UCLA Depth

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ilikesoccer, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ilikesoccer

ilikesoccer New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    HEy speaking of the depth UCLA has, there are some players who have not been mentioned. in particular the likes of Taylor Canel, a sophomore midfielder who has seen very little action this season. I would like to ask coach salcedo and anyone else why someone like him isn't playing?

Other bruins not seeing time:
    Greg Folk (freshman)
    Evan Corey (junior)
    Trini Gomez (sophomore)

2. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    That is an interesting topic.

Here's a slightly fuller list of Bruins who rarely appear:

Luke Mehring (sophomore) 4 games played, 2 gs -- ex-UCLA rookie of the year

Taylor Canel (sophomore) 3 gp, 0 gs -- ex-U-18 national pool

Mike Zaher (freshman) 8 gp, 0 gs -- ex-U-18 national team

Greg Folk (freshman) 6 gp, 0 gs -- current U-18 national team

Evan Corey (junior) 10 gp, 1 gs -- ex-ODP regional team, played more as freshman and sophomore

Trini Gomez (sophomore) 1 gp, 1 gs -- ex-U-17 national team

Perhaps there's been an injury or two, but that's an awfully impressive set of credentials. To some extent, these players are victims of Salcedo's decision to use a more stable line-up. With over 20 talented players, there isn't room for everyone.

3. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    A very impressive list of bench players. The dream of playing in the College Cup apparently drives HS recruits toward UCLA. I understand that next year's crop is again running true to form. With a single scholarship being split among 4 or 5 players, you realize the power that a winning program has over these young men. These players' soccer interests could be better served in other programs. The example that Hidalgo and Jiminez set by attending South Florida in order to standout on the pitch should be examined by future college recruits.
    You could argue that UCLA is just a great place to attend college, but I believe that the prospect of playing on a National powerhouse is the motivating factor for these players.

4. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Here is one more:

Ahmed Khalil (senior) 6 gp, 1 gs -- ex- U-18 National teamer, scored 8 goals at the USYSA 2001(?) U-19 Regionals, has tallied 2 goals and one assist in only 6 games this season, only 2 starts in 24 games over 4 years with 3 career goals and 1 assist. I wouldn't doubt if he's played less than 250 minutes during his career. He'd probably start at 95% of the college teams out there this season had he choosen a different school.

Mehring was good enough to be a part-time starter on the NC squad as a true freshman, but he hasn't seen much action this year. It will be interesting to see if Kiel McClung will be forced to the bench for the NCAA playoffs. It must be disappointing for him to be a potential starter on the U-20s ...

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    You have to wonder what some of these players were thinking when they chose UCLA.

Zaher and Folk are defenders who were going to have to win starting spots over established players that have soccer credentials equal to, if not better, than theirs. Given that most coaches aren't going to sub their backline until the outcome of the game (and, later on, a tournament berth) is decided, it shouldn't be surprising that neither Zaher or Folk is getting much time. Unless there are injuries, or someone leaves school early, it is hard to see where they will get much time next year either.

Similar problem for Canel and Gomez. Both are D-mid type players. They weren’t able to beat out the competition either. Again, most coaches are looking for stability and consistency in the back. Once they get it, they don’t tend to sub the position just to dole out playing time.

IMO, if you let two good coaches choose up sides from the UCLA roster you’d still have two top 20 teams. I’ll bet that the inter-squad scrimmages are some of the toughest games played all year.

6. ilikesoccer

ilikesoccer New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I understand the competition aspect of everything, but what i cant understand is i went to the UCLA-Cal game in berkeley a few weeks ago and Canel, Zaher, and Gomez werent even there. so these guys arent even a top 18-20 player on this team? Give me a break.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    For what it's worth, Salcedo used 27 players yesterday, including everyone mentioned in this thread.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    SoCal
    Of course he emptied the bench. The conference title has been won and a tournament berth is certain. Also, UCLA scored three goals in the first half.

9. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently spoke with Like Mehring's dad, who told me he has had to fight through a series of injuries this season.

As to the question, why do all these kids go to UCLA knowing that there's a chance they'll never start? Its the education stupid! Many of these kids have no illusions of MLS granduer, or even Europe. Both Luke and his older brother Jake (at UCSD) are at their respective schools for the right reasons, academics. UCLA has an incredible network of alumni in Southern California who open up a segment of the jop market that is unavailable to many. One of my former ODP kids (who incidently went on to play professionally) chose UCLA over Santa Clara simply because of the UCLA Medical School's reputation. As a pre-med undergraduate it was very alluring. Soccer was the secondary factor. I know its hard to believe for some of you, but it still happens this way for a lot of kids. Hats off to their parents for doing a good job.

10. woodwork

woodwork Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Marvell Wynne has been starting at McClung's right back position for the last several games and is doing very well. Kiel should not be starting on the U-20s if he's not a starter on his college team. Will Marvell get a look for the U-20s?