UEFA Euro 2024 Draw Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Just seen Scotlands group, 12 group stages exits in a row for those boys you’d think, and not even a final against England!

roverman repped this.
  2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

But clearly better than Slovenia that finished 2nd in their qualifying group behind Denmark. To be honest, Denmark had no problem winning the games they were in need to win, but clearly lacked some "fire", speed and focus in the less important games, and so also were fielding some reserves and lost the last game away vs Northern Ireland, that had no importance. same happened in the last WC qualifiers, where Denmark won every game except for the very last one away vs. Scotland, which was also highly predictable.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hope wales don't qualify. Hope Scotland go out the group stage. Can't stand either of them

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Denmark are a very good team. No real individual talent but a well drilled side

5. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Don’t mind this group. Can’t claim to have watched any of these sides lately but I don’t think any of these sides are duds despite not being bit hitters.

Should provide us with at least a couple of much-needed tests but it’s still a group we need to win if we see ourselves as contenders for the trophy.

W.A.S.P., Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Actually I wouldn’t be that shocked if Scotland did get through. Their should be able to target a win and a draw vs Hungary and Switzerland,

AJ123 and hussar repped this.
  7. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Sure they could qualify, no team at the Euros is incapable of beating another. But they could easily lose against both, like they did last time. Let’s hope for a dozen group stage exits in a row.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Southgate very diplomatic in his reaction interview.

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Their will get very hyped playing in the opening match. At the 1998 World Cup BBC Scotland had about 6 hours of buildup for Brazil v Scotland as the opening match.

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Actually it's a bit the other way around, less of a team right now, but with some talented players to pick and chose from, who are on fire for their club teams. Jonas Wind may not ring a bell in England, but he is 4th in the top scorers list in the German Bundesliga, and to say that a player like Højlund is a good team player but lack individual talent, would clearly be wrong.

horrisengleton and roverman repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Switzerland are a good team and wouldn’t expect Scotland to get through to be honest.

Then again, let’s see who they manage to poach to improve their chances…….

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not saying Denmark have no ability. Just no superstars

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Neither did Hungry and they slammed us 4-0 at home a few years back…I certainly wouldn’t take anything for granted.

Gregoire1 and roverman repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    roverman is at his ‘downplaying the opposition’ stage but when it’s still 0-0 after 20 minutes of our first game -

[​IMG]

W.A.S.P., AJ123, roverman and 3 others repped this.
  15. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So what does our route to the final look like if games follow expected seeded ranking? I have us seeing France in the SF and maybe a Spain/Italy QF?

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I do not really like the word "Superstar", because these players are often big "name" players in their mid-late 20, if not even in their 30's. Everyone know a Christian Eriksen, but Denmark do have some Super-talents, like a Højlund who is only 20. It's usually so that when Denmark show up at a tournament, there will be young players you never heard of before, and they will be the impressive ones, and not the "names" you already know of.

roverman repped this.
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

Fireburn47 repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #69 Fireburn47, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    Lots of repeated match ups. Germany and Hungary have each other again so do Netherlands and Austria.

20. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    The Swiss are really good in tournaments. I can’t think of any non-elite nation that’s maximised their talent like they have in the last few years.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  21. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Croatia?

Fireburn47 repped this.
  22. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I’d class them as an elite nation in Europe at least given what they’ve done of late.

23. sharmichael

sharmichael Member

England
    Jun 13, 2023
    We can't have any complaints, but it is funny that social media is already circle-jerking about what a lucky draw we've had. Our group is really no easier than the ones Belgium, Germany and Portugal find themselves in. Denmark seem to be a perennial dark horse unless they play England, at which point they become a minnow who any half-decent team ought to be swatting aside with aplomb.

roverman and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #74 Fireburn47, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/0275-151eb1c333ea-d30deec67b13-1000--euro-2024-match-schedule/

Times out.
    Serbia v England 20.00 BST - Sunday 16th June.
    Denmark v England 17.00 BST - Thursday 20th June
    England v Slovenia - 20.00 BST - Tuesday 25th June

If we we the group then we play.
    Last 16- Sunday 30th June 17.00 BST
    Quarter Final - Saturday 6th July - 17.00 BST
    Semi Final - Wednesday 10th July - 20.00 BST

If we Runners Up
    Last 16- Saturday 29th June 20.00 BST
    Quarter Final - Friday 5th July - 17.00 BST
    Semi Final - Tuesday 9th July - 20.00 BST

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    As a United fan I have to say that calling Hojlund a super-talent is extremely generous. I would reserve such a title for players like Bellingham and Pedri in his age group. I wouldn't be surprised if he totally flops at United. He's a had a couple of good performances in the CL against (what should've been) weaker sides that play a high-line where he can use his pace (which is impressive). Against deeper more pragmatic sides in the PL he's looked pretty poor and has failed to register a goal yet. I feel a bit sorry for him because no striker wants to go so far into the season without scoring and it's fair to say the general poor performance of the team isn't helping him.

That said I expect Denmark to be a very tough game and you'll be wanting a bit of revenge for the last Euros!

Gregoire1 and roverman repped this.