UEFA investigates racist incident against Bayer 04

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Bayer04fan, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    UEFA to probe Bernabeu incidents

MADRID, Nov 25 (Reuters) - Real Madrid are being investigated by UEFA into alleged racist chanting at the Bernabeu Stadium during a Champions League game against Bayer Leverkusen.

Real's Estadio Santiago Bernabeu (StuartFranklin/GettyImages)

UEFA made Thursday's announcement a week after world governing body FIFA said it would investigate alleged racist jibes against England's black players during an international friendly with Spain at the same stadium.

'During the Group G game at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, fans were seen making Nazi salutes while racist chanting was heard, directed at Leverkusen's black players,' UEFA said on its website on Thursday.

The referee and match delegate did not include these incidents in their report on the 1-1 draw and UEFA said it would consider television evidence and other information before deciding whether to take any action.

Real Madrid issued a statement on Wednesday condemning racist behaviour but said they were unaware any incidents had taken place in the match.

The club said UEFA president Lennart Johansson, who watched the game alongside Real president Florentino Perez, had observed no problems.

Sky Sports News television images, reproduced on Thursday in the Spanish sports press, showed bare-chested members of Real Madrid's Ultra Sur group of radical fans making the Nazi salute during the clash against Bundesliga side Leverkusen.

Members of the Ultra Sur also directed monkey noises and racist insults at Leverkusen's black players Roque Junior and Juan, the Spanish media said.

The UEFA announcement comes in the midst of a debate over the extent of racism in Spanish football, ignited by the taunts in the England friendly which was won 1-0 by Spain.

The Spanish government was forced to apologise for fans' behaviour after British Prime Minister Tony Blair said he was 'very disappointed' by the chants.

With his team under close scrutiny, Real Madrid defender Roberto Carlos added his voice to a growing number of playing alleged racist behaviour by fans.

The Brazilian international said he was victim of racist chanting during Saturday's 3-0 away loss to arch-rivals Barcelona.

'The chants against me were racist treatment,' he was quoted as saying in sporting daily AS. 'I have always had respect for all fans and they have treated me well in Barcelona but I do not understand what happened on Saturday.

'It is pity that in the 21st century these things keep occurring,' he said

2. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    IMO, there is no reason or justification for allowing this kind of ignorant and childish behavior to continue. The Spanish FA nust come down on these idiots, I want to know what the Spanish plan to do about this problem. Ban those supporter groups that participate in such activites? It is a disgrace to football and the good fans who come out to support their clubs and countries. These kind of things also happen in Italy, France, England and now Spain. It is disgusting and has no place in sports.