UEFA.com: Donovan returns to Bayer

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by StillKickin, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    I can't wait to see how the best player US has ever produced perform day in and day out against the world's finest players.I have all the confidence in the world in LD.

2. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, what's the length of that contract? Wouldn't it be safe to surmise at this point that BL wants to see him play in person, before committing to extending it or selling him? Not arguing, just thinking out loud. ;^)

As an extension to this...if Beasley was receiving interest from English clubs (Southhampton, I believe) as well as PSV, why can't we suspect that there are other European clubs interested in LD? My guess is that Bayer has received some 'overtures' for LD from other clubs over the last year or so.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Yanks Abroad And USSoccerUK Report Donovan Back To Leverkusen Janurary 1st

yanks-abroad.com

ussocceruk.com

Saw someone else got a thread up. Delete, merge, whatever.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Yanks Abroad And USSoccerUK Report Donovan Back To Leverkusen Janurary 1st

Yep. Just saw the news too.

I'd like to see Donovan's reaction.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Landon's contract with Bayer runs for antoher 3.5 years.... through the end of the 2008 season. With each 2 year loan to MLS, Bayer extended his contract by teh same 2 years.

They've seen him play many times, just not with those in Leverkusen or against Bundesliga teams. They've seen him in MLS and with the national team.

I understand the thinking - germany is possibly not the best fit for Donovan's game,. I'm sure there are other teams interested in Donovan, but if they want him, they're going to have to buy him from Leverkusen and from the reports I've read they aren't "looking" to sell him. Doesnt' mean they wont, but probably means they aren't actively seeking offers so anyone that wants Landon will have to approach them first.

6. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Already a thread on this...

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

That's why I said to delete this one. :p

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Why would Bayer sell LD unless he forced them to, regardless of whether there is interest from other Euro teams?

He's probably one of the best U23 midfielders in the world for God's sake! A team like Bayer doesn't sell young talent to bigger clubs...they are THE BIG CLUB!

When they say they want LD back and that he will play, they mean it.

LD may want to be sold in January and Bayer would probably consider it as they have been clear that they do not want a disgruntled player.

However, you will no see them sell LD to anyone unless HE DEMANDS IT.

They are much more likely to sell one of their older midfielders before they sell a 22 y/o.

9. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes - no idea his contract ran that long. Hope they like him. ;^)

Thanks, Wahoo.

10. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    tAnk u

me smat nOt today

no Tv ant beere mak TaKK a vere dumb boy

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I wonder if Landon just wanted to get out of MLS before SJ might contracted. Take it for what you will, but Bergin is saying on his site that SJ is "effectivley dead" now that Amanapour pulled his bid out.

12. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Because Landon, like Tiger, is pulling much finer tail than he deserves. My German is pretty poor though.

14. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe it's because they're both balding on their foreheads

15. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon will rip some ass up in Germany I am sure of that. Leverkusen want him back for a reason and I bet they a sure he is a player that can help them win. You look at Landon's accomplishments in his young career and you must realise this is no ordinary player. Leverkusen surely know he is one of the cream of the United State's crop and that is not too shabby.

16. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this hurts... :( but he's going to do fabulous over there.

And a side note... SJ is by no means dead!

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Doesn't he have a hot girlfriend? ;)

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Uh, hello Yanks-Abroad......Bayer and Bavaria have nothing to do w/each other...

Landon has more rights for a guy who has no rights of any guy I've ever seen.... :)

19. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  20. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Hope he'll have more success this time...

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

well, Bavaria won't have anything to do with anyone... :)

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Re: What's the Deal with Landon & Germany

Landon also needs to play his cards right here.

BLeverkusen wants to make a go of their investment. They are being accomodating. If Landon wants happy teammates, teammates that will help him w/the transition, he best not make any more special requests or demands- sounds like BLeverkusen are ALREADY doing more then they would for any ol' player- that alone could breed resentment ('who the hell does this kid think he is')

Landon needs to go now, shut up, appreciate the extra attention, get his head in the game, and display the superior skills that could/should lead to a starting/important role and a good 1/2 season. Leave the tantrums, "I want's", etc. in the US. Forget that first bad experience. Turn the page, and play your game.

I have no doubt Landon has the talent to be a major contributor for Leverkusen...its everything else that could fawrk it up. Landon best be in head-down, hard work mode from the get-go.

23. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
    Re: What's the Deal with Landon & Germany

The general consensus on the Leverkusen boards that I've looked at is that they're hoping that he can replace Ponte (don't know what position he plays) in the starting eleven... most people remember him from the world cup and have been very aware that he was due back (a few 'FINALLY's).

24. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I think Landon will actually like his experience this time.

25. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    BL might take a few games to integrate LD into the line up -- play him in a reserve match or two -- bring him off the bench for a couple matches but I think they'll give him the time -- right now BL are 8th on the table, which is underperforming for them -- they need to try something new and hopefully that something is LD -- if they were dominating the league and didn't have any issues I'd worry about him getting playing time, but thats not the case. I think Landon's got the talent, he just needs to bring a good attitude, thats my only worry.

malk