UEFA Superleague idea

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by barroldinho, Aug 3, 2009.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FIFA basically live in fear that there's football being played somewhere that they aren't making money from.

They want this to replace the confedation tournaments (that bring them no revenue) with FIFA events.

Unfortunately this is what happens when governing bodies think their objective is to make as much moeny as possible, rather than govern the game.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UK ESL clubs are donating £22 million to grass roots soccer, whatever that is.

3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Football in the UK is not just the top 6 clubs or the rest of the Premier league

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. My club is in the National League promotion playoffs. Still I wouldn't call that grass roots.

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apart from professional football, grassroots football is a game that seeks to develop football from the local level, Sunday league pub teams children leagues. Grassroots football players are mostly amateurs as they play for the love of the game. The backbone of the game stands through the support of local football fans, volunteers, parents of players, sponsors and the players themselves.

6. Looks like the Dutch and Belgians are preparing to launch a mini version of the ESL.
    The Belgians are very keen on realizing the cross border BeNed Liga, but the Dutch not so much.
    Now Deloitte Touche is researching the possibility of a blockbuster tournement between the top clubs of both countries, while they remain in their leagues.
    The tournement then would be between the top 4 of both countries.

7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Without promotion and relegation?

8. Dunno. I think it depends on which clubs are in the top 4 position.

9. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that a BeNeLiga is going to happen. The Dutch teams don't have much to gain. It would be smarter if the Netherlands shrunk their league from 18 to somewhere between 10-16.

10. The proposal I mentioned comes in stead of the BeNed Liga, as the Dutch clubs arenot keen on it.

11. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link?

12. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. The exodus of superstarplayers (the real ones, not the ones with an absurd transferprice without performances to match it) from esl clubs like Barcelona/Juve to clubs still in the UEFA CL doesnot bode well for a second attempt to resurrect it.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big problem with a full blown Benelux league is that it the combined number of UCL/UEL places could be less than the aggregate number today. Plus you could see Belgian clubs grabbing most of the European slots (both leagues use playoffs today to decide Euro qualification).

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  15. klade

klade New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Portugal
    Sep 16, 2021
    Bad idea.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guess I was right after all. Florentino did have his ducks in a row. UEFA having to go back with their tails in between their legs. Problem now is the EPL clubs probably can't do a U turn and not get backlash from the public. At least not in the short term. But the road is open for the Super league.

17. Dunno what you're talking about. Because there's no ESL anymore, there's no need to make lawyers rich with going to court for kicking a dead corpse.

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The entire project is dead. The only reason the English clubs even entertained the idea of joining was out of fear of being left behind. It's not something they particularly want or need, and the government are not going to allow their involvement even if they now supported it.

The only way an ESL happens I think is if the money in the Premier League turns the Champions League into a farce where the English clubs always dominate, but we're a long way off from anything like that I think.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #971 calabrese8, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    ive changed my mind. yes to the superleague.

re: Milan vs Atletico today and Cakir single handedly giving Atletico the 3 points

edit: not just this game but this could have been one of the worst games i've seen reffed since Byron Moreno in 2002 WC.

20. ????
    What's refereeing got to do with the ESL?
    Was it in a side letter of the ESL proposal?

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    UEFA has their favourites in the CL. Serie A does not fit into that. At a certain point when you have so many "50/50" decisions going the other way.. whats the point of staying.

not just the refereeing.. but how about FIFA fairplay. Milan served a ban from europe for financial irregularities... but Man City had their ban lifted no problem.

enough is enough.

22. Sorry to blow your believes, but the ManCity ban wasnot lifted by UEFA, but was cut short by the court of CAS.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ok sure thing... Them and PSG have totally clean books in your opinion?