UEFA Nations League 2020/21 | Oranje journey to glory

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :(It sucks.
    If you want to react for instance to three separate parts of a post you could highlight each part on it's own and react to that. Now you have to quote the whole post and copy it another two times and then delete three times the parts you don't need. It's cumbersome.

2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    That looks good. You need to have a good coach with that team. W/O a good coach, it will be a waste.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Or your could do this
    See how I break things up.
    .I can put random text here...........................
    This is cumbersome and time consuming but it works.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Gravenberch having a good run of games. Some goal he scored today to break the dead-lock.

Like I’ve said before, if Vilhena can get selected so can Ryan. Hope he keeps this up and has a break-out season.

He’d be such an asset for our midfield. Strong, direct, technical, and a great long-shot on him.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  6. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man, honestly Gravenberch has so much potential it's insane. He's kind of Frenkie like but more offensive. We're really gonna have so many options for the midfield positions. Depending on the team were playing against simply switching one player can completely change our tactics. Assuming De Jong and Wijnaldum are locked in, it leaves Gravenberch, Klaassen, De Room, Van de Beek, Koopmeijers, Veerman and potentially Ihattaren/Stengs as options. Wow.

Honestly I wonder if Wijnaldum, Frenkie and Gravenberch would be possible. That midfield would be so insanely dynamic and athletic, wow! It could be possible because Frenkie also does a lot of defensive work, but Gravenberch would have to improve in that sense. With De Ligt and Van Dijk as CBs you might not need as much of a stereotypical DM. Imagine the movement, power and added offensive strength though! Honestly in terms of physical power and athleticism that's just an unreal midfield, and these days it seems like that's what football is all about.

Jpows repped this.
  7. You forgot this match?
    upload_2020-11-26_0-31-20.png

8. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Oh yes. Let’s use the one game where de Roon brought “stability” and make draw conclusions from that. Not to mention it was vs the mighty Belarus.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  9. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Doesn't really matter, you can't base everything on one game. IMO De Roon has no place as a starter for Oranje, he is just too limited.

You can't compare games because at that time the Netherlands was also so toothless in attack and Van de Beek cannot be compared to Gravenberch. I agree Van de Beek, Wijnaldum and De Jong doesn't work either. But its not crazy to assume that De Jong, Gravenberch and Wijnaldum with their athleticism will pin back the other team which in itself functions defensively. Don't forget Barcelona used to dominate the world with a midfield of Busqueta, Iniesta and Xavi. Compared to that De Jong, Gravenberch and Wijnaldum are way more physical and defensively strong.

IMO both VdB and De Roon should not be starting if the other two players are Frenkie and Wijnaldum. It should be someone like Klaassen, Gravenberch or Koopmeijers. We know Klaassen is a decent option so now I would like to see the other two tried.

Jpows repped this.
  10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    re: De Roon, I agree. We have seen enough of him past couple years, and I think he should only be brought in as a defensive reinforcement (e.g. to protect the lead).

re: Van de Beek, I don't know. I think the judge is still out on this. If Donny settles and thrives in the central midfield role for M.U. - that could be interesting. Needless to say, it's a big "IF" given that Donny is still new and hasn't featured that much... and ultimately replacing Pogba is an incredibly tall order.

Having two workhorses in Donny and Gini in midfield (alongside Frenkie) could work well. Two CM's with eyes for goal and accustomed to make runs to the box. This would not only open a ton of space for the forwards, but also would potentially yield very healthy returns on the scoresheet. If I were FdB, my biggest headache would be where to find goals (aside from Memphis, the rest of the forwards are mediocre and/or emerging). Both Donny and Gini could be the answers.

For now, I think Klaassen would work fine. He really took his chance to show his worth these past few games, and to his credit - he's in the driving seat now.

So the pecking order for the "third wheel" in midfield IMHO is something like this: Klaassen >> VdB >> De Roon >> Koopmeiners >> Gravenberch.

Not exactly a knock or criticism for Koopmeiners and Gravenberch. Just the reality. They're still rather young and inexperienced. Both haven't really dominated Eredivisie for a long sustained period of time (still lacking consistency), so I'd say let them develop... give them fair minutes every now and then. But, I think starting them would be a mistake (a stretch) at this point of time. Their chances will come, no doubt!

