UC Santa Barbara 2007

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Gaucho95, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC

Please don't misunderstand. I'm also a huge fan of SB. You guys do have some great fans and rowdy too! It makes it fun to go to one of your games just to watch the kids in the stands. I just thought the Poly coach deserved some credit as he's only had the program for around 14 months and has worked hard to bring it up. TV is also an excellent coach, but I must admit that I was a little shocked he did not start DW the second half, especially after he scored SB's only goal. Was scratching my head on that one.

2. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    HUUUUUUGE GAME TONIGHT VS. CAL POLY!!! I am sure everyone should turn on gametracker or KCSB.org and listen. There is expected to be over 8000 people there.

3. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999

Largest crowd in college soccer for a regular season game in 20 years.

Oh yeah....GAUCHOS WIN 3-1!!!!!!!!

4. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    This game was big time. Huge crowd, awesome play by the Gauchos in the second half to get back into it, and overall an amazing collge soccer atmosphere.

It was funny, the coach for Cal Poly when TVS went to shake hands stated how because some of the sections were empty, there couldn't have been 8,000 people. What Poly's coach apparently doesn't know is that Harder can hold approx 16k.

Huge game will give us Big West and then we more than likely will get the bye.

5. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999

6. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I have heard a few quotes from the Cal Poly coach including this one and he seems like a real douche bag.

7. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC

Actually, he's a really nice guy. Most other coaches (club and college) like him as he's very approachable. As he's only had the program for around 14-15 months, I'm sure that the last couple of games have been a little difficult for him and the team. Experience will rectify that. So, I'd give a little leeway right now. JMHO

8. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Maybe he is a nice guy but you have to be pretty bitter and selfish to say that to the winning coach while shaking his hand. Just say "congratulations, good game" and move on.

9. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    True, if that is what was said, but as I'm assuming you and others were not in the middle of the field during the altercation, then we don't really know what was said unless it was televised or they were miked.

10. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I had all the coaches tell me what he said, along with some of the players who were around him at the end of the game. There is no reason for them to lie to me. As for the coach, sure he could be a nice and approachable guy, but he is a jackass when it comes to being put in his place. Definitely a sore loser.

11. forsomuch

forsomuch New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Those are some great videos of great fans... how fun would it be if MLS or other college teams could generate this kind of excitement?

Good job Gauchos!

12. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Of course something that would be considered huge if an east coast school did it, is barely recognized by anyone. Was that a record for the NCAA this year?

Tomorrow is a game at CSUF. For some reason we have difficulty against them at times. Pregame tailgating will be going on. Should be a good game and a big one for the Gauchos if they plan on getting a top 8 seed in NCAA.

14. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Gauchos beat CSUF 2-1. Had to come back from a 1-0 deficit with only 10 guys after G Curry got a straight red. Good last 20 min of the game, but the rest of it was really sloppy.

Good news is Gauchos get the automatic birth and at least share the Conference title. Now on to CSUN and their AYSO field.

15. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Gauchos officially own the Big West Crown!!!

We beat CSUN at their place for the first time since 2000 and the first time in Vom Steeg's tenure. We had to come back from 2-0 to win 3-2, but mostly all of the benched players got some time. Only poeple that didn't play were Proctor, Jalomo, and Kaplan. Not sure why on all them, but all the others looked pretty solid against a not bad CSUN team. They are not like years prior, but they still have something.

Big Senior night game on Saturday. We say goodbye to some solid players.

16. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    You are wrong, we beat CSUN there in 2000 and Vom Steeg was the coach then.

17. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Ok, well are you sure it was on the field we play on today??? All I know is that VS was saying that he finally did it.

18. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Well the game in 2000 was at Northridge, they may have had a different field back then but I kinda doubt it. He may have just said "finally" because it has been a long time and a lot of hard losses there.

19. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two articles from the SB News Press today, one a recap of the UW match and one of the fans from both soccer and the previous night's b-ball game.

Some excerpts from the latter article, written by the very popular Mark Patton:

The student community of Isla Vista was the cradle of flower power during the psychedelic '60s. But now it's all about the flour power.

Tortillas from heaven descended upon UCSB for the second straight night, with a Harder Stadium crowd of 9,641 showering its affection on the Gaucho soccer team throughout Wednesday's 1-0 victory over the University of Washington in the second round of the NCAA playoffs.

.....................................................................................

"We kind of had some idea that it would be a big crowd, but we didn't think it would be close to 10,000," said All-America defender Andy Iro. "Anytime you see that many people, you kind of turn it up a notch."

When UCSB's student body ran out of tortillas, they simply turned to other food groups.

Washington midfielder Raphael Cox said that he'd never seen anything like it.

"At least not in person," he said. "Just on TV -- English Premier League games or some pro games on TV, but not college-atmosphere games."

....................................................................................

Three public-address announcements were made during the first half of the soccer match to discourage the tortilla tossing. They fell on deaf ears.

The first serving of flour dervishes sailed onto the soccer pitch after Jon Curry put UCSB on the scoreboard in the 10th minute. His 25-footer from beyond the left top of the box curved just inside the right post, like a perfectly flung tortilla.

"I was expecting that," Curry said of the tortillas, "but I wasn't expecting the celery."

20. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    We just find new ways to improve our fan base don't we? Wish the flares were legal...

22. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Below is a link to various audio archives of UCSB sports from KCSB, but the one people here might be most interested in is the interview with Vom Steeg before the UW match (includes discussion of Avila turning pro). Scroll down toward the bottom. Also a post game interview with Chris Pontius.

http://www.kcsb.org/?page_id=6

23. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Just giving a boost to this thread so people know its going on. You can listen to the webcast or check out gametracker. I am hoping to Jesus that UCSB does not become one of those teams who are good to lose when they shouldn't though OSU is not a bad team.

24. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Gauchos go up 1-0 in the 5th on a rebound off a FK by O'Brien. Alfonso with the goal. Set pieces are definitely going to be a factor.