think Ive seen a more error prone keeper, he really is quite spectacular at making mistakes. And he cost us games, plain and simple. Just as Almunia has done. And after the Wigan game I dont think there was an Arsenal fan in the country or the world who wanted him to continue between the posts, apart from one, the most important one, Wenger.
    And of course after the Man City Wenger came out and claimed that his decision to play Fabianski had been vindicated and the keeper had proved he had what it took to be top class

"He still has to show that he can be consistent. I know he has the talent and he has shown against Man City that he is mentally strong and that he can respond. Now the next target is for him to show that he can be consistent."

I was a little shocked by this. Maybe I shouldnt have been, its typical Wenger. Build up a players confidence as quickly as he can, but lets face it, I know its a bit of a cliche, but I could have got the same result Fabianski did against Man City, as could basically anyone with a working pair of legs and arms. Still, Wenger was asking him for consistency before he declared him (ho ho ho) to be a world class keeper, and so we came to todays game. And of course the only consistency was that the same cliche that was true of the Man City game was true of the Blackburn game. Yes, you've got it, I could have got the same result Fabianski did against Blackburn, IE, flap at the ball, miss crosses, got balked by players who were told to get in his way, and basically show a complete lack of confidence, strength, seniority, or basic goalkeeping ability.
    So sorry Wenger, Fabianski didnt prove anything against Man City, because he was never called upon to do anything. He didnt have to do a thing, it was a complete non-game for a keeper, he could have slept through most of it, so effectively his next proper game after Wigan was today against Blackburn, and the only consistency he showed was that he is not good enough to play for Arsenal.

In fact he's not even close to being good enough. He wouldnt get into another Premiership side. I cant think of a single keeper in the Prem league that would be a step down from Fabianski, and while we're at it the same applies to Almunia and for a team with aspirations of winning the Champions League, that simply isnt good enough, or right.

However even now, I'm willing to give Wenger the benefit of the doubt. He's proved me wrong before. I never thought Eboue would be worthy of the shirt, I never thought Song would play above championship level, and maybe one day Fabianksi will be good enough to play for us, so if Wenger wants to sign him on a 5 yr contract, fine, do it, thats ok, but, and its a big but please please please, send him out on loan next season, and maybe the following season, until he is good enough to play for a side that can win the league. We perservered with Song for a couple of seasons when he was 'learning his trade', before he became a top quality player, but a goalkeeper is different. We cannot afford to do the same with a goalkeeper, we will concede too many goals, we will concede too many games, we will lose championships and cups because of him.

Ive heard many quotes and stories over the last 6 months that Arsenal are turning the financial corner, that finally, there really is money to spend. And therefore whilst I praise Wenger for keeping us near the top and yet somehow spending nothing, now is the time to change all that. So if Wenger does not buy a new keeper in the summer, and stays with Almunia and Fabianski, I will agree with the pundits who say we will win nothing, and I will change my view on him for the first time since 1996 and hope that he leaves. I hate to say that because I love Wenger to bits, he's done more for Arsenal than any other manager I can remember, but we cannot continue with Laurel and Hardy as our top 2 keepers

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    miles, nice post

where in cov are u?

14. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Regardless of what he's saying now (what should he say? "Our keeper in our next fixture is shit"?), I have to think Wenger is going to buy a keeper in the summer. If he doesn't, then I agree he's gone mental. But the fact that he benched Manny suggests he understands the situation and merely wanted to give Fabianski one more shot. Clearly that opportunity was squandered by the keeper, just as the manager squandered the chance to make Man U and Chelsea watch their backs.

15. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    So, I saw the match report. Blackburn had more shots on goal and off target! I'm reading a lot about Fabianski's mistake. Was that the game decider, or were we second best in general? I hate losing to fat Sam.

16. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Currently, Basel, Switzerland, though I do still have a house in Coventry :)

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i've been around cov with work and play regularly against a team in tile hill

good call on getting out of cov lol

18. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    "We'll win it for Ramsey" Puh yeah right.

Fabianski is crap and Walcott will never be a top four player. He just won't. You can quote me on this.

19. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles...good loooooooooooooooooong blog. I do agree with it. There is no doubt that next to hull we have worst GK in the league!

20. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have resisted posting because many gunner supporters rag on me for being so critical, but after today's loss, I again need to vent.

Wenger had a chance to be either brilliant or a chump this season....you decide which one he ended up as.

• Knowing our squad was unbalanced he remained stubborn and did not buy players
    • knowing our squad was injured he remained stubborn and did not buy players
    • Knowing the squad was undermanned he remained stubborn and refused to adjust his tactics to deal with the powerhouse teams, leading to embarrassing loses vs Barca, the blues, Man City, and Man U, West HAm...I could go on.
      Knowing our GKs was bad going into the season he refused to buy one!

Do I support Wenger?....well yeah because I admire his style, his player development, and because Arsenal are special, but I hate his arrogance and stubborn approach to the game.

Maybe we can win the Europa league next year.

21. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So...we're gonna go out of the CL in the group stages? :confused:

22. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear we will lose the last game........and totts will finish ahead of us! Perhaps I am mistaken but we are playoff bound to CL if we finish fourth?

23. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    No worries, we'll have 3rd place secured by this time on Weds. That isn't the issue at hand though entirely for me.

24. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SLO I sure hope so! It is going to be hard to keep VP after WC! That is another worry of mine!

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Meh, not sure what people are surprised about. This is what happens when you have a complacent side. No scrapping for starting spots. Nope, commit weekday clankers, no worries son, back on the team sheet you go. Totally disavow any knowledge of defensive responsibility? Ahh that's okay you're young and injured, or young and inexperienced, on the starting lineup you go, you need more time to aclimate to the rigours of profesional football. No problem Fabianski you cost us 5 games hey that's okay, lets get you back out there you'll be a great professional soon. Doesnt' matter how many games you loose and how much we look like crap when you're out there. Oh and fans, be sure to support this subpar product I keep trotting out all in the name of "youth". Yep, that's the Arsenal way.

Play beautiful football. BTW Can we stop that lie? Beautiful football? So then why are we outscored Chelski and Manure? Oh wait..

Listen, we have a complacent side, and that goes from Wenger on down. No one disputes his prowess in building the club up to what it is now. However anyone honest with themselves can see the inertia and complacency has set in and it could become a deep rot. How exactly are we different from Liverpool in terms of just always seeming like a "building project"?

Our league title and their CL even each other out. Wenger needs to change up "something", what exactly I'm not sure but a fuhkin goalie who doesn't look like a completely overmatched incompetent would be a good start.

Up The Arsenal!!