UCL OL v. Liverpool 10/20/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by AfrcnHrbMan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Finally watched the game. I partially take back what I speculated about Ederson. He showed his style with great footwork and good positioning, though I still would have preferred Bastos, who was unfortunately not fit. At any rate, he dropped off towards the end. Govou was terrific, which is a lot coming from me, because I'm usually one of his detractors.

I thought that Lyon's passing was crisper than Liverpool's, and as usual, OL had great one-touch football. But even though Toulalan and Gonalons did the job, we're still vulnerable defensively. Puel did the right thing in having our players press forward in the second half and keep Liverpool occupied on their end, as that kept them from wrecking too much havoc in our half, but we could have been punished for it if things hadn't gone our way.

And what else can I say about Lloris except that he's just awesome. He's joined Kallstrom and Toulalan on my list of players I secretly crush on.

Wait. I did not just write that.

:)

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I saw someone on a Liverpool forum say that they lost the game rather than Lyon winning it and thats very inaccurate and arrogant to say that but what else do you expect. Lyon are still rising and Liverpool have maxed out and are falling and the only thing that can save them is a rich arab.:)

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he flashed by carragher and crunched with agger.

the one was thinking "jeez, he's fast!"

the other was thinking, "god, he's tough!"

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    with the debt they apparently already have i'm not sure there are many that rich...

to defend the reds fans, i got some very good feedback from my post there, including rep and compliments to our team. feeling they lost the match rather than we winning it, thinking kuyt's goal should have been allowed, that 'pool dominated for "large periods"... i chalk it up more to a partisan point of view than arrogance.

5. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was a Liverpool fan long before I started being interested in Lyon, and in my opinion Lyon was the better team for most of the game.

I was caught in two minds, hoping for a Liverpool win but still wanting Lisandro to score a goal.

Liverpool's debt isn't the only problem, although I don't think it can be used as an excuse. Missing Gerrard and Torres is the big one, because Liverpool lack depth.

I was also puzzled as to why Rafa started Kelly over Glen Johnson, but all in all Lyon still probably would have won.

Oh, and Lloris...the next casillas

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I had to miss seeing this match because of a stupid grad school paper, but I got a very excited text from a friend after go ahead. I'm definitely excited about our CL performance so far.

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    i think Liverpool have lost 7 of their last 8 games. they are in chaos and should be low in confidence for the upcoming CL tie.

Lyon need to take advantage and win the group.