UC Santa Barbara 2007

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Gaucho95, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tim Vom Steeg will be one of several guests appearing live on tonight's 2 hour Fox Soccer Channel program. The show will focus on the future of soccer in the US and is being aired from the NSCAA convention.

The show starts at 5:00 PM PST with several re-airings.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/010407aab.html

Go Gauchos!!!

2. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Santa Barbara News Press is reporting that Tyler Rosenlund is leaving school and heading to Europe to play professionally. He was apparently pursued by Toronto FC and I speculate offered a GenAd contract.

It looks like Eric Avila will return for his junior year.

Go Gauchos!!!

3. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Who else do you think the Gauchos are picking up for next season. Heard maybe an ISC goalie? My son is interested in going there possibly in 2008.

4. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tim Vom Steeg earned his second NSCAA Coach of the Year honors in 3 years. I was under the impression that one had to be named a regional coach of the year in order to win the national coach of the year, but apparently not.

http://www.nscaa.com/articles/20070104200732163.php

Go Gauchos!!!

In terms of who the Gauchos will pick up next year, I do not think it will be a goalie as we have 2 who will be sophomores next year. One keeper is Bryant Rueckner who played with the US U-17 team and the other is Jason Badger who has extensive ODP experience. I would be surprised if a keeper is high on our list for this year, but I suspect Vom Steeg will be looking to pick up a keeper in the year Rueckner and Badger become upperclassmen, in 2008.

PS- Although this board has some discussion on the Gauchos, you will find a lot more discussion on the Gaucho Locos message board. If you've never visited, drop on by and have a look:

http://p220.ezboard.com/fucsbgauchosfrm2

5. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Thank you! That's a great chatsite for Gaucho news. So far as the keeper, we just heard a "rumor" down this way (CalSouth) that the ISC keeper may be going to UCSB 2007. If he is, he's really, really good and a very nice kid. Again, thanks for the website link. I'll pass it on to my son who's aspiring to play there.

6. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that a very highly visible mid-field player from Univ of San Diego, will be transferring to UCSB for this next year. Any confirmation of this?:confused:

7. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999

I can only confirm that I'm hearing the same rumor and have heard it from pretty credible sources.

8. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    How could you start a 2007 thread and not mention "Defending National Champions!"?

9. jrlm87

jrlm87 New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Santa Barbara
    Frimpong and Reynish were both taken in today's supplemental draft by Kansas City and RSL respectively. Congrats to both of them.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asking as a Revs fan, what can we expect of Byrne? I saw a couple of UCSB games, but was just curious about his overall play, and the expectations we should have of him?

11. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    name?

12. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    i think he is talking about ciaran o'brien. i heard from some other san diego players that he was looking to transfer to a higher profile school.

13. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Byrne made his living on the right flank, usually pretty wide. He played almost as a winger as UCSB played mostly with 1 or 2 strikers the last 2 years. He would always hustle back on D and is a fearless player. Played end-to-end soccer and has very good stamina in addition to his speed. His bread and butter was receiving the ball out wide and beating his man down the sideline and send crosses back into the middle. He's a very good crosser and took corner kicks. Always wanted to be involved and get involved into the game and would very vocally call for the ball out wide. I've also seen him get pretty frustrated when the ball would not be played out wide to him (I usually shared in this frustration if he was open), and I think that would throw him off his game a bit, but the passion and aggressiveness more than make up for that. He may also try to do too much with the ball, like take on two guys off the dribble, but he's not a selfish player and gets others involved into the flow.

I hope he works out for the Revs. He's one of my favorite Gauchos.

Hey, just do me a favor, take it easy on my boy Lochhead and show him some love! ;)

Go Gauchos!!!

14. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Correct. Safe to say he'd have a big impact.

15. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Ciarian O' Brian would have a great impact on UCSB's squad but his absece in USD's line up would only open up space for Mikey Barbieto, who is an amazing player in his own right...
    Things will be getting interesting in the next coming weeks.
    USD has quality players on the sideline and I could see them definatley becoming contenders for a national title in a few coming years..

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot for the info.

I'll try on Lochhead ... that's about the best I can promise. He looked pretty damn bad though most of the time he played for us, but hey ... he plays for my team, so it's never a question that I want him to succeed. :cool:

17. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not with the current coach, sorry.

18. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I dont know much about the coach at USD. I only know about the young talent that the team has so I assume they will be contenders in the coming years. Whats wrong with the coaching?

19. GauchoSoccerManiac

Sep 10, 2005
    Perhaps posts #15, 17 and 18 should be split off to a new USD 2007 thread.

20. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to UCSB....

Santa Barbara submitted bids to host the College Cup in 2009 and/or 2010.

21. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They bid to host one or the other, not both years. I think 2010 would be ideal because the World Cup will take place a few months beforehand. It would be great to benefit from the excitement and added soccer fans the World Cup brings each time.

In other news, it looks like the Columbus Crew will be visiting UCSB again this year (they came last year as well).

The Crew is scheduled to spend Feb. 4-18 in Bradenton, Fla., where it will play exhibition games against amateur and Major League Soccer opponents. A game at FC Dallas in honor of team founder Lamar Hunt is in the works, as is a trip to California, possibly as guests of UC-Santa Barbara. A stay in Jekyll Island, Ga., and an overseas trip at the end of March are also possibilities.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/crew/crew.php?story=dispatch/2007/01/08/20070108-D10-01.html

22. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Joe Eubanks commits to the Gauchos.

State and Regional ODP player from Denver, CO. Went to same high school and played for the same club (Colorado Rush) as Otii. I believe he's a forward. Anyone know more?

23. GauchoSoccerManiac

Sep 10, 2005
  24. CalSoccerGuy

CalSoccerGuy New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    How about the UCSB tradition of being the equal of UNLV Basketball of the 90s. Frimpong (sp?) gets arrested for rape, posts bail, then gets arrested again for another rape charge by another victim. Classy stuff, Gauchos! Maybe TVS should start chewing on a towel during the games.

25. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    And maybe you should hold your comments till he is actually convicted of something.