UEFA Euro 2020: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #1 BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    1200px-England_national_football_team_crest.svg.png
    [​IMG]

Schedule -
    Schedule.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotta say I'm really looking forward to this tournament.

My team has had an awful season, so really just hoping we can get through the next two weeks without any injuries and have a go at this.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    4 weeks today. Can hardly believe it. Im really positive this summer. I think semi finals is realistic

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  4. AddickInThe6

AddickInThe6 Member

Charlton Athletic
    England
    May 11, 2021
    Toronto, Canada
    Really looking forward to the Euro's this year. - So, probably means we will have a nightmare & go out at the group stages.
    Hoping for a positive & attacking England. Not expecting (but still hoping) anything beyond that.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking forward to seeing how we play with the gifted playmakers and attackers we have

sadly, our centre halves leave something to be desired. The midfield combination has to work for us to suceed

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think our centrehalves are as bad as people make out. Stones and maguire (if fit) are a good combo. Mings is pretty poor but Keane is decent. Coady has always stepped up. Tomori konsa could easily do well.

7. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    There's enough depth there, there's just no top quality players. Stones is always liable to a mistake and Maguire is as fast as a snail (but our most reliable performer there). Our backups are about a similar standard, all fairly average. I'd like to see the likes of Godfrey, Konsa and Tomori in but they won't make it, hopefully they'll be fast tracked for the World Cup in 2022 as I think they will all reach a high level if they keep developing and playing week in week out. If Gomez comes back from injury with no issues then there are four players there all 23 years old with the potential to play for England.

I also think the GK situation is similar, three goalkeepers all of a similar level but no standouts. In DM I rate Rice very highly but don't think Phillips should be starting and would much prefer if Southgate played one holding midfielder (Rice) and two more attack minded players alongside him. Hopefully Grealish is now fit and can play 90 minutes a couple of times before the season ends, if so he goes over Lingard 100%. For me TAA doesn't just go but starts, but as much as I want it to happen it's quite likely it won't.

This is our strongest team imo:

GK Henderson
    RB TAA
    CB Stones
    CB Maguire
    LB Shaw
    DM Rice
    CM Mount
    CM Foden
    LW Grealish
    RW Sterling
    ST Kane

Subs
    GK Pickford
    GK Pope
    RB James/Trippier/Walker
    CB Keane
    CB Coady/Mings
    LB Chilwell
    DM Phillips
    CM Ward Prowse
    CM Bellingham
    LW Rashford
    LW Saka
    RW Greenwood
    RW Sancho
    ST Calvert Lewin
    ST Watkins/Ings

However, while I think that squad is fairly close to being accurate (though I think he'll take 2 of Walker, James and Trippier and probably leave out one of the attacking players), I don't think that will be the team. I think he'll play Rice and Phillips, won't play TAA and possibly won't even take him, and only play 3 attack minded players. Hope I'm wrong though.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The issue we have is you need a high line with creative midfielders as you probe for openings. The biggest issue with our cbs is pace. That’s why I like tomori

if we stick to that 343 then you can play plodders

roverman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rashford has to start over sterling. Hes been in better form and he offers a lot more

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would go with pickford Shaw maguire (?) Stones walker. Rice Bellingham mount rashford kane grealish

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So you leave out Foden? Bellingham isn’t ready for starting games for us just yet in my opinion.

Pickford
    Walker
    Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire
    Rice
    Mount
    Foden
    Grealish
    Kane
    Rashford/Sancho

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Tough choice. To be honest I forgot about foden. Just shows the strength in depth

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Rice starts for West Ham tonight.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Do we have any faith in southgate naming the right squad? What i mean is will he shock us by leaving out grealish for example? Or not including someone like Greenwood. Or not bringing sancho back? Will taa get recalled? I have a feeling there will be some disappointment in his selections

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There is bound to be controversial decisions, it’s basically impossible for Southgate to please everyone. For example, the right back options are bound to be questioned as he can’t pick all of them. Also the attacking midfield options and wide players and forwards, hell even centre back options. There’s going to be a lot of disappointed Club fans whatever the outcome.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Welbeck again, classy finish! Won’t get selected but just saying but his all round game is very good at the moment! We could do a lot worse.

W.A.S.P. and scholesyyy repped this.
  17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I go back and forth on this. Obviously it's a risk to start a 17-year-old, especially alongside two 22-year-olds in Rice and Mount... but when the likely alternatives are Ward-Prowse and a slightly out-of-position Phillips, is Bellingham not the best performing player of the three? I have little doubt that he's the most talented.

W.A.S.P., roverman and scholesyyy repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I do too, I get excited about the way he played against City in those two games in the Champions League and then when I watch him pretty much week in week out in the Bundesliga he’s great a lot of the time but he does have games when he’s not that consistent. This might be tame and I hope I’m wrong but I just worry about his tackling as I think he’s a red card waiting to happen even though he’s already been sent off. I just think once he matures his talent will undoubtably come through but just at the moment I would worry about it. I think that’s the reason he got subbed at halftime in the German Cup final.

ChristianSur repped this.
  19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Only once though, in 40-odd games. Those are Vieira numbers, not Cattermole numbers.

roverman repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think the attacking midfield options and forwards should be cut and dried. Grealish Greenwood foden sancho kane sterling mount rashford dcl.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think the dynamism that Bellingham has makes up for his lack of experience and maturity just yet. In a must-win game I would still play Phillips ahead of him.

TopBanana10 and ChristianSur repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We all doubted Rooney before euro 2004. That tournament made him

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thats true but there are games when I wince at his tackles, kind of reminds me of Rooney when he was a kid. Still, the consistency needs to be better with his performances in my opinion but that’s completely understandable for his age. Don’t get me wrong, top talent though and will be an England International for years to come but just not sure at present.

roverman and ChristianSur repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would take him as one of the 3 though

25. Interesting listening to Martin Samuel on the Mail football podcast, recorded yesterday.

He still doesn't expect TAA to be in the squad.

And even more interesting, says :

"Sancho is the one. There's a difference between what you hear and what you can write. But people are hearing he could be the one to miss out"