UEFA Sporting vs Sochaux[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we got get Danny in the game, Sochaux just missed a goal, Ricardo with a little luck save it

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Eakarine having a great game

Pedro Barbosa just made a clumsy kick, is too old

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    a france defender almost scored in there own net, the goalkeeper with a great saved, almost a repeat of Sporting goal

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Pedro Barbosa out and Danny in 66m

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    17 year old Menez is in, they say his the French Cristiano Ronaldo

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    8m to go still 0-1

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Liedson and Rochemback just missed a goal

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    goalkeeper for Sochaux killing a lot minutes, and then they say its only the portuguese teams

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    90 m over and we got 4 m of extratime

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    game over Sochaux the winner

Sporting-0-Sochaux -1

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Panionios 5 - 2 D. Tibilisi

Way to go Sporting :eek:

Why do you guys always lose at home in UEFA????

12. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    What does this result mean?
    Can Sporting Lisbon still progress easily!

Having Carlos Martins, Custodio, Tinga out of the lineup certianly hurt.

13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Well, Sporting Have to beat Newcastle :eek: and Hope Panionios does not win next game.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    what's the standings? 3rd place qualifies to the Uefa Cup

No way Panionis going to beat Sochaux

15. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Sporting needed one point to advance? How sad was that! They lose to Sochaux, who's level on pts with Sporting, and now we're faced with a win-or-go home game against the NUFC Newcastle. Talk about buckling under the pressure. I dunno...time to get the game face on, role up some sleeves, and focus on taking it to the opposition.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    3rd place will qualify, Sporting will beat out Panionis on goals average, anybody got the standings?

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Sporting got a plus 6
    Panionios got -1

Sporting can't afford to lose by a lot against Newcastle

18. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Sporting no Carlos Martins no Victory, H.Viana is no way near of C.Martins talent, about this game, about a bad decision of Peseira to put Beto as CM, where was Custodio? :rolleyes: Enakharire simply fantastic

19. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    my ratings:

Ricardo 3
    R.Jorge 2
    Rogerio 1
    Polga 0
    Enakharire 5
    Beto 0
    Rochemback 1
    Douala 2
    Barbosa 1
    Viana 2
    Liedson 3

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah I watched it on rtp international. I live in a Portuguese heavy region so I get that channel on basic cable. You have to pay extra for the Italian and French channels for some reason but the French channel dont show UEFA Cup matches it only shows French league games.

21. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Good work by Peseiro... a midfield with Beto... Rochemback... Pedro Barbosa... and Hugo Viana... how i feel bad for Liedson and Douala the only ones running like mad.
    Beto was terrible, Rockemback can´t move, Pedro Barbosa play at his normal pace 10 km an hour, Hugo Viana tried some shoots but he can´t make more than that, the best Sporting players were Enakarkhire and Douala.
    Despite all this i think Sporting deserved at least a tie because isn´t easy to play against an ultra defensive team (made me remember Greece...).
    Sporting will qualify but if they qualify in third they will catch the best teams of other groups or CL teams.

22. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Despite the negative result, SCP need to lose by 7 goals (and not score any) in Newcastle and Panionios need to win against Sochaux playing in France...not going to happen. If you factor out the early Christmas present given by Polga to Sochaux, Sporting played like a team that was tired out. I am confident that this team will not utterly collapse in the manner required to have Panionios advance on their behalf.

Now, I didn't watch the game - work got in the way of that. Looking at the line-up, though, why would Paseiro opt for Beto as a DM? Custodio has been one of the 4 or 5 players that has consistently played well this season. Also, I know C. Martins was hurt or else he would've started, so why not start Danny ahead of Barbosa? I mean, if this was 1997, then I would start Barbosa, but he is a substitute player now, a guy that can play 15 solid minutes - 20 tops. I would've liked to have seen Danny and his creativity in the team from the start. I think it would've complemented Douala's game in getting Liedson the ball. It seems that Paseiro is getting into the trend of playing guys one game then taking them out the next game. Paito sat, Custodio sat...but hey, what do I know???

23. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe that Peseiro went with some experienced players and at the same time had to rest and deal with injuries to some others. This would explain Beto and Pedro Barbosa in the starting lineup. Beto at trinco [a position he has played before] was a bit baffling, but I am sure he had his reasons.

Aside from all of this the French came in with great game plan and Peseiro was outcoached. They defended with 5 midfielders and their counter attack was deadly.[this in part to the SCP lapses in the defensive third]

SCP had all the possession, but lacked speed and passing in their midfield. While Liedson and Douala worked well up top, the midfield was a disaster as Viana, Rochemback and Barbosa all played equally bad. While the desire was there the speed and accuracy was not.

All this and they still only lost because of a mental lapse in the 2nd minute of the game.

Positives to take from this game, SCP do organize their direct style of play well. The only thing missing is the final execution. I believe they will give Newcastle a very competitive game, as the English style works well in the SCP favor.

Final point, tough to lose at home. But good to see the SCP fans stand behind their team. Also good to see them whistle the French for their lackluster style of play, which unfortunately was rewarded again.

24. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    It should make a very good game on 16 December.

Although Newcastle are through to the next round already, we know that a Sporting win puts them at the head of the group. I am sure that both sides will go for the win to ensure they are group winners.

I know we only need a draw, but when you have a defence like ours you cannot play for that result.

25. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for the post, be sure to come back win or lose and give us your opinion in the Newcastle v. Sporting thread.

By the way, do any of the Newcastle fans miss Viana. Or do they view him as a bad signing and a flop?