11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Idk, I think Klaassen shines in keeping things simple, which is good, but he doesn’t offer much else imo. Add to that that he’s painfully slow. Koopmeiners is more dynamic and a risk-taker, he also has better long-shooting ability.

As for Donny, he’s like a more technical and faster version of Klaassen. Which isn’t a bad thing, but isn’t a great thing either. He also hasn’t shown much at United and has yet to break into the first team. Can’t be a starter for the Dutch NT if you’re not a starter for your club.

If Gravenberch continues this form and has a break-out season then there won’t be a way around him. He has the biggest potential out of all the aforementioned. I love me a power midfielder with good technique and a great long-shot to boot.

He reminds me a bit of Leroy Fer when he was still a massive talent at Feyenoord, with those long and powerful strides in midfield going forward. You love to see it.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  12. You're leaving out the best one next to Frenkie where it comes to creativity, Ihattaren.

In my opinion a 3-4-3 set up with Ihattaren has the preference.

13. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    No argument there.... just waiting for Ihattaren to break out of his funk. He's been very ordinary, sometimes borderline depressing, to watch as of late. I started wondering if the 4-2-2-2 Schmidt's setup limiting his creativity. The middle of the park is crowded that Ihattaren is getting so little touches. Good news is that he seems to fight hard. Will revisit this topic in few weeks more weeks... we'll see how this shakes out!

Jpows repped this.
  14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    C'mon.... you know you can aim higher there ;):p Let's hope that Gravenberch could be the Dutch version of Yaya Toure or Patrick Viera. Physically imposing, bold, and powerful!

gabrielguilarte, DutchFanatic and Jpows repped this.
  15. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To what degree do you think Ihattaren could play on the right forward role like Ziyech? I'm not sure if he has the fitness for that, but what do you think? That would be ideal since we have enough wonderful options for the center, but less so in the forward positions. What a team we could have had if we had just not ********ed up with Ziyech! But let's hope Ihattaren or Stengs can take that role soon.

16. Actually Ihattaren's next spot is the right wing, so he fits the Ziyech role perfectly. In my opinion.

17. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah I know that's his other position the only thing is Ziyech puts in a crazy amount of running and defensive contribution. I wonder if Ihattaren would be able to match that.

18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    After Gravenberch’s noteworthy performance yesterday it was Gakpo’s turn tonight. He was so good and seems to have found that form again from before he got tested positive.
    He’s just such a goal-threat, and coming from the wings this is something we are missing in the Dutch NT.

I think he has really earned the call-up to the senior NT, also taking into account his great form before he got sick.

Malen was also good tonight. It’s great to see these youngsters doing so good. We really need them to step it up for the upcoming tournaments.

DutchFanatic and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  19. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    So despite the result, Gravenberch has been receiving international praise left right and centre after his CL performance vs Liverpool last night.

He’s developing at an astounding rate. Really hope he can keep this up and have a true break-out season. I would love to have a power-midfielder like him at Oranje.

I hope he keeps silencing the doubters and proving what I have been saying for a while now: He deserves to be in Oranje at least over the likes of Vilhena, Strootman, de Roon. If he continues developing at this rate, I’d take him over Klaassen and DvB too.

To be fair to Klaassen, he was pretty good last night too.

20. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Gio left his Chinese team coaching. After FDB's many failures with different clubs, Cocu and Gio experienced the same after leaving Eredivisie. This seems to be the trend with many former national team player turning coach (not counting Seedorf, MVBommel and others). Maybe they can line up to replace FDB after Euro :ROFLMAO:?

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Less than 6 months away from Euro 20/21 (maybe...:p) Who's going to represent Oranje?

Lots of club-level matches to be played with between now and then - nonetheless, here's my take on the first 22 (+1 extra GK) spots.

Malen/Bergwijn - Memphis/Luuk de Jong - Stengs/Berghuis

Wijnaldum/Ihattaren

F. de Jong/Koopmeiners - Klaassen/De Roon

Wijndal/Blind - Van Dijk/Ake - De Ligt/De Vrij - Dumfries/Hataboer

Cillessen/Krul/Drommel

Next in line:

GK - Bijlow
    Can he regain fitness & form in time, and make a surprise push at the expense of non-playing Cillessen? Bizot is not doing enough to silence his critics.

