UConn - St. John's (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by johnh00, Sep 14, 2006.

1. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game's on FSC. No score, so far, in the 42nd minute.

St. John's has had the better of possession, but UConn has had better chances. UConn is playing a serious amount of Rte. 1 soccer - lot's of long balls out of the back.

Lee

2. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    Please, somebody score quick so Sean won't be able to say "nil-nil" anymore!

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    58th minute, still 0-0....sorry, nil-nil. :p

This game has all the makings of a scoreless draw. Both teams are playing very defensively, and the weather isn't helping.

4. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a few chances here and there. Both teams are being tight on defense and the forwards aren't necessarily challenging the defenders too much. Overtime is looming in the near future with 12 minutes left in the second half.

5. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Neither team uses midfield to make plays much. Knocking balls up top to forwards, and most of the those balls are poor. Thought U Conn had a top flight forward, at least by those on the board? Doesn't look comfortable or skilled 1v1 at all. Don't don't how you can be a top flight striker without very good attacking skills. He looks athletic though..

6. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    Posession in the midfield has been lacking for UConn this season. That really hurts O'Brien White and Chijindu.

Anyone with FSC- how has UConn's keeper looked?

7. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Kid just made a really nice run with the ball through the midfield.

8. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    Every time these teams play, I am shocked when somebody scores.

0-0 final.

No goals in 220 minutes on FSC the last 2 years between UConn and St. John's.

9. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    Typical SJU game. 0-0 I probably should have bet my lifesavings on that scoreline for this game!

10. politicks

politicks New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    California
    Priestly (don't know if name is spelled right) for UConn has great foot skills!

11. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sangeloty looked pretty solid. I heard about his gaffe in one of his last games, but he came out well and confident, which was great considering he's a freshmen and the bad weather conditions.

12. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams should just make the trip, call it a tie ahead of time and go out for a nice dinner. Same result either way.

13. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming you are talking about O'Brian White. He's definitely athletic, but I think he's suffering a little because of what someone says in a later post. He's not getting any feeds from the midfield right now. It's mostly long ball. Against SJU that may have been the only way to get a goal because of their good mifield defenders. Chijindu looked to get hurt in the first half, came back in the second half, but didn't play nearly as well as he usually does, so I'm assuming his injury was nagging him. IMO White (Sophomore) reminds me of Damani Ralph when he was at the same age.

14. kevin1414

kevin1414 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    These two teams shouldn't be allowed to play their game on TV next year. It is an example our detractors will use as a reason to not show college soccer. They stunk last year, we gave them a second chance, and there shouldn't be a third.

Hopefully the ACC teams will play no defense tonight as usual and give us a 4-3 thriller.

15. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only seen him play a few times, but I thought the same thing about White reminding me of Ralph.

Last night's game was brutal, although it did open up toward the end. UConn's central defenders looked pretty solid, but their outside backs had tough games. I can see why they went route 1 - anytime they tried to advance the ball from the outside backs, they gave it away. Anytime they tried to build up through central midfield, SJ swarmed them. Their right midfielder had some serious wheels though... they should have used him more - he beat his man with speed a number of times.

St. John's played a much better possession game, but that was kind of easy with the way UConn bunkered. They didn't seem to have any answer for beating the bunker. Their midfield was very good defensively - UConn had a tough time advancing the ball through midfield at all. I wasn't as impressed with their backline - they gave up a few silly fouls just outside the penalty area, even though the UConn player was typically going in 1v4 or 2v4. Their keeper(and UConn's, too) was very good.

Lee

16. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Karl Schilling and Julius James in the center, it's a tough route to go to get to goal. James is just one cool character with the ball. As for never showing these two teams again, that's a tough call but I see the point. Not everyone sees the beauty in a 0 - 0 game. Even the announcers said something to the effect of "you won't see a 5 -4 game out of these two teams against eachother". Obviously SJ is an opponent that I would like to beat, but props to the SJ crowd for braveing the weather. I could hear them on TV almost the entire game, whether it's a 0 - 0 game or not.

17. CollFan

CollFan Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Those were my exact thoughts while watching the game. While, as a fan of college soccer I could enjoy watching this match, this type of game as one of the few on TV isn't going to win over any fans or help the argument that more games need to be televised.

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Agreed 100%. I'm a diehard College soccer fanatic and I thought last nights game was torture. Let me say I hate that artificial surface at St. John's. It is not conducive to attractive soccer. The surface is too fast and too hard. You cannot play balls over the top into the corners as the ball will run out of bounds. Simple square balls or through ball passes are rarely connecting due to the speed of the ball on the surface. The ball is constantly bouncing on the hard surface. It's ANNOYING! The whole thing is FUGLY!! I'm certain if these two teams play on a nice grass field the aesthetics would be much more pleasing to the eye and much more possesion and attacking would occur. One of the most important plays in soccer is the need to be able to switch fields. On the St. John's surface 80% of balls played to switch fields roll out of bounds. Horrible. Playing on that artificial surface is not the beautiful game. The same goes for Creighton's surface.

19. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    One other thing. Sean Wheelock is a moron! Memo to Sean. Shut The "F" Up. You talk contantly about nothing. You deserve a neckpunch once @ the beginning of each half.

20. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    I know a great place!

21. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I think your comments about the pitch are spot on, especially considering it was wet.

There were countless simple square passes that just got away from the passer and went out of bounds. Through balls to the corner were worthless because no one could catch up to it. I don't know if the game would have been more attractive if it had been played on grass, but there wouldn't have been so many unforced errors as simple passes got played over the touch line.

22. Redmen Rule

Redmen Rule Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 16, 2004
    Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't work.
    These coaches don't like eachother.

23. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen. I could have screamed when Wheelock repeated every players name in the back for Connecticut as they passed it around the back 3 times before going forward. Also his proclomations of "this could be dangerous" when a team has possesion 40 yards from goal with 7 defenders goalside are really annoying. He really needs to watch some EPL games and pay attention to how good soccer announcers do the job.

24. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be much better if they stuck to large grass fields where enough width exists to see some possession and connected passes. I am a rabid soccer fan but I stopped watching last night at the half because the choppy, " route 1" to quote Wheelock, soccer was boring. The best game last year for attractive play was Tulsa versus SMU where they played on a large field and we saw a lot of passes strung together and good attacking.