UEFA Superleague idea

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by barroldinho, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warnock signed Tony Agana as a striker. He wasn't a striker he was a provider who'd had a freak season in front of goal. Warnock admitted his mistake. Fans felt sorry for Tony and he became a cult hero despite only scoring 15 goals in 145 matches.

By the way I had an American colleague who went to one Man City game a year. He'd planned to go to Man City vs Leicester a couple of years ago but it was postponed due to a cup match. I told him to go to Oldham to see some real footy. He refused.

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like I said if you can give me a valid reason why Arsenal or Spurs should be an elite member of a closed off league I would be interested to hear it? What 'good' would have come out if this self appointed 'league of selfish b*stards' for the VAST majority of European fans? Also do you think for one moment that the fans would let this abomination go ahead? How would exactly would Stamford bridge put on a game between 2 greedy b*stard teams exactly? They couldn't even get the game to go ahead against Brighton until they pleaded with the fans and promised them that they were going to withdraw from the greedy f*ckfest called laughingly the 'super league'. How 'good' for the game would it be if Arsenal couldn't play at the Emirates and couldn't field it's actual team? I mean calling a second string 'Arsenal' and playing a game in Saudi Arabia isn't going to work is it!?

BocaFan repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Arsenal ? Fan base and they are the team 3rd most 1st division titles in England not to mention most FA cup titles. Spurs there is more of a point to be made. But they were already part of the big 5 in 92 in the EPL breakout. They are in 4th with respect to FA cups. Regardless, the point of the ESL is not to take the clubs in Europe that have the most winning history ... it's to take the clubs with the most global following today.

Panzo repped this.
  4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    So the English clubs learned the hard way that Boris Johnson is not to be trusted, as he turned on the idea once he saw which way the wind was blowing.

1386232686101110784 is not a valid tweet id

charlie15 repped this.
  5. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Out of all the things to get upset about with the Super League, I got to say a politician changing his view based on public opinion is pretty low down the list.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boris is a liar and a hypocrite, what else is new?

JanBalk repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That would definitely change some of the dynamics of the EPL with regards to the top vs mid/bottom teams.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What was the reaction for the fans from those 6 clubs ?

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok. So from an EPL teams point of view, not much would change in terms of making it into European competition. If you look at who qualifies to the CL every year, it has been with very little exception the teams from this big 6. Leicester is the most recent one I can think of and this season you might have another one. Teams that would really get screwed are teams from other leagues like Porto, Ajax, PSV, Lyon, Monaco, Sevilla etc ...

In terms of the importance of the EPL itself, it could definitely drop a notch as in some weeks those teams may rest some players for the ESL. But it's not anything that doesn't already happen with the CL. I do however, understand the fear of these ESL teams down the road wanting to expand the competition and possibly even playing in the weekend and force domestic leagues (the top ones) to move midweek. Not sure that would happen, but it's a possibility way down the line. I am not sure what would happen to TV rights money since the ESL is just a closed shop CL really. I think that's going to go down regardless. But that would definitely hurt the mid-to-lower table clubs as they would have to spend less on roster and the difference between them and the big 6 would only get larger. In practice that wouldn't change much in terms of table position though as big 6 have for a long time consistently had 5-6 teams finish in the top 6.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Arsenal are a mid table team, so I ask again why do Arsenal deserve to be in a Super League? And if being shite doesn't even count then why not Aston Villa? They are also one of the 'biggest' clubs in England but UNLIKE Arsenal they have European pedigree!?

11. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is this a serious question!!?

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I already wrote the reason. Global fan base. Arsenal 17m twitter followers, Aston Villa 1.5m. They were using a mix of tradition and global appeal. I mean ... they stated the reason. Why didn't you look it up ?

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. I didn't follow it. You're not the center of the Universe.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You think Twitter followers means you 'deserve' to be in a Super League!! Seriously!!? You mean the actual sporting merit has nothing to do with it!!? Do you realise football is a sport right? Did you know that the champions of the league are the ones that win football matches and not the ones that have the most fans or the prettiest kits right!? So I ask again what have Arsenal done to DESERVE to be included in some kind of 'Super League'!!?

15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seriously what do you think!? How do you imagine they felt!? Why do you think this so called 'super league' will NEVER happen?

16. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is what I have come up with regards to the proposed 2024 access list:

CL title holder (if already qualified place passes to champion of league ranked 13)
    EL title holder (if already qualified place passes to 4th placed team from league ranked 5)
    Champions (1-12)
    Runners-up (1-6)
    3rd (1-5)
    4th (1-4)

Non-champions qualifying path:

2nd qualifying round:
    Runners-up (10-15)

3rd qualifying round:
    3 winners from previous round
    Runners-up (7-9)
    3rd (6)
    4th (5)

Playoff Round:
    4 winners from previous round

Champions qualifying path:

1st qualifying round:
    Champions (46-55)

2nd qualifying round:
    5 winners from previous round
    Champions (16-45, excluding Liechtenstein)

3rd qualifying round:
    17 winners from previous round
    Champions (13-15)

Playoff round:
    10 winners from previous round

This of course is barring UEFA take away the two historical places, which I believe they will.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A BoJo EdWo nono!

sbahnhof repped this.
  18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The state of having the highest level of football run by a group of American, Russian and Middle Eastern oligarchs who care nothing for the game is fundamentally wrong, even more so when it's a closed shop for anyone they don't want involved, with no scope for any team to reach the top through performances alone. The practicalities of how it could effect the Premier League are an trivial by comparison. If the biggest teams don't perform then they should fail. If the smallest teams do perform then they should succeed. It's a crime against sport to remove that basic principle.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But that sorta highlight why the ESL is a joke. Take out the "E" at least, its only 3 countries. lol And as you say, the other 50 get screwed.

Anyway, I also disagree that the other clubs in these 3 leagues wouldn't get the shaft. The gap between the SL and other clubs will widen so the existence of a SL will also negatively impact these 3 domestic leagues and cups.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That’s fair .

21. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Call me shocked... ;)
    "Last year, the Times of London reported that Pérez had been awarded the contract to build the Quiddiya entertainment centre planned in Saudi Arabia for 6.5 billion euros, a kind of Las Vegas but for Muslim-friendly entertainment. As a side effect, 150 million euros had been offered to Real - for the promotionally effective appearance of four players from the star squad. Allegedly, Pérez's Saudi Arabian business contacts were also an entry point for the now founded Super League. The boss of which, of course, is also Florentino Pérez."

charlie15 repped this.
  22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair to say, not happy....

[​IMG]

fun fact...if you'd been on the spot around 50 years ago, the chances are you'd have seen a young John Lydon walking around, as his childhood home used to be where that forecourt area is now.

23. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Apparently Perez put in a rule that anyone challenging him for President of "fan owned" Real Madrid must have the funds to cover 15% of the current year's budget, which rules out 99.99999% of members I'd have thought, give or take a 9.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56873046

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's remember that the English Football League wasn't always a noble institution, actively poaching teams from other leagues in its first 4 decades and restricting membership for almost a century.

25. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019