CB's - Botman, Schuurs
    Ake should probably be sweating over minutes, or lack thereof, although he has a huge wildcard being able to play as an emergency LB. Botman and Schuurs are surging, and would be hard to ignore especially if they guide their respective clubs to league titles. No way Virgil would miss out on the festivities (and his recovery has been on schedule, if not slightly ahead).

CM's - Gravenberch
    De Roon is a safe bet due to his experience and familiarity with the current squad, but Gravenberch is having a fine breaking-out season (part of me, having a massive talent in the final squad would be thrilling and exciting!)

AM's - Van De Beek
    I have Ihattaren now given that Van De Beek is struggling mightily to get meaningful minutes, while Mo is slowly finding his feet. And then there's the "Stengs" conundrum... will he be designated as an attacking midfielder, or forward playmaker? Doesn't matter to him, but likely matters to those behind him.

Attackers - Weghorst, Boadu, Babel, Promes, El Ghazi.
    Much like Ake and Van De Beek, Bergwijn's struggle in EPL could be a gift to the other contenders. Babel seems always to find a way to sneak in to FdB's squad. And Boadu could still yet find his form. Weghorst is scoring for fun, challenging hard the pinch-hitter role.

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    [Attack]

In my opinion Bergwijn shouldn’t be in there undisputedly. He’s not exactly lighting it up for the Spurs. He’s been decent at most, with an outlier here and there. His end-product leaves a lot to be desired.

I think Gakpo has been more impressive, and El Ghazi has also had a resurgence in recent games that could temporarily put him ahead of Bergwijn.

I also hope Boadu can make the necessary strides in order to give Berghuis the boot.
    As far as Stengs goes, I’d rather have him as a back-up AM to Ihattaren than as a winger. Babel and Promes should just stay far, far away from this squad.

[Midfield]

For some reason I have been developing a dislike for Donny as far as his impact on a game goes. He just looks average in that Manchester side and seems to be regressing more than anything. Not good enough for Oranje atm imo. Joey Veerman looks a lot more appealing atm.

I also hope Gravenberch keeps making strides and gets into the final squad. God knows I don’t want to see de Roon in there. He just stifles our attack everytime I see him play. Frustrating player imo.

Jury’s still out on Klaassen. Seems to do great in his role at Ajax, not as good for Oranje imo.

[Defense]

I really hope that Wijndal can cement himself as out starting LB. I also hope that Bakker can make it as the back-up. He was doing great at PSG until Tuchel started tweaking the formation before he got laid-off.

I also do not like Ake. I don’t think he’s an elite CB neither is he a good enough LB imo.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. If Botman carries on in this form than it would be a darn shame if Ake were to make it instead of him.

I also cringe at the sight of Hateboer in there. For crying out loud, how many more crappy performances does he have to put in in order to be booted out for good? I hope Karsdorp can take that back-up RB spot.

[GK]

I really don’t see why Cillessen should be the undisputed starter while not even starting for his own club. His credit is up. Time to give consistent starters a chance. Really hope Bijlow and Drommel make the cut.

DutchFanatic and wilson00 repped this.
  23. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Attack
    A fit Groeneveld Danjuma needs to be on that plane. Out of all the wingers he has got that X factor to make a difference especially in the knock out stages. He is currently injured with a hamstring problem and like I said, if he is injury free and continues from where he left off, he should be in. He is a gifted winger and hopefully the club card will not be used as an excuse to squash him aside.

So my front three would be :

Danjuma - Depay - Ihattaren

Midfield

The midfield needs to be explored with and without frenkie. The idea that MF should be centred around frenkie and with that LCM being his preferably position needs to change because the day he is not around or gets injured there can be a proven plan B and not experimenting on the last hour.

Koopmeiners together with frenkie also remains to be seen as to how effective they can be working together. Gravenberch would fall in the same boat as well if im not wrong. LCM.

I think alot will be concluded after the euros as to how the midfield should look.

Jpows repped this.
  24. We now have a lot of options to form the midfield, from a defensive pov to a very attacking one. Depending on the opponent the formation should be chosen.
    Considering Depay, I have a problem with his tendency to do trickeries, when direct play is better. In that regard Boadu is far more direct heading towards the box and in pulling the trigger whithout fancy moves. Boadu is slowly but gradually getting back to his last season's form. At the moment Depay has the edge, but unlike with Koeman, Depay hasnot got the lock in spot with de Boer.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands