UEFA CL, M3 :: FC Barcelona v Rubin Kazan :: 20 Ocotber 09 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Tuesday, 20 October 09, 20:45, Barcelona Time

Tuesday, 20 October 09, 11:45, LA Time

Click here to convert to your local time

Where?

Camp NOU

[​IMG]

Current Form

FC Barcelona

home WWWWW

Rubin Kazan

away WWLDL

Past Meetings

• While this is Rubin's first match against a Spanish club, Barcelona have recorded three wins and one defeat in four previous home fixtures against Russian opponents.

Match background(UEFA.com)

• The holders' last match against Russian opposition was a UEFA Champions League first group stage meeting with FC Lokomotiv Moskva at Camp Nou on 23 October 2002.
    • Frank de Boer scored the only goal for a team that included Carles Puyol and Xavi Hernández. Víctor Valdés and Andrés Iniesta were on the Barcelona bench.
    • The current coach and director of football at Camp Nou – Guardiola and Txiki Begiristain – were in the Barcelona side defeated by CSKA in the UEFA Champions League second round in 1992/93. Although Begiristain scored in both legs, Barcelona's 3-2 home loss ended their trophy defence, denying them a place in the group stage.
    • Rubin did not compete in UEFA club competition before 2004. Outside of qualifying rounds and UEFA Intertoto Cup ties, they have played only two away games in European competition proper and lost both, going down to SK Rapid Wien in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup first round and then losing at FC Dynamo Kyiv on Matchday 1.

Team ties - UEFA

• Barcelona forward Thierry Henry had mixed fortunes against Russian clubs in the UEFA Champions League with former club Arsenal FC. He appeared against FC Spartak Moskva, Lokomotiv Moskva and CSKA, winning two, losing two and drawing two. He found the net once, in Arsenal's 1-0 home win against Spartak in the 2000/01 second group stage.• Barcelona full-back Daniel Alves was in the Sevilla FC side that beat Lokomotiv home and away in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup round of 32. He also made three trips to FC Zenit St. Petersburg with Sevilla, but never finished on the winning side.
    • Rubin captain Sergei Semak suffered twice at the hands of Barcelona's Spanish internationals Iniesta, Puyol and Xavi at UEFA 2008™. Semak's Russia side succumbed 4-1 to Spain in their opening group game and then 3-0 in the semi-final, where Xavi scored the first goal.
    • César Navas began his career in Real Madrid CF's B team. He later played for Málaga CF, Catalonia's Club Gimnàstic de Tarragona and Real Racing Club Santander prior to joining Rubin earlier this year.
    • One of Navas's final appearances for Racing came in a 2-1 home loss to Barcelona in February.

Visca el Barça

2. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: UEFA CL, M3 :: FC Barcelona v Rubin Kazan :: 20 Ocotber 09 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [

General Statistics

[​IMG]

Scoring Times

[​IMG]

Players

[​IMG]

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: UEFA CL, M3 :: FC Barcelona v Rubin Kazan :: 20 Ocotber 09 :: Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [

Here we go Barca here we go! *clap clap*

4. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Rubin Kazan have won their match in the Russian Primer League and are still leading the table...

[​IMG]

5. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

The referees' team for this match has been announced...

Referee
    Laurent Duhamel
    (FRANCE)
    [​IMG]

Assistant referees
    Stéphane Duhamel (FRANCE)
    Christophe Capelli (FRANCE)​

Fourth official
    Lionel Jaffredo (FRANCE)

Let us hope that they aren't Lyon fans... ;)

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

GOAL

7. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Oh, this match is at home. Let's see if we can return to our brilliant football. I'm looking forward to watching this match, which in Canada is on Sportsnet Pacific (or West). I'm running late, so I can't check which channel for sure, but it's one or the other, or both. Funny enough, despite being in a rush, I found time to come on here and see what's up with my favourite club, Barcelona.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Monday training at Camp Nou

Alves loves playing in goal!
    [​IMG]

Messi and Yaya
    [​IMG]

Alves and Keita
    [​IMG]

The boys look relaxed!

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have to be, after that tense draw with Valencia!

It's good to see, especially the Ebony & Ivory pic of Messi and Yaya. :p

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zlatan is looking unlikely for this match. :(

We need to put this out of doubt as soon as possible. There's too many other things going on to have to worry about getting to the CL knockout stages on top of it. Messi only really stepped it up in the 2nd half of the Valencia match imo, he needs to unleash in the 1st half of this one.

11. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I really think we should have Messi start on the bench and bring him on only if needed. Watching his performance in the last game for La Seleccion of Argentina against Uruguay (just a week ago) and against Valencia and reading all of the news articles, I think it would be good to take a little pressure off of him. This gets tougher to do with Zlatan maybe not starting though.

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wanted Messi to come off the bench for the Valencia match too. Maybe this Ibra injury is worse than was reported.

13. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América

Any word on the projected lineup?

14. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

:eek:
    Alves - Piqué - Puyol - Maxwell
    Toure
    Xavi - Keita
    Messi - Ibrahimovic - Iniesta

15. TOTOMUNDI

TOTOMUNDI New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I hope we finish them off in the first half. Then, Messi can rest.

We need to make sure to be top of the group and the matches with Rubin and Dinamo will be very important.

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like it. What a huge match for both teams, but especially Rubin Kazan playing a Spanish side for the first time in Europe. Bring out the big guns. I hope Ibra can actually go!

17. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone know where the "Rubin" comes from in this club's name? The only thing I get for "Rubin" and "Russia" in google is the designer of the Soviet era ballistic missile system, which would be an . . . interesting . . . thing to be named for.

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, "Rubin" means "Ruby" in "Russian."

There's also this:

http://www.ckb-rubin.ru/eng/index.htm

Something to do with marine engineering, apparently.

On a side note, I've been leisurely reading Inverting The Pyramid and it's funny (funny peculiar, not funny ha ha) how in the stories about managers and clubs from USSR, there's always an external factor in the form of "the party" when it comes to hirings and firings and the like.

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Confirmed starting lineup

Valdés
    Alves -- Piqué -- Márquez -- Abidal
    Touré
    Xavi -- Iniesta
    Messi -- Ibrahimovic -- Pedro​

Substitutes:
    Pinto, Puyol, Maxwell, Busquets, Keita, Bojan, Jeffren

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ibra is starting.

Confirmed starting lineup of destruction CONFIRMED! :D

21. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Confirmed starting lineup

I like this lineup. :)

22. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Are you enjoying that book? I bought it based on positive reviews on BigSoccer and I've only read about a 100 pages or so, but I can't say I've gotten much out of it (I'm just past the chapter on the Hungarians). What I was hoping was for really detailed explanations about how teams played, but it seems to be too heavy on the personalities behind the tactics and not so much on the tactics themselves. Maybe I'm just dense or don't have enough of a foundation in soccer history, but it seems to be that it just explains the formation of great teams and describes how they played generally (i.e. the Hungarians in the 50s played a 4-2-4 and passed a lot with Hidegkuti as a withdrawn striker). This is one of those situations where I think a movie (with old game footage and lots of diagrams) would be better than a book.

Sorry, I know this is way Off Topic for the Rubin Kazan match thread :eek:

23. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América

QUESTION!

so what channels this gonna be on in the states....goltv or espndeportes?

meh either way, hook it up with the streams when the time comes plz :)

24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Neither. You're definitely going to have to stream this one.

25. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

:eek:

0-1