UCSB-VCU Quarterfinal [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by gaucho, Dec 4, 2004.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the capacity of the stadium? From the various pictures found here:
    http://fascha.smugmug.com/gallery/308772/1
    it looks like the staduim was only open on one side.

Great crowd, I wonder how many went to both the basketball and soccer games?

2. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having grown up in Los Angeles, it was amazing to me when I moved to St. Louis for my last two years of high school in the late 70's. I played my HS and college soccer in the St. Louis area, and the experience changed my life. The town is the greatest soccer city in America, and those Bronze Boot games were the biggest games in America. Sadly, SIU-E has not continued to be a top DI program like SLU, and the luster of that mid season game was lost. Indeed, it was all local boys playing for bragging rights that lasted a lifetime. I was at that 1980 game, and for the record, they had "Air Supply" play after the game. That was one of the last 'big' games between those two. By the late 80's SIU-E was a shell of its former self. I still play in the local men's league here in San Diego with many of my former St. Louis area teammates and opponents.

And I will be at the HDC for the Final Four. I am a Galaxy season ticket holder, although we had to buy these seperately. Ironically, we are having a soccer reunion of sorts for the guys I played with in St. Louis on Friday the 10th. Lunch at the Stadium Club, 12:30. Guys are coming from all over the country. We would love to be a part of a new record crowd..

My sister played soccer at Westmont (many moons ago) and her husband is a UCSB alum so I guess I'm a Santa Barbara fan this weekend. Go Gauchos!

3. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either 16K or 17K, depending on the source.

4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thrown a few of my own photos onto the web:

http://www.stevendeeley.com/UCSBSoccer.htm

I believe that one side of the stadium is kept closed so that the teams don't have to walk thru a tunnel below the fans. In the early 80's, UCLA came to town and a few Bruins and then-coach Sigi Schmidt got a nice beer shower on their way to the dressing room at halftime. The coach and a few of the Bruins then proceeded to "pull a Ron Artest" on a few of the fans... I've always respected Sigi for backing his players like that!

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Isn't Jim Rome from UCSB? I'd think even that waste of space will have to give them some radio time if it is his alma mater.