UConn/UNLV [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by NorthGoalGang, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I've heard is that we've actually posted 2 strong outings after the Seton Hall debacle. I haven't been out to UCONN yet but I'm anxious to see them. I'm real happy that Fernandez is back. They missed his pace and attitude.

2. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    I went Friday night, and they are definitely an offensive force. When they're on the attack, it's something to watch. They seem quicker and bigger this season. They were just forcing American's players off the ball. I think they'll match up well against some of the tougher teams they face this season, barring some of their late-game vapor locks on defense.

3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the lineup look like? I assume that Thomas and the swedish kid are starting in the middle with McLeod on the right and Thornton on the left, but can't figure out the midfield at all. Is Curtis still behind the two forwards? Is Peccorelli on the right or the left? Who's the d-mid? And it's Ralph and Cuellar up top, right?

4. Andy_E

Andy_E Member

Jun 18, 2002
    DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly off topic...

Does anyone have any more news on the status of the North and South goal bleachers?

To me it didn't look like they have any intentions of replacing them. There are now several bushes planted behind each goal where the bleachers would be.

The atmosphere seemed to suffer on Friday night. It was great for the first half in which all of the students were able to gather in one section. In the second half some of the students (including myself) moved to the other end of the bleachers to be closer to the American goalie (which was a regular routine last year, moving from the North to the South goal at halftime). There just isn't enough space to move everyone and the atmosphere wasn't nearly as good.

It really is a shame that Lew Perkins feels the need to ruin things just because someone is having fun. Now the students are mixed in with the families, and I can't see good things coming from this. I was embarrassed to hear a ten year old girl behind me pick up on the "ohhhhhhh you suck" chant.

5. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Two of my friends made seperate inquiries into this. One called Ray Reid's office and asked about it. They said that they would be gone this season, but they wanted to build a new stand and it would hopefully be there for next season.

Another of my friends actually spoke to someone in the athletic department. This person said that the North Goal stand was closed because of safety issues. They are planning to build a new structure for next season, which would feature a stand, locker rooms and bathrooms. But they need to raise $500K to do it. In other words, you'll be in North Goal again when your kids are going to UConn.

It does suck, especially when I see the stands on the softball field going unused. Some temporary stands could have been brought in as well. I agree that the North Goal stands were really rickety, but not replacing them, even in the short term, was ridiculous and a slap in the face to many long-time supporters. At least the Friends of Soccer got a little more breathing room in the tent to let the brie breathe. Bastards.