UEFA Women World Cup 2023 qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I'm not a huge fan of intercontinental (international) playoffs as a whole. I don't like it in men's football either except for the two-legged intercontinental playoff but that's a double fixture and not a mini-tournament between 10 different teams. I would be in favor of something like that for women's football and to each continent his own method of qualifying.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Fair enough! I'm definitely more of a cross-confed-competition fan myself, so definitely want to see more intercontinental matches in general.

3. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    And I can respect that, it's just not something that I will ever support because I think it's nonsensical and detrimental to players.

4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #379 Every Four Years, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Intercontinental playoffs are okay in principle, just the format here is needlessly complicated imo. UEFA imo should just have a 12th direct spot, and AFC should have one playoff spot removed.

Then you would have 8 teams fighting for 2 spots, simple. You could even have just had the playoff tournament in October 2022 and gotten it all done before the final draw.

A quick unseeded draw based on the principle of no more than one team from a confed in a given path gave me this:

Round 1:
    Match 1: Panama-Cameroon
    Match 2: Chinese Taipei-Chile
    Match 3: Haiti-Senegal
    Match 4: Paraguay-Papua New Guinea

Round 2:

Match 5: Panama/Cameroon - Chinese Taipei/Chile
    Match 6: Haiti/Senegal - Paraguay/Papua New Guinea

SiberianThunderT and toad455 repped this.
  5. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    The Uefa team is very likely to win their playoff spot because the opponents are much weaker than in uefa

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...yes? I don't know what part of that post you were trying to reply to

7. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    But at least every team will play two matches in NZ in February, so if they lose it is a friendly afterwards, but it will still feel like a world cup game

JanBalk repped this.
  8. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    4 sides will be seeded and 6 unseeded, The highest seeded side goes into Group A with two unseeded teams, second highest goes into Group B with another two unseeded teams, the remaining sides (2 seeded and 2 unseeded) go into Group C.

The unseeded teams in Groups A then play against each other in a semi, before facing the seeded side in the final with winner going to the World Cup. The same also happens in Group B. In Group C however, the seeded sides play a semi-final against the unseeded sides determined by a draw and then both winners play each other in a final with the winner going to the World Cup.

To ensure all teams play 2 games each, the seeded sides in group A and B will also have to play a friendly against hosts New Zealand and another guest nation on the days the unseeded teams play their semi-finals.

It's basically a tournament prior to a tournament, total insanity. You will have teams traveling to the other side of the world 20+ hours away from their continent in order to play a game which they cannot afford to lose otherwise they will fail to qualify. How anyone came up with this is beyond me. This isn't about 'feeling like a World Cup game', it's about wasting time and energy from smaller teams for who it's virtually impossible to qualify yet will have to go through all this for the sake of competition knowing the system is "rigged" against them.

Every Four Years repped this.
  9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From a player or coach's or confederation's point of view you are absolutely correct.
    But, from a fan's point of view it would mean more soccer for us to view ant that is usually good, mostly.

Personally I think that the "ideal" format would be a minor tournament for the lower ranked teams in the form of home/home matches with groups seeded in a reasonable format and the top two to six being added to a "main" tournament of the same general format.

But what I suggested would probably be too complicated and/or too expensive to actually work.

In youth soccer many years ago I ran into similar problems in the attempt to implement a multi state tournament that had a real chance of finding the "best" team. There was no way found that gave the lower ranked teams plenty of matches and also made it affordable and also did not over burden the players and cause injuries. Kids, in most of the younger age brackets "can" play much more often than adults even to the point of playing two matches in a day and even with that it proved impossible to come up with a system that was fair and workable. I cannot believe that coming up with a good workable system is easier for the various countries throughout Europe.

It is generally impossible to be truly fair when dealing with the ego levels we find in soccer.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    And on the Tuesday you arrive in Auckland there is a 50 percent chance your would cup campaign ends in 3 days Tim, but I guess for a lot of players just being in NZ and hearing the Fifa anthem is good enough for them and qualifying is just a nice bonus.

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight it's getting serious. The World Cup dream will end for three UEFA teams.

19:00 CET: Portugal - Belgium
    20:15 CET: Wales - Bosnia Herzegovina
    20:35 CET: Scotland - Austria

blissett repped this.
  12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blissett repped this.
  13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Does any one have any links to Portugal v Belgium???

14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Justine Vanhaevermaet not fit to start for Belgium in midfield. That's a big blow for them.

blissett repped this.
  15. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blissett repped this.
  16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Any one have any links?

Portugal 1-0 up still in the 1st half

blissett repped this.
  17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Belgium made it 1-1 with a pen 5 mins b4 half time

blissett repped this.
  18. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Gooooooooooooal 2-1 Portugal 89min

please hold on please hold ooooooon

Lohmann and blissett repped this.
  19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees get the f in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Full time 2-1 Portugal

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blissett repped this.
  21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Belgium had Amber Tysiak sent off shortly before Portugal scored the late winner. She was the one who injured Ada Hegerberg last month. :coffee:

blissett repped this.
  22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was the play we’re Portugal got the pen but var got involved ref changed her mind gave a free kick and had to change the card for a red and from the free kick keeper saves it for a corner and from the corner Portugal scored the winner. For me it looked like a pen

blissett, BarryfromEastenders and Bauser repped this.
  23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  24. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Wales - Bosnia & Herzegovina 0-0 after 90 mins. We are going to extra-time.

blissett repped this.
  25. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    We are going to extra-time also at Hampden Park. Scotland - Austria 0-0.

blissett repped this.