PBP: UEFA Champions League | Matchday 1 | AS Roma v FC Barcelona | 16 September 2015 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Sep 14, 2015.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, I realize. I was just playing devil's advocate. Like I said, I feel both goalkeepers came through when needed last season.

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Depends on whom one asks. It's the club's good if the buy-out is high, it's the player's advantage if the clause is low. Who knows what were Pedro's demands when he signed his Barca contract, but in general, player has more say in where he plays and what kinda salary he might get if the buy-out is low, as then it's more between the player and the buyer, and the current club has less power on him.

3. MadridistaElComanche

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've just joined and I just wanted to add/question something here, not to try to stirr anything up, but I don't see the point in the hating part of it... I too would be very passionate about my club, sometimes those emotions get the best of you during a match, but I think the hating would be taking it a bit too far, especially with players from your own team, seems unecessary, and the fun goes away in that. And I lash out, or have in the past with players enough, but I wouldn't call it or want it to be hate, thats not part of the whole cool attraction thing about being a football fan.

This is probably semantics (for some), but I see a fine line between hating and heavily criticising, since hate just is such a strong word. I have felt like slapping players, but its still all good, just me cooking.. lol.

unclesox repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lets not get crazy. Mario Mandzukic is around the same age as Pedro and also a useful player but got squeezed out of a super-talented squad in similar way as Pedro. He was sold for €19.

I see Pedro being sold by Chelsea in a year or two for something like €10.

5. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    forgot to reply to that ... as you know when our CB's pass the ball between them sometimes they get pressured and have to go back to our GK to switch sides so Bravo or whoever it is needs to stand far ahead to be able to receive those passes , i shouldn't explain this to you since you already know it ( anyone who watched barca play for 1 game would know not for years ... ) and it's really making me upset that you try to blame Bravo for something he isn't responsible for ...

i'll say it again , MATS was far ahead WHILE the Roma player had the ball not when OUR players had it and both Pique AND Mathieu was covering Dzeko with no threat what so ever for any crosses or through passes , two completely different situations.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    \
    That's because it gets old quick if 99% of your posts are complaining about the same things over and over. It's not hard to see why you'd start getting ignored. All I have to do is go back to the over the top complaining about LEs decisions in the Supercopa games vs Athletic.

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 Gilmango, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    So what I think happened is this. Bartomeu was eager to win the election and also did not want another Alves situation where a player played out his contract and could leave for free (Pedro had one year left, till 2016 on his contract). Barto knew resigning Pedro (and Alves) would boost his chances for re-election, and make sure that if Pedro left the club would at least get paid.

Pedro, however, was reluctant to re-sign as SNM were all virtually assured of starting unless injured/suspended. His minutes had gone down as had his importance to the team. But, with the transfer ban in place, he knew the team was unlikely sell him until at least January (when the ban ended). His buyout was then 150M in the contract which ended in 2016.

Thus a compromise was reached. He re-signed through 2019 or 2020 and that is all that the headlines stated. They showed him shaking hands with Barto and helped Barto win the election. However, he and his agent insisted that his buyout be lowered to a reasonable 30M (and they also likely received assurances from the club that they would in fact negotiate a sale at that price which saves the buyer taxes). But this was not released to the press until after the election. So effectively his re-signing was actually what allowed him to leave. Barto won the election but then had to sell Pedro provided there was a buyer for 30M. ManU f&cked around and tried to low ball Barca then Jose/Roman/Cesc swooped in and in doing so hurt CL and EPL rivals Barca and ManU. Perhaps Barto really thought Lucho and his teammates and winning would convince Pedro to stay. But to me it looks like he made a bad decision: sign Pedro to help me win the election and to assure that when Pedro leaves we will at least get 30M for him (rather than him leaving for free in a year) which allowed Pedro to leave at a time when we could not replace him (till at least January) and did not have sufficient depth at forward.

Rana catesbeiana and evil_allan repped this.
  8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    yea, that all sounds very plausible.

man, Barto sure lucked out with the timing of the elections.

9. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So we only get one opportunity per person/incident to demonstrate our frustration? And when that's done we keep quiet no matter the same person makes same mistake? And if I remember that was the first time I criticised him in months probably after he stopped the rotation frenzy and Barça started playing entertaining with results and all you remember is the Super Copa... Which in all honesty got him looooots of heat and not just from one single person and deservedly so after his lineup away. But ok I'll never complain about Lucho again, even if he brings Barça to segunda cause I've apparently exhausted my Lucho complaining privileges. Doesn't make sense at all.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just saying, if most posts are just complaining about the same things over and over without a balance of non complaining posts, it gets old an easy to just dismiss it. Having said that, I never thought of consciously ignoring anyone based on that myself. But I guess it's only natural that for example, people won't be replying to the Ter Stegen issue over and over.

11. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    hey @Forzabarca i think what celito was trying to say here that if you complain about how you hate lucho's formation and subs you need to balance it out by saying you like his shoes and hair style :D

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously though. You guys can post whatever you want. It's a free forum. It's not a problem to me to be honest. Just don't complain about not getting attention :D

I've been a fan since circa 2004. I guess I am lucky I've lived through this team's best period. I can't imagine you guys being a fan through the underachieving years. Must have been a lot of stress !!!!

unclesox repped this.
  13. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    since 1988 here , i don't think i have ever been not annoyed by at least one coach or player in every single freaking season since that year , it's like there is always at least one ********er who pisses the shit out of me every year but well .. i can't do anything but vent about it to get it out of my system , otherwise i'll explode :D

Forzabarca repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I remember you saying your stress had something to do with your job :D

15. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Retired last year , now the only stress i get is from MATS and co , thank god it's limited to once to twice max a week :oops:

Forzabarca and Gilmango repped this.
  16. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    lol :D

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Or you could not get suspiciously quiet whenever Suarez or MATS does something right. :whistling: Did your internet cut out around 3:05ET on Wednesday?:unsure: ;)

unclesox repped this.
  18. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    you mean the goal ? the 1 yard from goal header tab in ? you seriously want me to praise him for that ?!?!?! if you literally put a donkey in that position he would've been able to do the same thing :cautious:

morrissey repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggle.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's the case for every Suarez goal though. You go silent. Even the winner in the CL final. Okay that was also technically a tap-in but he had to beat the Juve defender to the ball, despite beginning the play further from the ball. And many other important goals in the CL knockout stage.

21. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    are you freaking kidding me right now ?!?!?! Rakitic was going to tab it in and Suarez just stole it from him , even if Suarez wasn't even there it would've been a goal for Rakitic and i said that before in the game post , but i guess you conveniently decided to go blind there and not see what exactly happened or what i have written about it ... :cautious:

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #122 BocaFan, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    ^ See what I mean? Look how you describe it: "stole it from him". Suarez got there first despite being the third-closest person to the ball when the ball left Buffon's hands. There was a Juve defender right there so its not like Luis could just be nice and leave the ball for Rakitic. You describe it like it was a 2-on-zero or something. o_O

PS... you also praised Rakitic for a similar tap-in earlier in that CL final. Great consistency. :cautious:

23. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

you need to know something about me then , when a player fails 9 out of 10 shots , 9 out of 10 passes , 9 out of 10 dribbles , 9 out of 10 etc etc , i'm not going to praise him for the one freaking time that he did it right ...

I only make exceptions when the player is from La Masia and he is just starting up because he needs time to adjust to the team and even develop as a player gaining experience from games

Suarez is not a young or inexperienced , when he fails miserably to control a ball or make a pass or even shoot i face-palm because there are many players who don't take so many tries to get it right , this is not a Segunda division club and i expect for whoever plays for us to be at least competent to have the skill to pull something basic off from the first try not the freaking 10th or 20th or 30th ....

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nice attempt to try to legitimize your inconsistency but it is not a mathematically sound defense. The stats (goals, assists, player ratings, etc.) are there for everyone to see. For e.g. his "WhoScored" rating lies mid-way between Neymar's 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, it is higher than Rakitic' and way higher than Pedro's.

25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You with ter Stegen.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

celito repped this.